Why did I bring this ?

papajoe

Reaction score
I have just returned from a very enjoyable trip but I just cannot believe how much stuff I took with me. My question is, has anyone succeeded in cutting their tackle down to the bare minimum. I know that is a difficult question to answer. My trips tend to be to the same small pool and I do tend to wander round if the place is empty which it quite often is. Anyones experience of minimising their gear would be interesting.

Thanks Dave.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Pretty well loaded here - there's also a small bag out of view behind the chair....................

cfs_zpsgiqjriqg.jpg

theartist

Reaction score
I used to wheel an old rickety trolley with a huge cantilever tackle box on top of a heavy old Efgeeco seatbox - what a wally!

Now I've fitted everything into my jacket and rucksack, even the chair clips on the back, can cover miles now.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I`ve done it. When I used to have to walk to my club pond which is a couple of miles away. Managed to fit everything into a small rucksack. Didn`t take a proper tackle box just put a few floats, shot, hooks, disgorger, scissors etc into a small takeaway carton. Reel(s), bait, a flask and any other odds and ends. Clip the landing net onto the rucksack, rod holdall over the shoulder and carry a light chair.

Used to lmao at my two mates wheeling barrows loaded with seatboxes and all the other assorted tackle they loaded themselves down with.

law

Reaction score
Every time you go fishing, take out something you havent used.

Because this is in the carp subforum, I assume you go with rods made up?
If Im going light, I can go with as little as a baitbox with tackle, leads, baiting gear etc which goes in a small bucket with bait in also, quiver holdall with rods, alarms, net, weigh sling, and unhooking mat, which I sit on too.

papajoe

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I have just been through my stuff and blitzed it. Out goes anything that will not go in the rucksack. Just going to take 1 rod with attached centre pin ( nearly always fish the margins) and a landing net. A poncho if it looks like rain and a small chair plus 1 rod rest. I will let you know how I get on and stick a photo on here.
Cheers Dave.

steve2

Reaction score
We have all been there at sometime it's called the just in case syndrome.
Cut back last winter pike season on what I take and it help me catch more fish because I didn't stay put. Did I really need 4 rod and reels, a racksack and a bait bags. Did I need 2lb of ledgerweights, 20 floats, 50 to a 100 hooks, simple answer no.

B

binka

I really hate the idea I'm lugging something around which I needn't be almost to the point of OCD.

I reckon I've honed it quite well now after sorting everything to go on a wall and being modular with things eg. different small bags for feeders, method feeders, leads, hooklinks along with separate float boxes for river and stillwater etc which I just grab at will for the session I'm fishing.

Initially the hard part was putting it all back again when I got home but after a few goes I soon got into the habit, probably takes me all of five to ten minutes.

If anything my problem is occasionally forgetting something I need to the point where I now carry a spare spreader block and V type rod rest head in the bag all the time due to that many occasions where I've forgotten 'em :eek:mg:

The waistcoat pockets are a different story altogether and I really should sift through 'em more regularly...

Keith M

Reaction score
Like Binka I have a small separate tacklebag for each type of fishing that I currently do.

ie. I currently have small tacklebags for: Small Stream & River tackle, Stillwater tackle (General), Carp fishing tackle, Pike fishing tackle, Small lures and drop shotting tackle, plus a seatbox containing my pole/match fishing tackle.

I only carry what I think I need for the day and no more, and leave the rest in my main tackle boxes at home.

When I was younger I used to carry most of my tackle in one large bag but the days of breaking my back to get to a swim are long gone; I'd rather be mobile than stuck to a heap of tackle LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

papajoe

Reaction score
Well I gave it a go yesterday. Just took the 1 rod attached to a centre pin. A small rucksack with a small tackle box, scales, forceps, landing net and unhooking mat. Oh, and a chair. I do not recall being short of anything so I think this is the way forward for me. I had 15 Carp to 10.5lbs mostly on floating bread in the margins so I was very satisfied with the trip.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Obviously in summer it's all a lot easier.
You don't need ultralight ultra rip off gear when there's not even any need to bring much gear in the first place. Float fish: no need for bankware or alarms, very effective for big carp, caught my top two fish on a float, it's simple, totally clutter free, very sensitive bite indication wise, and bizarrely out of fashion. You don't even have to carry leads, just a packet of hooks and a float tube!

THERMAL, very good quality roll mats like Thermarest Z Lites used with a good army Roll mat/Memory foam, things like that are fine to use instead of a bedchair. I actually prefer being on the deck and this saves massive, massive bulk and weight.

Shelter is just a 'stripped out' bivvy.. i.e front removed.. to keep the weather off you just set it nice and low by leaving off the tension strap and spreading it out side to side.. also the shelter can be rolled up 'long' so that it can be taped to your rod holdall rather than carried as another luggage item.. in my experience much lighter than any brolly I've used (or can afford, have you seen the price of 'ultralight' Aqua brollies? (Think I'll pass)..

Oh and Trangia Mini stove kit.. tiny (genius) meths camping stove, very light and compact, and far more effective than the knockers inevitably make out who stick to their revolting propane canisters
Bait and food neatly rationed, little tip for you: always go easy on the bait anyway, far too many anglers use far too much and 90% of the time it ruins your swim stone dead.

Last edited:

caelan

Reaction score
THIS season I have left loads at home an not missed any of it YET
my back an legs feel a lot better for it till I go away in aug then everything
is coming with me not taking any chances LOL