Zigging It

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I do it very occasionally and it has worked for me in the past, but bite indication can be a bit iffy... my best hit was 7 carp in an afternoon at Birds Green top lake.. the best being a 24lber... never repeated the same success anywhere.... just the odd fish here and there:eek:

I usually use running leads (fairly light at that, sometimes less than an ounce) they seem to give the best indication(for me anyway)

now I mainly fish with Dwarf rods, I have to fish adjustables, as a 9' rod with a 10' plus hooklink is asking for trouble:eek:mg::D

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I caught my first 20 on a zig-rig back in the early 80s. Not that it was called that then, it was merely a floating boilie popped up 4ft off the bottom to avoid the carpet of weed I was fishing into.

stevejay

Reaction score
Great method in my view but it's all about confidence. Using a small piece of foam as bait with no feeding takes some time to get accustomed to. Black rig foam seems to work best for me, and can be soaked in flavouring.

First time I tried it was where the were carp cruising on a warm day.

Once you have caught on it you will have the confidence to try it more often. Suppose it's the same mindset as fishing a single hook bait with no loose offerings.

It's very adaptable, allowing you to fish anywhere from the surface to a few inches off the lake bed, though I have never tried the adjustable rig, but will do so having read this article.

Have had 5 or 6 in a session when they are having it. Bite indication has never been an issue for me and most takes are real screamers. I see many advocate using a heavy lead but I have managed with a 2 oz one, although have not fished it at long range.

barbelboi

Reaction score
From an article in The Fishing Gazette in 1893. ' Has anyone tried the following method of catching carp? Plumb the depth of the pond and bait with cubes of bread. Fix your bullet so that the bread will float to the top of the water, the lead of course being on the bottom' - (borrowed from Kevin Clifford)

The only time I tend to use a ‘zig’ these days is on local gravel pits during the winter months if my preferred rivers are in ‘poor shape’. Then. I will take time finding the fish using (I’ve found it works as well as anything) an unflavoured 8mm/10mm cork ball at 1’ – 3’ above the ‘weight’ (I tend to use an overfilled Fox bubble) which is just heavy enough to sink the ‘bait’ fairly slowly to the bottom. If 'on the fish' the take can be instantaneous as the ‘weight’ hits the bottom – as this is a roving/stalking approach it also keeps you active on a cold day. If fishing for carp during the warmer months I prefer to take them off the top, on the drop or in the margins – again using an ‘active/stalking’ approach......

Keith M

Reaction score
Back in the 60s & 70s we called Zig-Rigs 'suspended baits' and we suspended Crusts, large pieces of Breadflake, dog biscuits, inflated lobworms and jelly baits.

We used to use pedigree Chum Mixers which when kept damp overnight would turn to a very pale jelly texture (I think they have since changed their recipe and no longer turn to jelly).
We used to suspend them anywhere from the surface down to a few inches off the bottom and caught lots of fish with them.

The only thing that we didn't use then was artificial buoyant baits.

Keith

Last edited:

tincatim

Reaction score
I've never fished a zig rig as such, Although I've fished pop up boilies a few inches off bottom. I often wonder about bite indication though, if, with 6 ft of hooklength between the lead and bait, wouldn't the carp have time to eject the bait before you get any indication? Or do they tend to just swim off with it until they feel the lead then bolt?

I want to give it a try this summer.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've never fished a zig rig as such, Although I've fished pop up boilies a few inches off bottom. I often wonder about bite indication though, if, with 6 ft of hooklength between the lead and bait, wouldn't the carp have time to eject the bait before you get any indication? Or do they tend to just swim off with it until they feel the lead then bolt?

I want to give it a try this summer.

I would usually only fish a suspended bait near or on the surface if I were fishing a swim of up to around 6 or 7ft and the waters I usually use this method on are usually only around 4 or 5ft deep, a very sharp hook is a must plus the Carp usually runs off keeping the hook tensioned against the lead so hook dropouts are fairly rare.

Usually I don't use submerged Zig-Rig floats because I am usually only fishing up to around 30 or 40 metres out at most and I don't really like to complicate things too much unless I really need to.

I have had some of my better days using suspended sub-surface baits when there is a nice ripple on the surface, In these conditions I seem to get more takes, maybe it's because the reduced dappled light makes it harder for the Carp to see my line coming up from the bottom, or maybe its because the reduced dappled light doesnt hurt the fishes eyes as much; I don't really know the reason, and the surface drift doesn't drift my bait out of my swim because it is anchored.

Try it you may be pleasantly surprised.

Keith

Last edited: