At what time should I go from Pole to Rod & Reel

magicone

Reaction score
Did some Pole fishing on my local water today.

Using a pole with a Preston Yellow Hollo Hel 17, 9lb mainline and 6lb hooklength and size 12 hook with a short hair.

Lost approx 3 carp due snapping the hook length, yet caught 11lb and 13lb no probs.

They ran taking the elastic to its length and then snap.

Should I up-grade to a stronger hook length or go for heavier lines on Rod & Reel.

So at point do you go from Pole to Rod & Reel

thanks

rubio

Reaction score
I have a simple solution to that problem, I don`t fish the pole :D

Other alternatives include
checking your elastic isn't sticking somehow cos you should be able to stop most things up to crocodiles on hydro that thick.
Do you drop the pole low when fish run?
And how much stick do you give them early on?
Lots of the time big fish can be coaxed rather than bullied. Smaller fish often belt out of fear and extra pressure just makes the situation worse.

He's right tho, a rod and line works wonderfully well in these situations

dangermouse

Reaction score
He's right tho, a rod and line works wonderfully well in these situations

I don`t own a pole. I`ve had a couple of goes with one on the canal and I can see how useful they are when fishing for bits and pieces and especially if you`re a match fisherman. Can`t say I`d want to try playing anything much over a pound on one though although I know plenty of people do. Each to their own I guess.

sagalout

Reaction score
They ran taking the elastic to its length and then snap.
They might have been foul hooked. The likes of Steve Ringer and Will Raison seem to be able to land whales on a white hydro and 2lb hook link.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the average size of the Carp in that venue?

I would be guided by that in the first instance, and if they are mainly doubles then I'd probably opt for a running line approach over the pole.

Also, you said that the elastic bottomed out so that begs questions like; how many sections is the elastic going through, how taut is the elastic and also how old is it and was it well lubricated prior to being used?

Regarding your hook lengths, some of the same questions arr probably valid; how old are they and are they pre-stretched lines?

john step

Reaction score
Its not fair on the fish is it. If its "pleasure fishing" and you can get plenty of bites to satisfy, then why bother with a pole. Its not a match and speed is not important surely.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree that if carp fishing for good size specimens then why use a pole unless it's in a match.
However, and I don't own a pole, I can see when they have the advantage over running line and they will take good fish in tight situations that cannot be reached with a normal rod.
Take the other day; I sat just down the bank from a chap using a pole for roach. He dropped his float carefully just beyond a bed of lillies and took quality roach in steady succession whereas I, with my 14' rod and running line, had to contend with being bank side of the pads and consequently in full view of the fish - including every movement I made.
I caught fish as well but his were a better size, that's for sure..

I cannot say I would go out a buy a pole BUT, by the same token I know I miss out on some good fish in certain circumstances !

But carp, no, it's running line, if only for the fight through the arm!!

magicone

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

I think from hear say, the largest is approx. 15/16lb seen by the bailiff.

The elastic had gone out some 20/22 meters as I thought that would be at full stretch. This is when the snap off occurred, as if the elastic was at full stretch like stretching a elastic band to its limits.

The pole I have, has 3 sections giving a length of approx. 3 1/4 meters which the elastic covers that.

If a large fish is hooked I leave it to tire itself before starting to land it, no matter whether fouled hooked or not this may take 4/5 mins or more to do so. If the fish decides to run again when near landing, then let it go and wait till it's ready.

As I said, the main line is rated at 9lb (0.22mm) and the hook length is rated at 6lb (0.17mm). Both are Guru N-gauge. The snap offs were from newly made hook lengths of 6" long no older than 1 mth and the spools are 4 mths old.

My question was meaning at what size of fish capable of being caught should one go from a Pole to Rod & Reel.

thanks again

sagalout

Reaction score
My question was meaning at what size of fish capable of being caught should one go from a Pole to Rod & Reel.
Based on what the match boys land and the video link I posted above there is no reel (see what I did there) limit to what you can land on the pole.

I suggested maybe you had foul hooked them because a foul hooked fish is much harder to control. You can go up in elastic to say red hydro and step up your rig line and hook link strength. If you watch the top match blokes on youtube they are always landing big carp on light elastics and rigs but interestingly if they are fishing short (which is what you are doing) they always have more pole ready to follow the fish out.

tonybull

Reaction score
foul hookers, I know people who have caught carp up to 39lb on a pole

going from pole to rod and line when the fish are past your pole line or don't like a pole waving over their heads in clear conditions.