Centre pin reels

nigefrance

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just bought a Mordex Merlin centre pin reel. Runs well and the ratchet operated by a lever on the back plate works fine. However, there is another small lever on the front face of the reel in the centre which on my reel does nothing. I opened the reel and this lever is just loose with a small piece of wire/spring, I've no idea how it goes back together as I suspect the spring was originally bigger and is now broke. It doesn't effect me enjoying the reel but I'm intrigued as to its original purpose, maybe it locked the reel?

Thanks

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Release Lever Pic

Got this from a post a few years ago ... any help ?

[ame="http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...aselever01.jpg"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket[/ame]

(if this link doesn't work I will try again)

Chavender also posted a really good photo ages ago of a Trudex (another Youngs Centre Pin) which has the same spring / lever arrangement.

OK ... The picture didn't seem to work - sorry about that.

Hopefully this will ....

Click on this link (or cut and paste it maybe) which should take you to the thread which has the picture in it .......

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/29737-centrepin-advice-please.html

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
I believe the lever you are refering to holds the spool on. If the spool isn't locked on it may become unatatched whilst fishing. The spring holds the lever in place thus stopping the spool coming off by accident.

nigefrance

Reaction score
Thanks & another question

Many thanks to all for the advice. Now sorted and back in one piece !

Can you help me with a couple more questions:-

Do I need a special grease or will a car type general purpose grease be OK?

Which way should the line come off the reel when trotting or is it just a matter of preference

Thanks again

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Grease is ok for the check mechanism, but light oil for the bearing itself - sewing-machine oil is best; comes from needlework/craft/haberdashery shops at under two quid a small bottle. Unship spool and wipe pin after each trip and apply a drop. (Before each trip, too, if it's been a while...)
Line comes off the top in ferocious side-winds and for very light-float trotting; off the bottom for heavier work and Nottingham/Wallis casting. If you can be bothered.
If there's that much of a side-wind (blowing across you towards the reel, so it blows any slack line aound the reel stem or even behind the spool), then frankly, I'd forget the 'pin and use a closed-face reel.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The general answer to this is , sewing machine oil, and top or bottom is just what you feel comfortable with.
I prefer top myself, easier in a gusty wind for trotting.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I admit to carrying my 501 in the same pouch as my Bewick, and TBH the 501 made more appearances than the pin last season.

Snap it is Alan..........

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Now that you have your reel back together properly you need to adjust the end-float with the small screw in the middle of the boss that holds that spring and screw in place.

I have lost count of the number of centrepin reels I have held where that screw is done up too tight causing the release catch arm to bind in its slot on the centrepin shaft.

Tighten the screw inwards until you feel it just start to bind up and stop. Now screw it back outwards an eight of a turn at the very least, perhaps as much as a quarter of a turn. Any less and you will wear parts out. If you look at that arm I'd bet it has marks top or bottom where it has rubbed against the side of its slot...I've yet to see a reel that didn't have those marks.

Now you can begin the process of cleaning it totally and lubricating it with a thin oil, then strip and clean again, lube and clean. When you can spin it for a minute and the oil comes out as clean as it went in, it is ready for the bankside and a gentle current will pull line of it when layed on its back.

Sure, you don't have to bother to get it that good..but you will be glad you did.

Sound reel, the Merlin, if a little heavy and the above will reduce the drag it gives bringing it inline with a lighter built, but more fragile reel.

Watch the tension on the 3 screws that hold the plastic centre boss on....wind them too tight and the plastic willl crack !

The Merlin has fixed handles and the only way to clean them is to keep flushing with a brush and paraffin, or better still WD40, until no more dirt comes out, then lube with thin oil.

Contrary to a lot of other engineers, I have no problem with 3 in 1 oil for 'pins, but many would disagree. I find it fine as long as it is cleaned and replaced a few times a year. I have some reels going back to the 40's they've had nothing else during my ownership and are fine.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
A reely (sorry) good oil if you can find it is SpeedX. It's a US product that is designed for oiling small bearing races. Comes in 2 flavours ReelX and SpeedX, but the SpeedX is the one you want as it's less viscous. You might find it in a Skate shop as it is used for in-line skate bearings as well.

If you want to try Googling it type SpeedX lube rather than oil.

You can have fun playing with the various multiplier tuning oils such as Rocket until you get an oil that gives the performance you want (but then you'd be a reel centrepin tart!):eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Singer sewing machine oil is my choice. Very thin lubricating oil that has my reels wizzing with the slightest inertia. I use it to wipe over the reels after use also leaving a protective film on them, just whipe it off before using.

nigefrance

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for your fantastic replies. What a great forum and source of information. Cheers

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Well I do rather make do...living in the countryside as I do.....so 3 in 1 from Halfords, when I go to that there Guildford is a bit of a cop-out, I suppose.:)

But I had no idea that Singer oil was still in production.....I shall look into that. Thanks !

A good oil really does make a difference. I bought a fly reel direct from China and the stuff in it was clearly fish based. A good clean and some 3 in 1 and it trandformed it, so I imagine an even better oil will be better still. Not that I'm saying 3 in 1 is a really good oil...it's just a lot better than squeezed sardine.

I do recall that one of our British centrepin makers stated on his site that he would not honour a warranty claim if the reel had been lubricated with.....I think, 3 in 1 oil.

Since his reels, and they are fantastic, cost more than my car .... it was never a problem for me.

Edit: It's me own fault...I just never looked....

SINGER SEWING MACHINE OIL - 125 ML - "SUPER OIL" on eBay (end time 24-Apr-10 20:19:53 BST)

Last edited:

inspiron

Reaction score
I also possess one of these reels. I have taken the black plastic hub off the reel, the spring popped out along with the lever that releases the spool. My questions are; should the spring be a roughish "V" shape or have I inadvertently broken it? What is the arrangement for fitting the lever and spring back on?

In hindsight I shouldnt have been so cavalier when I took it apart!

Many thanks in advance.

Sam

quickcedo

Reaction score
I did the same with mine and I'm not taking it apart to look! But if memory serves it is "v" shaped and as you look at the reel it goes on the left of the clip. (I think). Sorry to be so vague.
P.s I bought mine cheep coz someone had over tightened the 3 retaining screws and snapped the plastic cover (thats why I aint taking it apart to look) so be careful when putting it back together not to do the same.

inspiron

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply MT. I will have another look at it later, I seem to have tried every which way! Before I took the reel apart the spool fitted perfectly and the little black adjuster screw in the top of the hub screwed in flush with the sides of the hub. Now I have tried to put it back together, when the screw is in flush, the spool sits about 4mm of the backplate!! I will try and post various pictures to show the problems im having!

Sam