Carp Fishing Puzzle

wanderer

Reaction score
This problem and his solution comes from a far better carp angler than me, but having chatted with him about one of his articles, i am sure he wouldnt mind me setting you the puzzle he solved and see if anybody would try his approach or even have the thought patterns to try it. With my deep respect to Frank.
A large gravel pit , with a bar where the fish hole up on a gravel bar 3 foot under the surface at 120 yards, numerous bars between the bank and the target area, varying depths from 8 to 20 feet , massive weed growth and the fish dive straight in making landing them impossible, you have a boat, but thats all i am telling you, solutions please, you got 3 days before i will tellyou what he did.

laguna

Reaction score
Not enough information to go on really, but based on your description of the fish diving straight into the weed I would try a preemptive tactic and use the boat (assuming a bait boat?) to position the rig in the weed in the hope that they would bolt into open water and can be reeled in.

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm useless at logic puzzles, so I'll be watching this with interest. I'd have a short, stout rod, scuba gear and net, then sit at the bottom of the bar, s******ing at the subterfuge, until it took me for a drag :eek:

Hey, bloody forum won't let me say "s n i g g e r i n g!"

wanderer

Reaction score
Not enough information to go on really, but based on your description of the fish diving straight into the weed I would try a preemptive tactic and use the boat (assuming a bait boat?) to position the rig in the weed in the hope that they would bolt into open water and can be reeled in.
it was a rowing boat and was only used for positioning the bait.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Did he drop his rig on the far side of the bar so, once hooked, the fish has no alternative than to swim upwards over the bar and has no chance of diving straight into the weed?

tom_moran

Reaction score
Drop the bait from the boat and rake all the weed out on the way back in.

flightliner

Reaction score
Well, my first move would be to fish from the bank that allowed me to fish with the gravel bars running from me to the opposite bank, having them all in front of me would be somewhat detrimental.maybe go for the boat option with a hooked fish to get over it.Much else could be overcomplicating things.

B

binka

He used his boat to row out large amounts of pre-bait which were in turn placed on the top of the gravel bars in an ever decreasing distance from his position over a period of time.

When the carp finally arrived on a nearby bar which offered a reasonable prospect of banking them he nailed them with a carefully placed bait attached to strong gear which allowed a degree of indulgence due to the carp's confidence after following the pre-bait for several days/nights.

I know that's not gonna be the answer :eek:mg:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
He attached a large float / buoy to the line keeping the depth to 3ft, since the fish was not powerful enough to drag the float under, it was not able to reach the weed? or did he need a bigger boat?

wanderer

Reaction score
He attached a large float / buoy to the line keeping the depth to 3ft, since the fish was not powerful enough to drag the float under, it was not able to reach the weed? or did he need a bigger boat?

Ian, you had the advantage of the original article, thats very naughty old chap, it would have been interesting to see what these lads come up with, i will shoot you with a boilie next time we go fishing. He knew the answer, a large water container filled with air was attached just over depth and a large drop off lead of around six ounces held the lot in place and as Ian says the air in the plastic bottle created resistence to the fish diving allowing Frank to tow it to the bank.
I did ask Frank if he got the idea from jaws but he denied it, make up your own mind, the guys a pro.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Ian, you had the advantage of the original article, that's very naughty old chap, it would have been interesting to see what these lads would have come up with

Sorry , I hadn't read the article (to my knowledge):eek: Just thought about the problem and that moment in Jaws came to mind for some reason :w If I had read the article I wouldn't have said anything unless it was miss-leading :D You could have let it run (pun intended).

I will shoot you with a boilie next time we go fishing.
I usually get most of your catapulted feed anyway, I thought you were doing it to try and get the ducks in my swim :p :D

wanderer

Reaction score
Sorry , I hadn't read the article (to my knowledge):eek: Just thought about the problem and that moment in Jaws came to mind for some reason :w If I had read the article I wouldn't have said anything unless it was miss-leading :D You could have let it run (pun intended).

I usually get most of your catapulted feed anyway, I thought you were doing it to try and get the ducks in my swim :p :D
Just as you net one of those high twenty mirrors from the menagerie, i will launch a hail of Ghost from my new catty and you will die a happy man you old crook, hee, hee and Jon we will will consign the offending item to the lake and go and have a beer afterwards, grinning at the evil ones fate.

ciprinus

Reaction score
Just as you net one of those high twenty mirrors from the menagerie, i will launch a hail of Ghost from my new catty and you will die a happy man you old crook, hee, hee and Jon we will will consign the offending item to the lake and go and have a beer afterwards, grinning at the evil ones fate.

hey, just give me the nod steve, i will come along just to watch that hahaha!!!

wanderer

Reaction score
your welcome Jonno, i still want to see the look on his face when he hooks one of our finest, he is cracking company though, cant do him in, running out of mates these days.

ciprinus

Reaction score
your welcome Jonno, i still want to see the look on his face when he hooks one of our finest, he is cracking company though, cant do him in, running out of mates these days.

shouldnt live so far away mate, i lost my fishing buddy so its all lonely time for me lol