Method Feeder Set Up

roundhead1642

Reaction score
I recently tried out using a method feeder for the first time and had a few problems. I could do with some advice to make sure I was set up right. I would start out by saying I am recently returned to coarse fishing after a 20 year sabbatical so am still finding my way with modern tackle.
I have recently put 8lb feeder braid on a reel and was using this with a 15g method feeder and pellet hook bait. The feeder was the type that is fixed to the line and the hook link attached to a short piece of elastic. A buffered bolt rig so to speak.
I had measured the distance to my target swim with practice casts and the popped the line in the clip to ensure consistence when I cast my bait. The problem was that my first two casts resulted in the whole rig pinging of. Is this simply down to using braid as a main line or simply braid of too light breaking strain? Alternatively is there something that I should have added to the rig that could have avoided this?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I recently tried out using a method feeder for the first time and had a few problems. I could do with some advice to make sure I was set up right. I would start out by saying I am recently returned to coarse fishing after a 20 year sabbatical so am still finding my way with modern tackle.
I have recently put 8lb feeder braid on a reel and was using this with a 15g method feeder and pellet hook bait. The feeder was the type that is fixed to the line and the hook link attached to a short piece of elastic. A buffered bolt rig so to speak.
I had measured the distance to my target swim with practice casts and the popped the line in the clip to ensure consistence when I cast my bait. The problem was that my first two casts resulted in the whole rig pinging of. Is this simply down to using braid as a main line or simply braid of too light breaking strain? Alternatively is there something that I should have added to the rig that could have avoided this?

Do you use a shock leader?
Jerry

roundhead1642

Reaction score
Guessing not as not sure what one is. I had clipped the feeder on to a swivel that was tied directly to the braid.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Shock Leaders are used to take the extra weight of the cast and to prevent line breaks – personally, unless fishing at long distance, I wouldn’t use braid as a mainline for method feeders.
Jerry

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
With a 15g method feeder I would use 4lb mono mainline.
Can't think why your braid snapped unless it was damaged.
If you want to use braid I suggest you use at least 20lb breaking strain,
but I can't see any advantage TBH. when you get a bite on the method it usually rips the tip round anyway. No need for finesse..
The only time I may consider using braid would be for feeder fishing on a deep pacey river as it cuts down on resistance and exaggerates shy bites.

nicky

Reaction score
i use 8-10lb line with the method feeder as i like the extra stretch and buffer the mono provides, but i do use 8lb braid that i have had on for years for bream and silver fish with a feeder but i wouldnt use it with a method feeder i would imagine a big carp take would snap it like cotton

roundhead1642

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I think next time I will try with Mono and see how it wirks out.

dangermouse

Reaction score
You might also want to consider buying some method feeders that don`t have the elastic built in. That type of feeder is banned at a lot of waters because it`s effectively a tether rig.

Beaker

Reaction score
I,ve recently started using the new Korum dura method feeders and think they are brill, the best method feeders I have ever used. i highle rccomend them.

roundhead1642

Reaction score
You might also want to consider buying some method feeders that don`t have the elastic built in. That type of feeder is banned at a lot of waters because it`s effectively a tether rig.

Interestingley while thinking about the rig I started to think "hang on! if the fish takes this bait and it snaps above the feeder how the hell is it supposed to shake it?!". I didn't like the idea so have replaced the ones I had with more fish friendly designs. I didn't know the ones with elastic are banned at some venues but can understand why!

dangermouse

Reaction score
Interestingley while thinking about the rig I started to think "hang on! if the fish takes this bait and it snaps above the feeder how the hell is it supposed to shake it?!". I didn't like the idea so have replaced the ones I had with more fish friendly designs. I didn't know the ones with elastic are banned at some venues but can understand why!

:thumbs: It`s not so much that that type of feeder is banned but that most places won`t allow bolt rigs. You don`t really need a bolt rig with the method feeder anyway, the weight of the feeder tends to make it act like one.