River carp rigs

pikepro1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read a few articles recently about river carp fishing. Several of them mention using chod rigs. Got me thinking, to fish a chod properly you need a very slack line don't you? Surely a slack line in the river would just be dragged off by the current. Am I missing something?!

Many thanks!

The Sogster

Reaction score
I suppose you would get the slack line effect by fishing downstream with a bow in the line.

This would also help to push the bait into the fishes mouth on the take if you get the balance right.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I just use conventional barbel tactics most of the time. Doesn't matter if I'm fishing upstream or down, the feeder and quiver have taken more river carp for me than when I fished carp style with bolt rigs or running ledger rigs using bobbins. Sometimes if I'm fishing slower water such as upstream of a weir I'll float fish, over depth, with a couple of AAA shot on the bottom.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I just use conventional barbel tactics most of the time. Doesn't matter if I'm fishing upstream or down, the feeder and quiver have taken more river carp for me than when I fished carp style with bolt rigs or running ledger rigs using bobbins.

I've found the same thing.

I keep it very simple but very strong, river carp aren't rig wise and are incredibly powerfull. I fish a feeder stopped with a couple of float stops and the mainline straight through to a big hook, this allows me to alter the hooklink length without breaking the rig down.

The real trick to river carp is location and pre-bait.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've found the same thing.

I keep it very simple but very strong, river carp aren't rig wise and are incredibly powerfull. I fish a feeder stopped with a couple of float stops and the mainline straight through to a big hook, this allows me to alter the hooklink length without breaking the rig down.

The real trick to river carp is location and pre-bait.

I'd go along with location being very important, but I find that maize (as opposed to tinned sweetcorn) grains are universally accepted, and if a fish is browsing the bottom for food it will invariably pick up the maize. Sweetcorn tends to get taken by other species such as b***m before the carp get a look in.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I'd go along with location being very important, but I find that maize (as opposed to tinned sweetcorn) grains are universally accepted, and if a fish is browsing the bottom for food it will invariably pick up the maize. Sweetcorn tends to get taken by other species such as b***m before the carp get a look in.

I use alot of maize too as it's effective and cheap, stays on the hair for more than one fish too!