Adjustable Zig Rig

squibbles

Reaction score
Could somebody please explain how you make such a rig? You can buy a fox rig of Ebay but they are quite expensive! I would like to make an adjustable zig rig with a float adapter so I can alter the depth I am fishing. My assumption is that I would need an in-line bubble float; I want to ensure the rig is safe, this is where I am stumped - if it should snap I don't want a fish dragging a bubble float around or the lead that anchors the line.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

greenie62

Reaction score
Could somebody please explain how you make such a rig? You can buy a fox rig of Ebay but they are quite expensive! I would like to make an adjustable zig rig with a float adapter so I can alter the depth I am fishing. My assumption is that I would need an in-line bubble float; I want to ensure the rig is safe, this is where I am stumped - if it should snap I don't want a fish dragging a bubble float around or the lead that anchors the line.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Not being entirely sure what an 'ajustable zig rig' was - I looked it up on t'interweb and found it looks like 'upside-down submarine float-fishing' and appears to be a very complicated way of solving a problem where the buoyancy of the floating pop-up is insufficient to rise 10 feet before a fish snaffles it! - Or am I missing something here?
Why not just use 'normal' float-fishing tactics?

As to the fish towing around 'unsafe' rigs following a snap-off - how else do you think various tackle manufacturers are going to get profits from repeat sales if not from overcomplicated / expensive rigs? ;):rolleyes:

B

binka

Why not just use 'normal' float-fishing tactics?

I might be wrong as I don't use them greenie but from what I can gather the zig is especially useful at ranges where a conventional float rig would be out of the question, it's also useful where there is strong surface tow that might render a conventional float set up ineffective, and it is fishable on an alarm.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The float should not be fixed in any way if the rig is tied correctly. If the mainline should break, a fish should not end up towing the float.

There's a picture in the linked thread. It also shows an alternative float type and set up to the purpose made Fox systems. Being a pike fishing float, it may not be subject to the usual "carp tax".;):D

squibbles

Reaction score
The float should not be fixed in any way if the rig is tied correctly. If the mainline should break, a fish should not end up towing the float.

There's a picture in the linked thread. It also shows an alternative float type and set up to the purpose made Fox systems. Being a pike fishing float, it may not be subject to the usual "carp tax".;):D

Thanks for this - I have got a few pike floats that I can adapt for the purpose of a zig rig. I have a plan in mind I will make the rig and test it tomorrow.

To answer the question posted above (although already covered by another poster) Cover a greater distance from the bank when casting, also helps you present your bait an inch or several inches below the surface and you can use on bite alarms if night fishing.

greenie62

Reaction score
I might be wrong as I don't use them greenie but from what I can gather the zig is especially useful at ranges where a conventional float rig would be out of the question, it's also useful where there is strong surface tow that might render a conventional float set up ineffective, and it is fishable on an alarm.
Thanks Binka,
That explains it well and shows why it's needed in certain situations.
It raises an interesting thought though - given that many of the Carp rigs and tackle have an origin in sea-angling - is there any application for this style of rig in sea-fishing? i.e. when targetting fish feeding say 10-20ft off the bottom in 30-40ft of water with strong surface effects?
Just a thought but it might replace the 'flying collar' approach from the beach for pollack, etc. Any sea-anglers out there with possible applications?

and you can use on bite alarms if night fishing.
Bang goes my shares in isotopes! :eek::D

Last edited:

squibbles

Reaction score
I have had a go at making the rig, its not pretty, it at least should provide you with a laugh :D

The idea is, mainline threads through the tubing attached to the swivel. Use a lighter hook length from the swivel. The hook length should snap first, if I become tangled and the mainline snaps the the swivel will pull free and the float and lead fall free.

Zig.jpg

View image in gallery

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is the round thing below the float and above the lead a shot or a bead? If it's a shot, swap it for a bead, it's not required and only serves to make the rig less safe.

squibbles

Reaction score
Is the round thing below the float and above the lead a shot or a bead? If it's a shot, swap it for a bead, it's not required and only serves to make the rig less safe.

Its a bead pushed on to the tubing

nicepix

Reaction score

Take a plastic wine cork, push a baiting needle or drill bit through it and slide a length of rig tubing through the hole. If you need a bigger one add another half or full cork. If you want a smaller one cut the cork in half.