Newbie carper

bigyun2000

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am a newbie to fishing in general starting in August 2013 at the age of 51. Although a late starter I really enjoy the time at the bank. I have been mainly fishing for Carp on my Preston Mini Carp 10ft rod on a feeder either Banjo or normal. Best catch so far is 19lb 7oz.

But I want to try for the bigger fish. I have 2 x Daiwa Whisker DF rods with 3.25 test curve with 2 x Daiwa Crossfire 5500 LBA reels and 2 x Fox M+ Alarms

What I would like to know is:

1. What variety of leads would be recommended? (Commercial Fisheries)
2. What variety of rigs would be recommended? (Commercial Fisheries)

The rigs and the leads would be purchased online.

Any information would be greatly appreciated please

sam vimes

Reaction score
The test curve of the rods and size of the reels you get should be bought with the size of the water and how far you are casting in mind. Are you certain you mean Crossfire reels and not Crosscast? I believe that the Crossfires are general coarse reels and Crosscasts are pit reels. Unless you are intending to fish at great distances or cast hefty bag rigs, the 3.25TC rods (coupled with a big pit reel) might be well over the top. Such kit is primarily aimed at casting long distances. Much depends on what exactly constitutes a "commercial fishery" to you.

In turn, to an extent, the size of the leads you use should depend on the distances you are having to cast. However, I would suggest that the lightest lead that most modern carpers use will be 1.5oz. Many will never go that light. The maximum you should use will depend on the rods you end up with.

The rigs you should use will depend on the baits you intend to use (pop ups, bottom baits, wafters, particles (corn, tigers etc)).
I'm not a big fan of shop bought rigs, preferring to make my own. However, I do find that I use quite a lot of Gardner rig components and hooks. For that reason, if I had to buy ready made rigs, I'd probably go for Gardner ones.

Hook Aligner Rig - Gardner Tackle

Pop Up Hook Aligner Rig - Gardner Tackle

Sink Skin Rig - Gardner Tackle

Sly Skin Rig - Gardner Tackle

Stiff Skin Rig - Gardner Tackle

john step

Reaction score
Your 19lb 7oz carp is a big fish. Maybe you are doing things right already?
If they are the same waters that you intend to target bigger fish, are you sure they hold bigger.
Sam is right in mentioning as to what you consider a commercial. If it is one of the small intimate high stock waters you will not need such hefty casting tackle.Some commercials are much much bigger.
However I think most carp waters could be considered to be a commercial in that they are stocked with carp and a commercial ticket is sold.

If you had in mind a much larger water then your tackle would seem to fit the bill. As for weights you need sufficient to cast the distance and bolt effect as well. 2oz and up a would seem to be a starting point for bigger waters.

bigyun2000

Reaction score
thanks guys. The commercials i use have stocks around 30lb - 35lb and have the intentions of going to others that are around 40lb ish.

I would appreciate named leads and type ditto with the hook links.

I've been looking at a few leads:

CAMOTEX SWIVEL FLAT PEAR OPTIONS MODEL: PEAR SWIVEL LEAD 2.5OZ
CAMOTEX SWIVEL SQUARE MODEL: SWIVEL LEAD 2.5OZ
CAMOTEX IN-LINE FLAT PEAR OPTIONS MODEL: INLINE LEAD 2.5OZ
CAMOTEX SWIVEL DISTANCE MODEL: 2.5OZ
TRI-BOMB LEADS MODEL: (INLINE) 2.75OZ
TEXTURED DISTANCE SWIVEL MODEL: 2OZ DISTANCE SWIVEL
TEXTURED FLAT AND INLINE PEARS MODEL: 2OZ FLAT PEAR INLINE

A few rigs:

KD READY RIGS MODEL: 10 BARBLESS
KD READY RIGS MODEL: 8 BARBLESS
KONTINENTAL HOOKS MODEL: 10
KONTINENTAL HOOKS MODEL: 8
KRANK HOOKS SIZE: 10
KRANK HOOKS SIZE: 8
CHOD BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: LONG B/LESS SZ10
CHOD BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: SHORT B/LESS SZ10
CARP SSBP BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: 8 - BROWN
CARP SSBP BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: 8 - GREEN
COMBI RIGS CHOICE: (10)

These are what I was looking at, at Chapmans Angling. am I looking at the correct items?

Sorry for the long list.

sam vimes

Reaction score
thanks guys. The commercials i use have stocks around 30lb - 35lb and have the intentions of going to others that are around 40lb ish.

When it comes to choosing a rod test curve and type of reel, the size of the fish is relatively unimportant compared to the size of the venue and how far you'll be casting. There's barely a fish swimming in British freshwaters that couldn't be extracted using a 2lb TC rod. It's only fashion and the rise of distance casting that has seen test curves increase over the years. So many people are using 3lb+ TC rods and huge reels when they really don't need to.

I would appreciate named leads and type ditto with the hook links.

I've been looking at a few leads:

CAMOTEX SWIVEL FLAT PEAR OPTIONS MODEL: PEAR SWIVEL LEAD 2.5OZ
CAMOTEX SWIVEL SQUARE MODEL: SWIVEL LEAD 2.5OZ
CAMOTEX IN-LINE FLAT PEAR OPTIONS MODEL: INLINE LEAD 2.5OZ
CAMOTEX SWIVEL DISTANCE MODEL: 2.5OZ
TRI-BOMB LEADS MODEL: (INLINE) 2.75OZ
TEXTURED DISTANCE SWIVEL MODEL: 2OZ DISTANCE SWIVEL
TEXTURED FLAT AND INLINE PEARS MODEL: 2OZ FLAT PEAR INLINE

A few rigs:

KD READY RIGS MODEL: 10 BARBLESS
KD READY RIGS MODEL: 8 BARBLESS
KONTINENTAL HOOKS MODEL: 10
KONTINENTAL HOOKS MODEL: 8
KRANK HOOKS SIZE: 10
KRANK HOOKS SIZE: 8
CHOD BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: LONG B/LESS SZ10
CHOD BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: SHORT B/LESS SZ10
CARP SSBP BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: 8 - BROWN
CARP SSBP BARBLESS RIGS MODEL: 8 - GREEN
COMBI RIGS CHOICE: (10)

These are what I was looking at, at Chapmans Angling. am I looking at the correct items?

Sorry for the long list.

Brand named leads are unimportant. Shapes for different tasks and the weight used is what matters. Colours to match the bottom of the waters you are fishing might have some influence. You may well develop favourites, branded or not, over time, many do, but, to a large extent, leads are leads. Nothing much to get excited about. Within the limits of what you are prepared to pay, buy the shapes, sizes and colours to suit the distances you fish and the rods you choose. A selection of flat pears and distance bombs does me for the vast bulk of my fishing. However, unlike many others, I don't tend to use in-line set ups or chod rigs.

Again, when it comes to rigs and hook sizes, it depends on your choice of baits. Some rigs are specifically intended for fishing pop ups, others for bottom baits. You may be well served asking at one of your local tackle shops, especially one with experienced carp anglers. From another forum I gather that you are in South Yorkshire. A trip to Climax Tackle might be a reasonable idea.

law

Reaction score
Your rods are designed for distance casting. And need 3.5oz leads to load them up.
A huge overkill unless your fishing 130yards plus.
If your a newbie to carping, sell them and buy something suitable for closer range. You wont learn to play fish properly on big rods.

You seem to be choosing faily small hooks. I wont use anything less than 6 for my carp fishing unless Im using tigers or corn.

There is also too many varieties of rig.
You can chop and change far too much. Start simple. Basic blowback on coated braid.

Why so many styles of lead too? Just get a handfull of the same.

bigyun2000

Reaction score
@law thanks for the info. I just bought the rods brand new about a month and a half ago. If i sell them i'll lose too much money on them same as the Crosscast reels.

Only bought them because of the write up and an article in one of the fishing mags.

I see many Fox rods for sale what would you recommend?

law

Reaction score
I highly reccomend the new Soniks. Ive got the SK3 in 3.25 that I use for distance work and also the budget SKS in 2.75 that I use for everything else.
At 50quid for the SKS, you cant go wrong.

Ive used Fox rods before and didnt like the feel of them, although the upper end rods might be different.

You can still use the Crosscast on the smaller rods too.

S

steve2012

So not thinking about the tactics at all, just the gear ?

Horse before cart?

cg74

Reaction score
So not thinking about the tactics at all, just the gear ?

Horse before cart?

A chicken and egg scenario I'd say. If your tackle is patently not fit for purpose you'll struggle! If your tactics are all wrong you'll struggle!

Had the OP started a thread - How Do I Catch Big Carp, I can imagine the carnage.....

Last edited:

bigyun2000

Reaction score
Hi.

A massive thanks for all replies. It would seem i need to learn some basic craft first. No good having heavy duty kit if i don't know how to use it.

1. learn the skills
2. utilize correct feed
3. use smaller gear until i'm confidently fishing well

Thanks again

S

steve2012

That was indeed a massive list of gear

If the fish are in the margins you dont need any of that. There is nothing to beat seeing a carp come into your swim and actually take the bait !!

Keep it simple and keep going !!!