Brew kit ?

naxian62

Reaction score
Hi guys,
What's the smallest most compact portable gas burner thingy? Aside from making a fire. For making a fresh brew on , doubt I'll ever use it for actually cooking on. And where do to buy these things?
Cheers.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Why bother with gas etc when you could use more environmentally friendly materials in one of these?

Kelly Kettle® - Camping Kettle & Stove | Camp Equipment | Camp Cookware | Survival kit | Kelly Kettle® - Original & Best

I've had mine for literally years and years and it brews ultra fast needs nothing other than a few sticks, pine cones or other combustibel natural materials forund by any bank side.

The smaller model is perfect for just the one or two brews or the larger one if you have a mate with you.

Last edited:

naxian62

Reaction score
Thanks for that P. Looks just the job. Do you manage to find dry stuff to burn in this country?

Reaction score
Some angling clubs/venues dont allow the Kelly kettles because they use 'fire' (otherwise I would get one).

I use one of these - very compact and can be attached to small or large gas bottles. I just fold it up and put it in my small kettle. the 'PZ' means its push button to light with a spark so no matches. Twister Plus PZ

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that P. Looks just the job. Do you manage to find dry stuff to burn in this country?

Yes, in fact I tend to keep enough material dried and carry it inside the main chimney of the kettle, and even slightly damp twigs soon dry and burn as long as you don't put too many inside at a time.

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Some angling clubs/venues dont allow the Kelly kettles because they use 'fire' (otherwise I would get one).

I never quite fathomed that line of thinking, have you ever seen what happens when a gas stove tumbles over?

Just as much of a fire risk or even more so given the amount of available fuel in the canister . . . . . .

Neither of my angling clubs has a ban on kelly kettles, thankfully and neither do the syndicate either.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I know! Daft rule, but some clubs had to make it black and white to cater for the idiot factor.

I totally agree, but then some clubs seem to be run by individuals who would make a great career as political advisers to the Nanny State.

Thankfully my local clubs take a practical approach to such things . . . . .in fact, if they didn't then I'd not renew my annual memberships to be honest

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score

I use one of these - very compact and can be attached to small or large gas bottles. I just fold it up and put it in my small kettle. the 'PZ' means its push button to light with a spark so no matches. Twister Plus PZ

I have one. They are reliable. I even use it to cook basic meals on when walking in the Lake District. Food connoisseur I'm not.

sam vimes

Reaction score

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can pick up a nice compact burner from go outdoors for a tenner, give or take a couple of quid. Bottles of gas are only cheap and last for ages.

Never sen the point in those daft kelly kettles. I go fishing to catch fish not to make fires, better to join the boy scouts for that lol.

PJ some rules are often put in place by the landowner and to keep the water the clubs have to abide by them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PJ some rules are often put in place by the landowner and to keep the water the clubs have to abide by them.

Yes, some are indeed. However, thankfully not in my neck of the woods.

And long may it remain so . . . . . . .

As to the "point" of a Kelly Kettle, well, in most tests they boil a pint of water much quicker than a smelly gas alternative.

Just ask your mate MB2, he seemed to like them when he was around . . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, some are indeed. However, thankfully not in my neck of the woods.

And long may it remain so . . . . . . .

As to the "point" of a Kelly Kettle, well, in most tests they boil a pint of water much quicker than a smelly gas alternative.

Just ask your mate MB2, he seemed to like them when he was around . . . . . .

None of them as as quick as pouring out a flask ;). My little gas burner(very rarely ever used) doesn't smell and isn't dirty. Maybe it would be if it was used a lot, I don't know.

To be honest Peter I only know Mark from here and another forum he posted on.....but only very rarely. Unfortunatly I haven't heard from him for a long time now (he was a nice chap), maybe he's given up on forums after the frustration of being hounded by Mr dibble on here. I've no idea if he liked Kelly kettles or not.

I think they look nice and obviously do work but for me they're just too much hasstle and just another item to carry.

naxian62

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback fellas.
Now just off t' put t' kettle on.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
COLEMAN DUAL FUEL SPORTSTER II PETROL STOVE CAMPING 533
had mine for over 10years+ lasted me well in all weathers.....
nice and compact and light and really cheap to run on unleaded petrol.
cook in the outdoors not in the bivvy had too many flash overs in the past.
does coke up now and then just clean it out and good as new.

B

binka

Not sure exactly what your requirement is regarding venue types but if you're fishing rivers or anywhere with uneven banks it's worth investing in a cheap bivvy table with adjustable legs, they're often light and will slide into your bag and I think I paid around eleven quid for mine.

Invaluable on hard sloping banks where you want to make a brew...

laguna

Reaction score
I usually take a thermos flask though I've got a couple of alcohol burners too (I use methanol), a couple of small compact gas burners and I have a large double burner with a grill and toaster for making proper meals on! (Curry and rice and toasted Naan breads) :D

wes79

Reaction score
5 differing flasks for different outdoor persuits, Hexy-cooker (army issue), two gas (screw onto bottle type), one of those terrible single gas stove things with the gas cartridges (that keep sticking and aren't even wind proof) and a turbo-flame lighter/swiss made fire steel for dry day's & long walks, if on holiday and doing day ticket we have the Aldi portable gas cooker.

I like Gas for the convenience, the fire steel for its practicality as it makes you search out good tinder and kindling so tests skill, all depends on where and what situation demands are being made.

Looking into getting one of those the trangia cookers having found a way to make the fuel cheeply and easily :)

Happy fire lighting! :D

Last edited: