2.5 or 2.75tc can you use 8lb line on these rods?

shakey1

Reaction score
Hi,
I been looking at carp rods today and don't no what test curve rod to buy? I was thinking 2,5tc or 2.75tc.
The lake is small with a little bit of weed, max size fish 20lb, but I want a rod that when the time comes to move onto a new water ie bigger fish,bigger lake the same rod could be hopefully be used.
Because the lake biggest fish is probably 20lbs with few snags could I use 8lb line on these high test curve rods?
thanks Shane

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the action of the rods concerned. I have an old, through actioned, 2.5lb rod that I'd probably not have an issue using 8lb line with. I also have a modern, more tip actioned, 2.5lb that I wouldn't be happy using less than 10lb line.

Most modern carp rods seem to be expected to have no less than 10lb line used with them. 12/15lb is fairly standard, regardless of the rod TC. I tend to favour lighter carp rods than current fashion trends. The highest TC I own is 3lb, and I don't particularly like using them, unless I really need to. 2.75lb is my go to rod and the one I consider to be most versatile. However, that'll be at least 0.25lb less than many modern carpers consider as good compromise "do anything" rod.

In your shoes, I'd go for the 2.75lb rod. I'd not be looking to use less than 10lb mainline and would plump for 12lb for the vast bulk of my carping.

Don't buy a rod based on the size of the fish you might encounter. A rod much lighter than the lowest TC carp rod generally available is perfectly capable of landing the biggest of fish. It might not be able to cast a big lead/bag/stringer very comfortable or very far though. Look at what you might be casting and how far you might cast it.

shakey1

Reaction score
The rod I was looking at was the nash scope rods in 2.25 and 2.75 as I use my push bike a lot.
They are both progressive action and I was going to use the method feeder because I really enjoyed this method, with a bite alarm thanks shane.

fruitowl

Reaction score
unless you plan to fish straight through.
as sam says 12lb main line or even 15lb mainline.
your hook link and knots will always be the weak points nothing prevents you from using 8lb hook link and if you decide to go to bigger lakes with bigger fish you may not need to spend more money respooling your reel as you will only have to upgrade your hook link with 12 to 15 mainline that gives you a lot of scoop also the knowledge that the rod won't break your main line when it bounces around whilst playing the fish. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are you aware that Nash have recently added 1.75 and 2.25 models to the Scope range? Might be even better for your purpose, particularly if you'd prefer to use lighter lines, aren't chucking too far and are fishing for anything (other than just the biggest fish in the lake).

shakey1

Reaction score
ya Sam the cork handle scopes, there the rods I been looking at but ant out yet.
Think I might go for the 2.75tc and do what fruitowl said and use 12lb line and 8lb bottom end.
What size hooks do you think I should use? I been using size 14 with a 6mm banded pellet.
Also what about reels for the scope and what size rod 10ft/9ft? I was thinking windcast but a member said that would be a bit big, any ideas
thanks shane

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't recall using hooks smaller than a 10 (or baits of a corresponding size) on a full blown carp set up. Hook size should always be determined by the bait being used. However, some influence should be given to the line and method being employed. I'd consider a 14 to be too small for vast bulk of modern carp methods.

Reel choice is a little difficult. I feel that big pit reels on small rods (or small waters) look and feel pretty ridiculous. They are only really necessary if there's going to be a time you are going to try to chuck to the horizon. They wouldn't be my choice, but I know that plenty are going for Daiwa SS2600s on small water rods.

I have to say that I'm a little puzzled as to whether you've really worked out what you are trying to accomplish. Talk of size 14 hooks and 8lb line being used with 2.75lb rods and big pits leaves me a little uncomfortable. I really do wonder if you can't achieve what you want with a barbel/Avon rod of 2.25lb or fair bit less.

law

Reaction score
Any reason you want to go 8lb?
What happens when you go to a new lake where you need heavier line?
Id just spool up with 15lb. Get something decent like Pro Clear that has a low diameter and you'll be fine

denzinho

Reaction score
A lot of my local commercials request that anglers use 15lb line minimum breaking strain when carping. Have a look at some of your local waters rules just to be sure.