Carp with no lips!

law

Reaction score
I have watched John Wilson (TV & DVD) catch and land wild carp on a fly rod with centre pin reel. At least he allows the fish to run and then bring it back gradually slowly tiring the fish so as to avoid damaging it.

Although this discussion started by mentioning a couple who were fly fishing for carp, what I am referring to happens with all forms of carp fishing, by a minority I would expect or hope, that is dragging or yanking as if it is the race to drag the carp out of the water as fast as possible to hopefully get in to another one. If I take half an hour playing an active or double figure carp before I bank it I am happy with that, it is part of the sport, or used to be, or so I thought.

Doesnt that describe match fishing?

thecrow

Reaction score
I have watched John Wilson (TV & DVD) catch and land wild carp on a fly rod with centre pin reel. At least he allows the fish to run and then bring it back gradually slowly tiring the fish so as to avoid damaging it.

Although this discussion started by mentioning a couple who were fly fishing for carp, what I am referring to happens with all forms of carp fishing, by a minority I would expect or hope, that is dragging or yanking as if it is the race to drag the carp out of the water as fast as possible to hopefully get in to another one. If I take half an hour playing an active or double figure carp before I bank it I am happy with that, it is part of the sport, or used to be, or so I thought.

Sorry but if you did that it would be rank bad angling, have you any idea of the build up of acid that would happen playing a fish for that long, there isn't a carp swimming in this country that would take that long to land.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Also it has been shown that exhaustion is the largest cause of fish death in angling................

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Lads lets be gentle with PJ , though I am sure he can stand up for himself , none of this is personal PJ just a debate on a forum.

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
Lads lets be gentle with PJ , though I am sure he can stand up for himself , none of this is personal PJ just a debate on a forum.

I never took it any other way :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Also it has been shown that exhaustion is the largest cause of fish death in angling................

I never said... total exhaustion, I said 'tire' the fish.

As the saying goes using a pole the elastic 'tires' a fish quicker.

John Wilson, Matt Hayes they all talk about tiring the fish. Not Knack***** it dredging it in, if you get my drift :thumbs:

Its only a discussion guys. :)