Watercraft Tips

squibbles

Reaction score
I am fishing at a lake which is considered a pressured venue for carp.. I am informed the trick is to find the fish - this is not a simple task! 6 acre lake, the fish of any variety could be anywhere. To get to the point does anyone have any tips that could help my watercraft skills?

Also read not to igore the margins, what distance from the bank is considered the margin? When I have fished, most if not all, cast 60 plus yards (hear and see the bomb enter the water)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

thecrow

Reaction score
I am fishing at a lake which is considered a pressured venue for carp.. I am informed the trick is to find the fish - this is not a simple task! 6 acre lake, the fish of any variety could be anywhere. To get to the point does anyone have any tips that could help my watercraft skills?

Also read not to igore the margins, what distance from the bank is considered the margin? When I have fished, most if not all, cast 60 plus yards (hear and see the bomb enter the water)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Try to spend some time early and late just looking, time spent doing this is never wasted. Carp are creatures of habit and visit the same areas regularly, shouldn't be difficult to see fish in the same places.

The margins on any water are the biggest feature there is, carp will patrol them if things are quiet, if most are casting 60yards plus on a small 6 acre water I would be looking at not doing that and either margin fish on a lead with back lead or slack line or even look for fish and float fish for them.

B

binka

In addition to the above I would also add that almost without exception you'll find fish on the end of a southerly/westerly wind, and again especially in the margins.

squibbles

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and the article link - a lot more to fishing than meets the eye.

law

Reaction score
Find features. Spend time with a marker rod to find such things as the marginal shelf, gravel bars, patches of weed, deep areas etc.

Use a pair of polaroid glasses and climb trees and use binos.

I've spent months watching a water before fishing it.

squibbles

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice it is clear I need to spend more time at the lake finding the swims before I fish it. From what I've researched it used to be a gravel pit, therefore the depths should vary considerably.

B

binka

From what I've researched it used to be a gravel pit, therefore the depths should vary considerably.

I bet anyone who has a long history of travelling the M1 just south of J25 (near the water treatment works) will recall the gravel extraction workings that used to be there right next to the river just upstream of Sawley, deep troughs with seemingly inexplicable high peaks and ridges all the way through.

Drive by now and it's a nice flat surface of water... With its hidden, secret lunar landscape deep beneath :)