Any problems with this method mix

magicone

Reaction score
Tried some method fishing this week against the margins of an island with some success.

The mix I made up the night before in a old 1ltr Ice cream tub, half fill with a Carp method mix, handful of 2mm krill pellets, handful of 4mm Hi Betaine fishmeal pellets, 2 teaspoons of Molasses, 2 tbl spoons Oyster sauce and mixed up with Coconut milk.

Is this ok or could some improvements be made, although caught Carp 8/13lb.

Thanks

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Ingredients are but one part of the equation, you cant have too many imo, fish like all living creatures need variety but seen as your fishing for water pigs you might also have caught with less or caught more with more...?

Did you do the glass of water test to see how the mix breaks up? Plenty can be learned this way such as being too loose it would come off/out the feeder as soon as it hit the water or worse in the air, too tightly packed, sticky or damp and it clumps without breaking up etc.

What kind of feeder you use also depends on what consistency the mix needs to be, (I tend to match the feeder based on the consistency or kind of mix I intend to fish with), also you mention adding pellets did you dampen these first or use dry?

Lake or tap water, or did you just make it up with liquid ingredients? how long did you wait before using?

Most importantly; if something works well enough.... have you kept a detailed record for repeatability? ;)

laguna

Reaction score
If the pellets are added the night before don't they become mush?
Depends on the type of pellet and soak times the OP used Saga?
Halibuts unless crushed can be soaked for more than a day and remain firm depending on size of course, skrettings feed pellets withstand only a few mins... whereas expanders are more absorbent. Removing excess liquid prior to adding to GB/method mix is the way to avoid mush ol' mush :D

alexmack

Reaction score
Hi magicone!

Nothing too complex or revolutionary here, I use a bag of vitalin dog food and add pellet and boilie base mix or groundbait as desired! A bag of vitalin and half a kilo of marine halibut grounbait with a few pellets gives you loads of bait and it works a treat. It can be used on its own if desired and is good like this as well. You can make it brick hard or flakey depending on what you like! It's less subtle than a dedicated method groundbait, but no less effective and much cheaper!! One tip is to blend the food up to remove the big bits, but this isn't essential.

Tight lines Alex

magicone

Reaction score
Lake or tap water, or did you just make it up with liquid ingredients? how long did you wait before using?

1) Only Coconut milk and Molasses mixed with 1/2 egg cup of boiling water and an overnight wait.

2) The pellets used were soft in the mix at the bank.

I shall try the water test to see what happens on the next mix, but it does not fly off in flight.

Thanks

laguna

Reaction score
1) Only Coconut milk and Molasses mixed with 1/2 egg cup of boiling water and an overnight wait.

2) The pellets used were soft in the mix at the bank.

I shall try the water test to see what happens on the next mix, but it does not fly off in flight.

Thanks

No problem. Trial and error is the key, you will soon discover the best way to prepare and formulate your own groundbait mixes... nothing beats catching on your own concoctions imo good luck :w