Bird seed spod mix?

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
To whom it may interest,
i have been looking for a cheap, bulk spod mix which wont cost £9 a small pot because its got a carpy name on it! i have looked at many threads and posts and they all say the pigeon/bird food is good but where? and how much? is many of the questions id like awnsered along with what brand name or type?
if anyone can give any details at all it will be taken into great consideration and thankfullnes.

bigchub

Reaction score
Get some parti-blend or similar bird seed mix and mix it 50/50 with hemp. I picked up a sack of British Wild Bird mix from my local farm shop and 10kg only cost £12.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Hi carp man,

Jollies is one of the best places to look, and there you can mix the seed you want to make the mix you want.

Many of the pigeon mixes are OK, but some need seeds taking out, as there is tomuch of one kind, and others need some seed putting in.

I grew up doing my fishing with seeds of all different kinds all year round, my Father used to Race pigeons, ( I dont mean he raced against them himself :)). he also started his own company selling pigeon mixes.

One of the best as a basic mix will be called a Young Bird Mix, it doesnt matter about the brand, it's the finished seed that counts.

When you have got the mix you want, remember the most important thing to do is soak it for at least 24 hours, then cook it for around 20 minutes. If you dont sock the seeds long enough they dont cook as they should, and then they can cuase problems to the fish.

If you want to put hemp and tares in the mix, you wont find these with the bird seeds at Jollies, in my local shop they are with the groundbait.

Titmus are another company but not as cheap as Jollies

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
There's pigeon conditioner (it's the aniseed one) and one brand is Red Band, but other comapnies do similar mixes. Try get one with not too much wheat in it although wheat on its own stewed can be good.

Try general pet food stores as well as Jollies (as Ray says), look in yellow pages or try a goggle for pigeon feeds in your area.

When you cook seeds you can add other flavours, for more aniseed add some Chinese Five Spice or star annise. Add Chilli if you like, but be careful not to overdue it. A bit of salt works wonders and helps water boil quicker and soften seeds faster and fish love salt.

PS: Oh and when it's cooked and if it's a bit on the dry side, add some Nam Pla, Thai fish sauce.

Last edited:

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
thanks everyone for their reply but id be buying online so postage is an issue as well.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Ok, so you have to pay for delivery, but take this, £6.99. The mix is cheaper than I can buy (mine being £14) and I have to pay for petrol to collect it, about £4. The difference is negligible, I might do this in future, but stack it up - less than £20 for 20kgs - less than £1 per kilo? T'ain't bad.

dadondo

Reaction score
have you looked at trapings mix its used for rearing pheasants it is based around aniseed with all sorts of small to medium seeds in ,but the best thing about this mix is if you soak it for 24hrs and then heat it to boiling point then leave in an air tight bucket for 12hours the seeds produce a thick slime which sits on the bottom and spreads out leaving loads of attraction for mr carp.

quickcedo

Reaction score
That was it Trapping and conditioner. Whooo hooo!
I used to add Chickpeas, Butterbeans, Blackeyed peas, Sweetcorn and a few other bits I really can't remember. It all went into a bucket so I had a choice of hookbaits too. After it had been in the bucket a few hours the sugars would start to come out to make the most sticky mess imaginable, the Carp loved it.

jonty 2

Reaction score
Check out your local agricultural/seed merchants (yellow pages) and see if they deliver. Most of the time they are cheaper delivery/quicker delivery than the internet.

Also be aware that you really want a mix with little or no white sunflower seeds as these have a habit of being very bouyant and will have your fish following them downwind.

Redband (my favourite spod base mix) only needs soaking for 48hrs. Fill a large bucket/tub 1/2 full of seed and then fill to top with water (cold will do fine) place on the lid and wait. After 48hrs the seed will have swelled up to the top of the bucket so try to judge how much you'll be needing at dry mix stage. It freezes down well and if made in large batches, bag into usable amounts.

When spodding I like to include Wheat in the mix (sorry Jeff) as the gluten helps to bind the mix a little and also creates an attractive cloud in the water column.

little oik

Reaction score
have you looked at trapings mix its used for rearing pheasants it is based around aniseed with all sorts of small to medium seeds in ,but the best thing about this mix is if you soak it for 24hrs and then heat it to boiling point then leave in an air tight bucket for 12hours the seeds produce a thick slime which sits on the bottom and spreads out leaving loads of attraction for mr carp.

I hadn't thought of that ,the nearest place that I can get pigeon conditioner is over 100 miles away ,but we have gun clubs all around us and they must get feed to rear their pheasants as I have seen them unload the young ones.Good thinking batman

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
When spodding I like to include Wheat in the mix (sorry Jeff)
No problem. I found that it feeds fish more than the other seeds, but a sack of wheat for stewing is about £5 or £6. Add as much as you want then!

I used to have some great fun days with my mate Stuart and his dad fishing on chick peas and just throwing stewed wheat into the margins.

jonty 2

Reaction score
Jeff
Agreed that Wheat can be a filler but a little goes a long way when it comes to producing gluten. :D

Not fished stewed wheat for many a year. Used to get some nice roach on it when in my teens on the local cut.

jonty 2

Reaction score
Nice article Jeff. Nothing like watching a float at close quarters as it knocks and dithers before sliding away.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have been using Bucktons pigeon conditioner for many years and find it easy to prepare and very effective. It is a fraction of the cost of hemp and work just as well if not better in many cases.
Bucktons Pet Food as you can see from their website there are loads of seed mixes to play with.
One recipe I have been using is standard party mix saoked for 24 hours and then drained and put into a thermo box and boiling water poured over the top. Put the lid on and leave for another 12 hours or so. You will get a very sweet and sugary sticky seed mix, to this add carnation milk and a couple of bags of white sugar. The carp just cant get enough of this mix. Oh and if you are suffering constant liners and cant get a pick up try putting some spod mix into an armour mesh bag and put it on the hair.

marshman

Reaction score
try your local allotment assocation,i can get hemp,pigeon food and other bird foods for just over a quid a kilo,you may have to join but its only a couple of quid a year