Redmire finished?

stickfloat100

Reaction score
Ok removed it again as it's obvious no-ones prepared to face up to the facts. Falling on deaf ears with heads buried in the sand. Over and out.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not sure of your motive for a first post but I notice that you posted an identical first post on another forum and it was locked very quickly - possibly you should take their advice.................

cg74

Reaction score
Not sure of your motive for a first post but I notice that you posted an identical first post on another forum and it was locked very quickly - possibly you should take their advice.................

I only had a very quick look at the original post and from what I read, it was no worse than any other critical opinion of a fishery, yet others don't get this response, why?
(PM me if you prefer)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I only had a very quick look at the original post and from what I read, it was no worse than any other critical opinion of a fishery, yet others don't get this response, why?
(PM me if you prefer)

PM on the way Colin.

stickfloat100

Reaction score
Changed my mind and put it back up. cg74 you're right, except with Redmire they just want to bury their heads in the sand and think that the name will carry them through, whilst stiffling any negative comment about the place. The place is finished.

cg74

Reaction score
Changed my mind and put it back up. cg74 you're right, except with Redmire they just want to bury their heads in the sand and think that the name will carry them through, whilst stiffling any negative comment about the place. The place is finished.

I'm sorry to say, it's the owners choice as to how the lake is managed, end of!

If you're that unhappy with the way things are going contact them and explain in a concise manner what your concerns both in terms of angling heritage and monetary implication to them. Though if things are as bad as you say, I think you've left it a bit late to save the place.

Here's a contract route: Redmire Pool Index page

sam vimes

Reaction score
I suspect that many thought it finished the moment they accepted that the big, old fish had expired. Others will have thought it when it effectively became an out and out commercial operation. Personally, I've no particular problem with it. I accept that times change. Even with no particular human intervention, special waters rarely maintain what made them special over very long periods of time. What made them special in the first place is often quite random and unpredictable, even when people attempt to closely manage them. I'd suggest that the majority of the mythical carp waters gain that status because they threw up huge fish in the most unlikely circumstances, usually with minimal obvious "management". The modern managed, designed and deliberately engineered big fish waters rarely attain the status of the less obvious waters that start throwing up big fish.

Wraysbury is currently going down a similar road. Very rapidly, especially since losing some of the older, bigger fish, the near mythical status that it enjoyed in some quarters has eroded. That is likely to have a tin lid put on it by it being restocked and, as of next year, becoming a day ticket water. From the angle of someone that's never fished it, and probably never will, it's a whole lot better than the prospect of it being back filled.

As far as I'm concerned, special waters are down to the special fish in them in a particular period in time. Once that time has passed, as it inevitably does, it usually only remains special in the mind. There are places, in a given time period, that are very special to me (probably not to anyone else though), yet I have no desire to go back to them, even if the changes that time has brought are quite minimal.

The bad one

Reaction score
Whilst in general I broadly agree with Sam's comment you have not endeared yourself to the people on this site, with your comments as above. You’ve given no explanation on here why you believe, think its had it. As a fair-minded type of guy I’m willing to listen despite the above ridicule of the members on here, if you try again by giving your explanation why you believe, think its had it.
So start from there eh?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
For me on a personal level it lost all it's magic the minute they netted the place to work out stocking levels. The unknown mythical monsters was what the place was all about.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For me on a personal level it lost all it's magic the minute they netted the place to work out stocking levels. The unknown mythical monsters was what the place was all about.

I would agree with you on that.

Although I would still love to spend 3 or 4 nights there, just in the famous swims and soak up the atmosphere. . . . . . . . .

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I dont think it ever helps to know too closely what a water holds and thats why I tend to avoid recently stocked waters (or artificially stocked waters in general). I have never targeted the biggest carp in any lake i have fished. If i did, and that fish was known to be dead and gone, i guess i would have to look somewhere else or lower my expectations accordingly.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The first 'thirty' from there was caught by a certain Bob Richards in 1951 (31+lbs) the British record until the next year when Ravioli was caught......

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
' has it done a thirty '.....well, I can see bennygesserit is a proper carp fisherman 'cos he speaks the proper carp fisherman language...add a winky smilie here)

As for me , I have to stick to ' has the water produced a thirty '...NOT that it's ever going to bother me - I wouldn't know a 'thirty' water.....and anyway, I don't like fish with names !

My only 'walk round' of Redmire will live with me forever. Standing on the dam wall was magical, and yes, I am a romantic !!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My only 'walk round' of Redmire will live with me forever. Standing on the dam wall was magical, and yes, I am a romantic !!

Then I must be one also Tee-Cee.

I've been there twice by arrangement but sadly only for a wander around each time and to take a few pictures, but back in the days of proper film that needed to be developed . . . . . . . . .

You really do walk in the footprints of some of the greats as revealed by some of the swim names like, Quinlan's, Ingham's, Pitchford's and Climo's as well as some of the featured swims like Willow, Stile and Fence and the now gone Greenbanks and the infamous ghostly Evening Pitch . . . . . . . .

This was Chris Yates' map of the Pool:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...s-redmire-pool-picture3908-redmire-swims.html

Last edited: