Surface Fishing

Carpfish_2004

Reaction score
I'm fishing open water with not alot of snags, fish mainly between 15 - 25lbs and pretty scardly. I'll also be using dog biscuits and popups on a size 10 hook-
Would I be able to use 12lb line straight through the hook on a controller setup?
OR
Should I use an 8lb hooklength?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use 12Ib when there biting but you could go down to 8Ib if there being a bit shy of the bait as long as there not all 20's (wishful thinking). On my water they are mainly 10-15Ib.

Carpfish_2004

Reaction score
used the 8lb hooklength with the 12lb mainline today and it handled the capture of a 21lb carp very well. Result!!!

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Danny, use 12lb mainline or what you normally use then tie 10 yards of flouro at the end about 8lb, that'll do the trick matey.

D

Deecy

10 yards ? is that a hooklength.Fluro sinks doesn't it ? Sinking hooklength means the bait draws to the controller, also stiff (or stiffer) than your average mono means Carp have great difficulty taking the bait.There are plenty of good clear monos out there, Wychwood do some for the fluff flingers and then there is double strength which although not clear is often used.Then of course there is floating braid but no one would try that would they ????

Carpfish_2004

Reaction score
I think the water conditions are the key factor when surface fishing. Yesterday, i used about an 8 foot hooklength of 8lb line and when it was choppy I degreased the line and had a 11lber and then the conditions calmed at about 5oclock and when the water was totally still, i noticed the carp sucking dwn the freebies like there was no tomorrow yet turning away at mine. So I used some vasaline to grease it right upto the bait and the 21lber sucked my bait dwn beautifully. It may have been the way the fish approached the bait, it didnt see my line, i really dont know but ive had alot of fish on the floating hooklength in the past on this water and alot of turn aways when fishing with a sinking hooklength. It may just be the water, fish on different waters may spook differently or something. I think if i'd stayed into till 7 or 8 ish yesterday i would have had more fish. Was gonna go again today but the weather isnt good enough for carping down ere in the south east today, anyway theres always tomorrow.

Cheers lads!

C

clicktochange

If you are using your barbel rod, I'd have thought 12lb line would be too heavy for it. I would set my drag very light to protect the rod, just in case - in which case I would just use eight.
Eight's well ok, I reckon, if there are no snags.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Why do you think 12Ib is to heavy for a Barbel rod. If they can handle double figure barbel on 12Ib why not Carp.

B

Budgie Burgess

A lot of guys use 12lb and more for flood water barbel fishing.

B

Budgie Burgess

Danny are the fish turning away at the last minute or taking the bait and spitting it out? Whats the light like ie sunny or dull?

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Is there a line available that floats without the need for greasing when fishing with a controller ?

If the line is allowed to sink when using a controller it seems IMO to defeat the object.

The fly fisherman use one that has a hollow centre and I have heard mention of copolymer line in relation to Matt Hayes surface missile.

Have never fished for carp but plan to soon and need to get my head around this.

D

Deecy

Tom it does defeat the object it is very much like stick float fishing you need a floating line.Braid as a mainline floats.Even the 'sinking' ones.
Clicktochange.8lb GR60 breaks around 12-14lb so stated breaking strain has little to do with matters.

Carpfish_2004

Reaction score
Budgie they were turning away at the last second when it was calm and sunnywhen my line was sunk until i put some vasaline on the line, then they were taking it.

B

Budgie Burgess

Danny Ive always found that keeping the hook length floating and the last couple of inches degreased so that it sits not on the surface but in the surface film the best bet.In bright conditions the line near the hook floating casts a shadow which I have found to spook fish as you say at the last moment far more than the line being sunk.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As budgie says grease to within 3-4 inch of bait. The dry fly anglers learnt this long ago. If you view your rig underwater you will see a large crack in the surface reflecting light down. Leading stright to your bait.

Danny if you would like to see this i can email you the pic.

C

clicktochange

I reckon it depends where you fish. I've had to put a tiny shot about a foot from the hook to make sure the last couple of feet are NOT on the surface... also I've found grease almost to the end did the trick. It must be the light making the diference, surely...

B

Budgie Burgess

Oh its definately the light.Read one of the trout writers and what they say about FNS -Floating Nylon Syndrome.

Y

yoggy

keep it simple 10lb/12lb straight through,,i"ve never bothered with a hook length when surface fishing and i"ve caught 100"s of carp.