looking for a pb

davie

Reaction score
hi everyone, anyone else looking for a new pb this year, i need to beat 20lbs 04 oz for mine,,good luck to those who are giving it a try

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

Hello Davie, I'm certainly looking to beat my PB this year, mine stands at 28.07 and I'll be looking to better it with in the next 3 months (when their weights are normally a bit higher)

Good luck and tight lines!

ddavidneon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it wont hurt in the bait - one ofmine has it in, one doesnt. both catch!??

Rich P

Reaction score
I wonder if davie did eventually catch a bigger fish? Personally speaking, I hope to achieve that eventuality every time I go fishing. :)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I wonder if davie did eventually catch a bigger fish? Personally speaking, I hope to achieve that eventuality every time I go fishing. :)

I wondered as well ?

Can't see anything wrong with wanting to up his P.B., it's not a life and death ambition.

Mind; I wondered about some of the replies ?

Bob

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I've stopped chasing PB's.... the obsession with going for bigger and better every time eats away at the enjoyment of your sport, I did all the running round after lumps years ago, There's too much emphasis on the numbers game, So nowadays I'm as happy with a 3lb wildie on a beanstick and pin as I am with a 20lber.... Take the time to smell the flowers along the way and you'll find the journey that much sweeter....

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I've stopped chasing PB's.... the obsession with going for bigger and better every time eats away at the enjoyment of your sport, I did all the running round after lumps years ago, There's too much emphasis on the numbers game, So nowadays I'm as happy with a 3lb wildie on a beanstick and pin as I am with a 20lber.... Take the time to smell the flowers along the way and you'll find the journey that much sweeter....

Arthur,

Everyone to there own, but I believe most anglers don't chase P.B.s, they come along when fishing, be that Pleasure or Carp/Specimen fishing !!

Chaser of P.B.s seem to like what they do and it's only part of their fishing and it's others that seem to have a problem with it ?

Of course you can get to a stage where the P B list is high and it's relatively hard to break a P.B., it does not stop you trying and it certainly don't spoil your enjoyment of angling.

Funny old game angling !!

Bob

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Chaser of P.B.s seem to like what they do and it's only part of their fishing and it's others that seem to have a problem with it ?
therein is an erroneous assumption Bob.... I don't have a problem with it.... I'm just trying to inject a little balance to the point of fishing and what the chase for big numbers can cost...

I know 3 friends whose chase for big numbers cost them their marriage, house, and access to their kids... is fishing really supposed to be about that....?

I chased the numbers for a long time from the 70's through to the 90's and I spent a lot of bank time away from my home and wife, fortunately I saw the light and took a step back.... and that step back was the catalyst for the renewed enjoyment of angling.... it is after all supposed to be a gentle sport/pastime, not an obsession...

If records are what you want, then fine..... but just remember that angling is supposed to be fun

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
therein is an erroneous assumption Bob.... I don't have a problem with it.... I'm just trying to inject a little balance to the point of fishing and what the chase for big numbers can cost...

I know 3 friends whose chase for big numbers cost them their marriage, house, and access to their kids... is fishing really supposed to be about that....?

I chased the numbers for a long time from the 70's through to the 90's and I spent a lot of bank time away from my home and wife, fortunately I saw the light and took a step back.... and that step back was the catalyst for the renewed enjoyment of angling.... it is after all supposed to be a gentle sport/pastime, not an obsession...

If records are what you want, then fine..... but just remember that angling is supposed to be fun

Arthur,

I was not saying it was you, what I'm trying to say is, there's an assumption that chasing P.B.s will ruin your fishing.

As you know I have a lot of Match fishing mates, their obsession with the matching scene is just as obsessive as those chasing P.B.s.

And the drive for catching bigger and bigger fish, can as you say lead to breakdowns in relationships, but no more that any other sport, hobby, work, women or just about anything that takes over your life.

I have a decent P.B. list, it came about through a lifetime of angling, they mean very little to me, it was the challenge of the fishing at the time and the species I was fishing for that meant a lot to me.

P.B.s are only numbers much the same as match weights or the amount of fish caught, they mean very little, but they are a legitimate target for some anglers.

I would love a 5lb Perch, I don't fish circuit waters, so the chances of chasing one are slim, but I still do a lot of Perch fishing and enjoy every moment of it.

Who knows one day that ambition might come to fruition and a monster Lea Perch comes to the net.

Would it change my life, of course not, it's only a number.

Bob