Carp noob questions

mujician

Reaction score
I've just started to get into carp fishing - still don't have a clue what I'm doing really so I take my little whip with me when I set up so I still get some action while I'm waiting - but anyway.... I've read a few places require a 'Carp Care Kit' when anglers come to target carp on their waters. Is this something I can buy, or do I need to make up my own carp care kit? What should it include? What are the most important components?
Also, I have a rod pod with some bite alarms and bobbins. the alarms are self explanatory - the beep when there is some action on the line, but the bobbins? I just don't get them. Is there any need for both at the same time? Is it there just incase the batteries go flat? Then theres the question of how tight should I be attaching the bobbin to the line? I tried it out at home, and if I screw it closed there is no way I can lift the rod off the pod and the bobbin comes off easily. Should I be 'critically balancing' it?!

Many thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
What exactly it is that constitutes a carp care kit is often fairly vague in fishery rules. However, the likes of Korda, Nash and Kryston produce(d) kits.

I wouldn't be without bobbins, or some other secondary visual indicator. However, some do get away without them. Without them, it's unlikely that drop backs will be indicated effectively by alarms alone. Even full blooded runs might not be picked up as effectively by bite alarms when not using a secondary indicator. They also give the angler a good visual on what exactly is going on.

The clips on any type of visual indicator need to be set up so that they don't grip the line too tightly. You don't want them to drop off at the merest provocation, but you do want them to release when you lift into a fish.

mujician

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, that makes sense - I didn't think about the hook/bait being spat back out.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, that makes sense - I didn't think about the hook/bait being spat back out.

An indicator dropping back isn't necessarily about a bait being dropped. If a fish runs towards you when fishing a fixed/semi fixed lead bolt rig, the indication you'll see is a drop back.

mujician

Reaction score
While I'm here - I currently have two carp rods. They are 2.75lb TC. I'd like to add a third rod for carping for when I go to waters that allow three rods, but should I be going for more the 2.75 if I want to catch bigger carp? I know theres not much difference but would 3lbs be better? I've seen some Daiwa rods that are 3lb TC that I quite like the look of.

Many thanks for any input

sam vimes

Reaction score
Test curves have little to do with the size of fish. A 2.75lb rod is capable of landing any carp that swims. Higher TCs are for casting greater distances and greater loads.

mujician

Reaction score
Heavier loads as in casting, or retrieving? Is there a big difference between 2.75 and 3? When I look at getting marker/spod rods, what kind of TC would you suggest? I had it in my head I should look at getting 5lb TC for these. So are you suggesting that for catfish 2.75 is an okay TC?

Thanks you again - really useful!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Heavier loads as in casting, or retrieving? Is there a big difference between 2.75 and 3? When I look at getting marker/spod rods, what kind of TC would you suggest? I had it in my head I should look at getting 5lb TC for these. So are you suggesting that for catfish 2.75 is an okay TC?

Thanks you again - really useful!

For casting heavier loads and greater distances. TCs of marker and spod rods have crept up in recent years. 5lb is about the top limit of what I've seen for spod rods. Markers are generally lighter than spod rods at around the 3.5lb mark. However, there's a bit of a trend towards using heavier spod rods for marker work and some manufacturers don't even state a test curve. Again, the choice you make depends on the distances and weight you intend to cast.

Unless these catfish you are hoping to tangle with are well in excess of 50lb, you may have a fight on your hands, but most 2.75lb rods should handle them. You need to decide whether the carp or the cats are your primary quarry. If you buy gear aimed squarely at large cats, catching smaller carp isn't likely to be much fun.

I'd suggest buying carp kit appropriate to the size of the average fish and venue. Worry about the cats if and when you encounter them.

john step

Reaction score
I have seen a book advertised for carp beginners which you may find helpful. I believe it covers all the basics.

It is by Kev Green who died recently. It is a Haynes Manual. Cannot remember the exact title but called something like Carp fishing manual.

Should be able to view it on web with those details.

Last edited:

ciprinus

Reaction score
I've just started to get into carp fishing - still don't have a clue what I'm doing really so I take my little whip with me when I set up so I still get some action while I'm waiting - but anyway.... I've read a few places require a 'Carp Care Kit' when anglers come to target carp on their waters. Is this something I can buy, or do I need to make up my own carp care kit? What should it include? What are the most important components?
Also, I have a rod pod with some bite alarms and bobbins. the alarms are self explanatory - the beep when there is some action on the line, but the bobbins? I just don't get them. Is there any need for both at the same time? Is it there just incase the batteries go flat? Then theres the question of how tight should I be attaching the bobbin to the line? I tried it out at home, and if I screw it closed there is no way I can lift the rod off the pod and the bobbin comes off easily. Should I be 'critically balancing' it?!

Many thanks

While I'm here - I currently have two carp rods. They are 2.75lb TC. I'd like to add a third rod for carping for when I go to waters that allow three rods, but should I be going for more the 2.75 if I want to catch bigger carp? I know theres not much difference but would 3lbs be better? I've seen some Daiwa rods that are 3lb TC that I quite like the look of.

Many thanks for any input

heya mujican, i will try to answer your Qs as simply as poss, i stress not because i think you are thick but because too much info can cause a sensory overload and your brain could go pop :D
first, the carp care kit; a Nash one consists of a 25ml bottle of antiseptic, a half doz Qtips, a small hand towel and a natty little bag to keep it in and a price tag of around £12 to £15.
there are alternatives out there the cheapest dedicated one is the Kryston Klin-ik at C £10. if you really want to get the best tho i would go to holland and barrett and purchase a 30mm bottle of Bee Propolis for C £3.50 and a tub of Qtips for about 90p.

second, your bobbins, as Sam said the bobbins are a drop back indicator mainly but they are also a good indicator of things going on that the alarms wont pick up, most alarms have 4 magnets on the roller and it is these mags that cause the beep as the roller rotates, that means that they beep 4 times to a full rotation, BUT it also means that your line can move up to 50mm without registering a beep, it will however register on your bobbins as a rise and fall and that should alert you to the fact that a fish is moving around your bait.

third, most bobbins come with an adjustable collar to tweak the grip on the line and should be set so that the bobbin grips firmly but pings off with a sharp tug, if you set your rod on the pod with the bait runner on (free position) the bobbin should grip the line but ping off when the rod is picked up without pulling line off the spool,
ideally the bobbin height should be set at halfway between the rod and the ground.

fourth, if you already have a pair of 2.75 Tc rods i personally would go for a 3.25 Tc for my third rod and fill your spare spool with 50lb braid, that way you will have a rod that doubles up as a spod and marker rod, do be aware tho that the stiffer the rod then the more chance you have of bumping the carp off the hook and as this invariably happens as you get the blighter near the net it can be a little stressful :eek:mg:
best of luck in your new venture bud :cool: