Korum carp rods,any good?

paul1234

Reaction score
Basically as the title says,anybody who owns.or has had experience with these rods would be gd to hear about them :)
Cheers
Paul

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 ----------

Or any rod kindof 50quid or under?,ive looked at the diawa black widows they look ok :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I doubt that you'll get too much feedback on the Korum rods. Three reasons for that, they are relatively new, there aren't that many carpers on here and Korum isn't really a brand that most hardcore carpers take much notice of. I've seen no talk of them on the carp forums and have yet to see any in a shop or on the bank. For the third reason given above, I'm surprised the Korum carp rods weren't released with Avid branding.

The Black Widows are pretty damned good for the money. In a similar price bracket, the JRC Contact rods are supposed to be reasonably good. The budget Chub and Sonik rods are also well regarded and worthy of consideration.

paul1234

Reaction score
I doubt that you'll get too much feedback on the Korum rods. Three reasons for that, they are relatively new, there aren't that many carpers on here and Korum isn't really a brand that most hardcore carpers take much notice of. I've seen no talk of them on the carp forums and have yet to see any in a shop or on the bank. For the third reason given above, I'm surprised the Korum carp rods weren't released with Avid branding.

The Black Widows are pretty damned good for the money. In a similar price bracket, the JRC Contact rods are supposed to be reasonably good. The budget Chub and Sonik rods are also well regarded and worthy of consideration.

Yea ive not seen a great deal of info anywhere on them,unlike the black widows,they seem to have quiet a good amount of positive feedback,im not a serious carper myself hense why i want something fairly inexpensive,as they will only get used a few times a year,not to mention im Clumpsy sod with rods lol,cheers for your input :)

nicepix

Reaction score
Has anyone got views on the Fox range? I'm also looking at buying one or two carp rods, either 2.75lb and / or 3lb flavours. I prefer through action rods to tippy ones.

<Edit> The waters I intend to use them on are large French lakes, but not casting half a kilo of bait to the far shore. I'm just looking for something that will handle carp between 12lb and 30lb in relatively weed free waters at less than 50 metres.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Has anyone got views on the Fox range? I'm also looking at buying one or two carp rods, either 2.75lb and / or 3lb flavours. I prefer through action rods to tippy ones.

<Edit> The waters I intend to use them on are large French lakes, but not casting half a kilo of bait to the far shore. I'm just looking for something that will handle carp between 12lb and 30lb in relatively weed free waters at less than 50 metres.

Don't expect to get a new through action carp rod (at least without spending a fair lump of cash). You would probably be better served looking to the second hand market and a rod from the early to mid-nineties. Something along the lines of the original Daiwa Powermesh rods in 2.5/2.75lb might suit nicely. Failing that, a Barbel floodwater rod might work. They can be had in 2.75 (Fox Floodwater) and will be much more through actioned than the vast majority of similarly rated modern carp rods.

nicepix

Reaction score
Don't expect to get a new through action carp rod (at least without spending a fair lump of cash). You would probably be better served looking to the second hand market and a rod from the early to mid-nineties. Something along the lines of the original Daiwa Powermesh rods in 2.5/2.75lb might suit nicely. Failing that, a Barbel floodwater rod might work. They can be had in 2.75 (Fox Floodwater) and will be much more through actioned than the vast majority of similarly rated modern carp rods.

I had thought of getting a barbel rod around 2.5lb test curve for close in carping as they tend to have more rod rings which is handy for casting when using the centrepin in tight swims such as under trees when I can't do proper cast.

My favourite carp rod is actually a JW Pike Deadbait rod. It has a lovely through action and yet chucks a lead just as far as the faster action and heavier 3.5lb TC Greys GT3. If I could find one or two carp rods with a similar action to the JW I'd be prepared to spend around £120 each. I think as you say that second hand is a good option.

B

binka

As daft as it might sound Clive the Fox Warrior 2.75lb deadbait rods would probably fit the bill perfectly.... they are softer on the tip than the carp equivalent and they do actually have a nice through action all the way to the butt.

Cheap as chips at around £50 - £60 each new or whatever you can find 'em for on Ebay and nice quality too.

smufter

Reaction score
Chub Outkasts. You can buy them new for around £60.00 each and they are now known as the "S" or you could pick up a couple of second hand ones (just known as Outkasts) for about £50.00 the pair. Great rods.
As for Korum rods....I had a couple of their CS feeders and they were very good. A bit undergunned for "proper" carping but based on my experiences I would have no problem with using Korum's out and out carp rods.
In March of this year I bought a couple of the Chub Outkast "Small water" carp rods as most of my fishing is carried out on smaller lakes. I don't like using heavy leads or fishing massive great baits, and these rods are superb. "Only" 11' in length (I find I'm a bit more accurate with a slightly shorter rod) and only 2.25tc but they have fantastic fish playing qualities. I caught my new pb a couple of weeks ago (22lb Mirror) which put up a fair old scrap. The rods handled it brilliantly. I find them ideal for my type of fishing, small PVA bags, stringers, single baits etc. They are even good for freelining/floater fishing, a Jack of all trades. They are my "go to" rods now, the 2.75's don't get a look in.

nicepix

Reaction score
On of the problems I have is that there are no tackle shops to be able to try out the rods over here. When I was looking for a heavy carp rod back in the UK I tried a few of the Chub range and found them unbalanced and tip heavy. In the end I got a Greys GT3 that suited me better in the shop. However, in the field it is far too stiff for most of my fishing and I now use it as a spod come catfish rod. Maybe the lighter versions would not be as fierce but they still only have the mandatory 6 rings which in my mind means that the manufacturer doesn't expect them to bend much past the ferrule.

I was hoping that the Korda rods mentioned in the first post might have attracted some positive comments as I understood Korda were a branch of Preston who make some good rods.

At the minute I'm looking at S/H Ballistas on eBay or possibly a pair of Fox Rangers for my two main carp rods and possibly a heavy barbel rod for close in work as I really would like this rod to have rings down the butt section to aid casting with the centrepin in tight corners.

Binka, Fox don't currently list deadbait rods. Are you talking about previous models?

paul1234

Reaction score
On of the problems I have is that there are no tackle shops to be able to try out the rods over here. When I was looking for a heavy carp rod back in the UK I tried a few of the Chub range and found them unbalanced and tip heavy. In the end I got a Greys GT3 that suited me better in the shop. However, in the field it is far too stiff for most of my fishing and I now use it as a spod come catfish rod. Maybe the lighter versions would not be as fierce but they still only have the mandatory 6 rings which in my mind means that the manufacturer doesn't expect them to bend much past the ferrule.

I was hoping that the Korda rods mentioned in the first post might have attracted some positive comments as I understood Korda were a branch of Preston who make some good rods.

At the minute I'm looking at S/H Ballistas on eBay or possibly a pair of Fox Rangers for my two main carp rods and possibly a heavy barbel rod for close in work as I really would like this rod to have rings down the butt section to aid casting with the centrepin in tight corners.

Binka, Fox don't currently list deadbait rods. Are you talking about previous models?

Think you mean korum :p