can a 2.75tc rod land small carp

shakey1

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 2.75tc though action rod, would the rod be ok for smaller carp? say 6-10lb as I dont't want to buy a new rod.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Generally, the higher the TC, the greater the danger of bumping/bouncing smaller fish off. It's also likely to equate to less enjoyment when playing smaller fish. The action of the rod also has an influence. Test curve alone doesn't give a full picture. Not all X.Xlb TC rods are equal. However, that's not to say that you'll have any particular problem landing the smaller fish, even if you used a 3.5lb broom handle.

fruitowl

Reaction score
you can protect against bumping fish off if using something like the guru xsafe feeder system as these have a safety elastic which helps when playing a fish

law

Reaction score
Ive never bumped small fish on my 2.75 rods. I usd them for bream from 1-5lb all last year too and never lost one.

MRWELL

Reaction score
You will have no problems landing small carp on a 2.75 tc rod,it is how you play them that counts,having the clutch set right and so on,i have caught a Gudgeon on my 3lb tc rod and never got a hook pull,it is a different matter going for big carp on a low tc rod,if the water you are fishing have small (up to 10lb carp) only then you could go down (if you have one) to a 1.75 to be better off but if not you will still hold with that rod,just play it right and job done.

Stan.