pva bags on a 2.75 rod

shakey1

Reaction score
Hi there,
Can I use pva bags with a 2.75 tc rod?
or is it better to get a 3.5tc rod? thanks

law

Reaction score
I use PVA bags on my 1.75tc barbel rods with no probs.

greenie62

Reaction score
Can I use pva bags with a 2.75 tc rod? or is it better to get a 3.5tc rod?
Depends on how full they are and what you've put inside them! What's the total payload? 50g? Should be OK.
- Also depends on the action of the rod!

sam vimes

Reaction score
As long as you keep the weight of the bag plus lead combined to a sensible limit, commensurate with the casting abilities of a 2.75lb rod, you'll have no problem. If you push the casting weight a bit, as long as you don't try for the horizon, you should still be ok.

Though I accept that 3.5lb TC rods have their uses, and not all are broom handles, I wouldn't have one given. The heaviest rods I've ever had are 3lb, but I still do the bulk of my carping with 2.75lb, including bag work. I'd actually prefer to use my 2.5lb rods, and will when I know that long casts are not going to be needed.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The best thing to do if forget about all the magazine articles and tv programs telling you what you can and can't do as they are only adverts in disguise. If you want to really learn get out, have a go and learn for yourself, and dont be afraid of doing something different. Remember, every technique you see in common use today was once someone's experiment.

Oh and the answer to the question is, they will be fine, just have a bit of mechanical sympathy and don't try to thump it out to the horizon.

shakey1

Reaction score
what would be a sensible overall wright?
and how far would a safe casting distance be
thanks

fruitowl

Reaction score
as the guys have said it's trial and error as not all baits weight the same.
what size leads are you planning to use.
what rods are you using.
what line are you using.
how far do you want to cast.

for example I beach fish with my brother only use £40 rods I can cast a 4oz lead with 3 hook flapper 60 or so yards my brother can take same rod and punch to over 80 yards he has a better technique because he goes more often.
I also know that if he bought a £300 rod because of the quality and the action of the rod he would cast over 100 yards I have seen him do it.
so in conclusion with all the variables their is no definitive answer it's trial and error but be sensible in what you do

alsoran

Reaction score
In reality you would be surprised just what a 2.75lb rod will cast with no problem. I have in the past used pocket rocket spod on a Fox 'warrior' 2.75lb, happily spodding pellets 80/90 yrds. Remember once the bag has gone you still have to be fishing effectively, so a 1oz lead isn't really going to make a good bolt rig at 80yrds+. Just take your time and experiment and see. You'll reach the limit of the rod before it gets to breaking point, overloaded it will feel like it has collapsed on the cast and you won't get any distance..

nolan1977

Reaction score
In reality you would be surprised just what a 2.75lb rod will cast with no problem. I have in the past used pocket rocket spod on a Fox 'warrior' 2.75lb, happily spodding pellets 80/90 yrds. Remember once the bag has gone you still have to be fishing effectively, so a 1oz lead isn't really going to make a good bolt rig at 80yrds+. Just take your time and experiment and see. You'll reach the limit of the rod before it gets to breaking point, overloaded it will feel like it has collapsed on the cast and you won't get any distance..

When you used the pocket rocket spod what breaking strain line did you use?

greenie62

Reaction score

alsoran

Reaction score
There was a thread on use of shock-leaders a short while ago, my post is at: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/sea-fishing/354758-tapered-leader-questions.html#post1328631

If you follow the rest of the thread you will find that some members object to shock leaders for Carp fishing due to the dangers of leaving carp trailing round with hook, weights and up to 10m of leader around!
Enjoy!

I think nolan1977 was asking about shock leaders in respect of using a spod.:)

greenie62

Reaction score
I think nolan1977 was asking about shock leaders in respect of using a spod.:)

Indeed, but to give an answer that could have been taken out of context would have been misleading, which is why I pointed him at the whole thread via that post which gives the means of working it out depending on tackle set-up used!
Tight Lines:thumbs: