Bad line clip- need a workaround

benny samways

Reaction score
Does anybody have a makeshift way of casting accurately when their reel doesn’t have a line clip?

I was thinking maybe a really tight fitting elastic band would do a similar job perhaps.

My reels are 4000d's and the line clip actually damages line if you use it, so for my 'mega-accurate' fishing Im a bit buggered, plus I like how it seperates the lead and hookbait when it jolts.

Has anyone over come this problem with the poor line clips?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Benny,
Shimano are at pains to suggest that line clips are for line storage only and not for a casting limiter (I suspect backside covering), even when they fit metal ones and even on their dedicated spod reel:eek:mg:. Their metal clips do withstand such rigours, but the plastic ones usually break, given time.

One of the most simple ways, as you suggest, is a good old elastic band. I rather like the red Post Office ones that posties have a habit of dropping all over the place. One of these days I think I'll ask my regular postie to collect some up for me.

benny samways

Reaction score
I know this sounds a bit OCD but will the line move under the band when I have given it a good chuck? That was my only worry, I suppose I could mark with pole elastic to be doubly sure.

I was even thinking of jamming some pole elastic under the clip so that the elastic takes the pinch of the clip and I can then lodge my mainline into the elastic under the clip. I'll try it out and le tyou know.

Sam, I think I might be bending your ear in the not to distant future regarding a set of reels for carping as an uprade to my D's.

ATB

sam vimes

Reaction score
Benny,
it can slip a little, much depends on your casting style and the size of the lump of lead you are flinging. I would only use an elastic band for the lighter methods up to heavy match style fishing, not full on carping. You'd be better served with some way of line marking for that. Electricians tape, knot marker, light elastic, Nash's glorified nail varnish, etc. Other than with my spod and marker set ups, I rarely clip up when carping. I don't tend to fish in ways that require absolute accuracy.

Feel free to bend away.;)

smudger172

Reaction score
Does anybody have a makeshift way of casting accurately when their reel doesn’t have a line clip?

I was thinking maybe a really tight fitting elastic band would do a similar job perhaps.

My reels are 4000d's and the line clip actually damages line if you use it, so for my 'mega-accurate' fishing Im a bit buggered, plus I like how it seperates the lead and hookbait when it jolts.

Has anyone over come this problem with the poor line clips?

I had the same problem with 4000d. overcame it by wrapping electrical tape tightly around the line at the distance you are fishing at then put the tape covered line into the clip..

thecrow

Reaction score
Before the advent of line clips and "clipping up" the method that myself and friends used on a large reservoir where accuracy was needed to have a chance of the roach in there was to trap the line under a piece of bicycle innertube on the spool, never had any problems with it. Just like an elastic band but held the line firmly.

law

Reaction score
If you aren't fishing tight to a margin, set of pads etc and can cast past the spot first, use electrical tape on the line. Fold it over and stick the sticky sides together, then trim off all but the bit on the line.

benny samways

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of actually covering the line to protect it, i use tape to mark the 'clipped' spot once I've cast out anyway, cant believe i didnt think of that. Thats given me a few ideas to try out.

Cheers
Atb

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of actually covering the line to protect it, i use tape to mark the 'clipped' spot once I've cast out anyway, cant believe i didnt think of that. Thats given me a few ideas to try out.

Cheers
Atb

Me too good question

robtherake

Reaction score
I've posted this before, but I'm happy to tie a powergum stop knot and tuck the tag end in the clip, rather than the line. It easily stops 5 or 6oz of loaded method feeder in its tracks, yet will pull straight out of the clip on a take. Don't ask me how that works, but I've tried it on several different reels with the same result.

Philip

Reaction score
I've posted this before, but I'm happy to tie a powergum stop knot and tuck the tag end in the clip, rather than the line. It easily stops 5 or 6oz of loaded method feeder in its tracks, yet will pull straight out of the clip on a take. Don't ask me how that works, but I've tried it on several different reels with the same result.

robs suggestion has the added advantage that you can also leave the line clipped up. should a fish take line to the clip you can easily flick it out of the clip with your finger. leaving the tag ends very long also help it to lie better on the spool and not hinder your casts.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked our postie and he gave me hundreds that he had in his pocket, but I notice round our way they have stopped using the red.

My postie has empty pockets but my driveway is usually littered with the damn things . . . . . . GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Seriously though, i never clip up preferring to use a wide elastic band

Reaction score
I tie a piece of pole elastic around the line and pass a tag end of the elastic under the clip.

This has a number of advantages, including:

1. The line is not under the clip o is less prone to damage.
2. The line can pull free if pulled hard enough by that fish of a life time making a big run!
3. You can easily pull it free while playing a fish if you need to.
4. Once unclipped the elastic serves as a marker on the line when you need to clip up again.
5. The elastic can easily be removed when not needed.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I tie a piece of pole elastic around the line and pass a tag end of the elastic under the clip.

This has a number of advantages, including:

1. The line is not under the clip o is less prone to damage.
2. The line can pull free if pulled hard enough by that fish of a life time making a big run!
3. You can easily pull it free while playing a fish if you need to.
4. Once unclipped the elastic serves as a marker on the line when you need to clip up again.
5. The elastic can easily be removed when not needed.

What knot do you use to tie the elastic round the line ?

benny samways

Reaction score
Just as an update to this and to perhaps help any other Shimano-D users:

Finally did a bit of carping last week where I needed to clip up. Had a play with the tape, but to put it on the line first you need to know where you are casting- so that was no good.

Rubber bands wouldn’t go under the clip BUT a bait band went under perfectly. It looks a bit tatty but they go under the clip well and allow the mainline to sit against it without nicking the line.

Job done. (I endured a 2 night blank couldn’t find the fish and just typical found the carp on the morning I was leaving).