Don't like PVA

lovelyjubbly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wish I hadn't passed on the spag trick now...
I'm not trying to be rude mate but it isn't a world shaker, carpers have been using things like bits of alka seltzer tablets for years to the same means of temporary semi fixing the lead setup before it becomes a true running rig after your melty thing has melted!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Absolutely - the "Headache" rig was its code-name in the secret squirrel world, wasn't it?
But the thing with spag is that it will act as a stop for 20 min. or so, then soften to the point where a potential tether rig no longer is, which is why it only works if you re-cast quite frequently.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like it, I also like to use it as a meat stop when I'm fishing meat direct on the hook (sometimes that works) a quick strike before you wind in ensures the meat comes off and you feed the swim.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Catching a carp is not a life or death matter. Just devise what YOU consider to be an effective 'rig' from bits and pieces in the shed. It's a lot more fun and infinitely more satisfying than buying ready-made wonder-rigs. Cheaper too. Ditch bolt-traps and rely on your wits and timing: that's a lot more fun too - and involves a degree of skill. Chris Yates and Martin Gay broke the British records for mirror and common carp respectively using a couple of bits of sweetcorn on a free line weighted with a shot.

cg74

Reaction score
Catching a carp is not a life or death matter. Just devise what YOU consider to be an effective 'rig' from bits and pieces in the shed. It's a lot more fun and infinitely more satisfying than buying ready-made wonder-rigs. Cheaper too. Ditch bolt-traps and rely on your wits and timing: that's a lot more fun too - and involves a degree of skill. Chris Yates and Martin Gay broke the British records for mirror and common carp respectively using a couple of bits of sweetcorn on a free line weighted with a shot.

Cliff, strictly speaking Martin Gay never broke the British carp record, and as it stands the nationality of his carp can't be proven.

As for the rest of your post, I won't burst your bubble of ignorance...

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's always been a bone of contention where those fish came from and unfortunately without the benefit of the original unadulterated pictures to refer to we never will know the truth.

For the benefit of those who have no idea what this is about a look at this article and the subsequent comments from 2013 should help clear the water.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/feature...-48lb-common-setting-the-record-straight.html

The author has chosen to retain his anonymity for some reason but I would not be surprised if it was our editor, the writing styles are very similar.

nicepix

Reaction score
I seem to remember the author 'came out' after the validity of the story once again became questioned.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Clive, you should know by now my memory is ****, who was it?

nicepix

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your memory. Or powers of deduction Ade.

In response to a direct question from The Bad One:

Yeah, it was silly, I know...wish I hadn't, and I apologise. I very quickly tried to make it obvious... seemed a good idea at the time! I do hope Paul Selman comes back with some answers to my questions and observations - particularly the one about the Partridge MKlV lying alongside one of the bigger carp Martin caught. He didn't take receipt of that rod until AFTER he'd returned from BC. As a non 'carp-man' (indeed, the 'carp man's' greatest foe!) it's highly unlikely he found another, different water to bless him with such a whacker. No, it was one of a string of big carp - including the '48' ('52') - he caught from an English water - just like he said. Again, sorry about the cupid stunt

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
PVA is a good thing ,for me anyways. Leelzy, you are an argumentative git sometimes.
Glad to see Martin Gay gets resurrected from time to time. I believe it, I am also not in the slightest bit surprised the modern carp scene despised him for it and his contempt for them. One begets the other which in a roundabout way brings us back to the OP. Who I notice is also banned.
Goodnight Vienna.