a right dog’s dinner!

laguna

Reaction score
Have you ever nicked a bit of your dogs food for bait?

did you get a bite? :D

I've used floating dog biscuits before and I've used a chunk of what looks like a long black pudding sausage for want of a better description, but I'm looking for ideas for a mate who wants to try all sorts... just for a laugh! (he's barking)! Thinking maybe a big soft hooker bottom bait like Bakers meaty meals.

I'll pass on any of your suggestions, thanks guys! :thumbs:

sagalout

Reaction score
I've used the lidls coshida cat food, good for tench (probably good for carp to but I was using it on a carp free water).

seth49

Reaction score
The bakers meaty meals actually float,so you could pop them up I suppose, they make a very good floater bait,I've had lots of carp on them this year.

The large ones can be side hooked and cast a long way, if you use the largest size, I prefer to free line them if possible, I seem to get more takes fished without a controller etc.

Been using a four or five foot hook length, attached to twenty pound braid, this casts really well, and the braid doesn't seem to spook them like nylon.

greenie62

Reaction score
Have you ever nicked a bit of your dogs food for bait?

did you get a bite? :D

When I nick the dog's food I get pitiful looks from the pooch - and not much better from SWMBO!:eek: - and yes - I did get bites - but not from the pup (or SWMBO).
greenie62-albums-my-album-picture3865-img-0982-cr.jpg

The poor dog doesn't realise yet that her diet is determined - not by price or nutritional benefit - but how good it is as a floating bait for Carp!:eek::eek:mg:

steve80

Reaction score
a little different here, but i used to use some weird baits just to try and get a bite. 90% of them worked. try pepperami with a cork insert (the red stick pepperami seems to work well) or for bottom bait just leave out the cork obviously lol. another bottom bait what i found works well on most venues for carp is a slug which im sure alot of you have already tried. the weirdest bait ive tried is a strawberry and i couldnt believe it,within ten mins of casting id got a 17lb mirror in the landing net. they work well as bottom baits.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For something different I've used Frolic dog food for a great many years having a lot of success with both carp and barbel. Once hair rigged (it sinks) you can even add an 8mm cork ball, or piece of cork doweling, to the hole in the centre for neutral buoyancy............

greenie62

Reaction score
Greenie... How could you? :eek: ;) :D

Trained since puppy-hood!

Wouldn't have risked it with the previous dog - a Westie - who would have aggressively searched me and my tackle bags for any leftovers! :eek:

john step

Reaction score
I like using paste. One of the very best was CHAPPIE ORIGINAL mixed with brown crumb.
It stinks. Its got bits and lumps in it. It works.

laguna

Reaction score
I've used the lidls coshida cat food, good for tench (probably good for carp to but I was using it on a carp free water).
I used to carry a couple of pouches of whiskers cat food with me and caught well on runs waters, not selective though as all sorts of fish like it.

The bakers meaty meals actually float,so you could pop them up I suppose, they make a very good floater bait,I've had lots of carp on them this year.

The large ones can be side hooked and cast a long way, if you use the largest size, I prefer to free line them if possible, I seem to get more takes fished without a controller etc.

Been using a four or five foot hook length, attached to twenty pound braid, this casts really well, and the braid doesn't seem to spook them like nylon.
Free lined floater eh? Might have a go myself on Willows lake this year. Didn't realised they float thanks muchly for the info ill pass it on. :w

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

For something different I've used Frolic dog food for a great many years having a lot of success with both carp and barbel. Once hair rigged (it sinks) you can even add an 8mm cork ball, or piece of cork doweling, to the hole in the centre for neutral buoyancy............
Are they soft Jerry?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Are they soft Jerry?

No, they're hard Chris - I drill through to the centre using a small 'boilie/ pellet' drill and then stick on a hair in the usual way. You can just use a baiting needle if you're brave....................

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
No, they're hard Chris - I drill through to the centre using a small 'boilie/ pellet' drill and then stick on a hair in the usual way. You can just use a baiting needle if you're brave....................
I meant are the frolic's hard?
On the subject of pushing needles through cork, i've been looking high and low for a punch of some kind. Just big enough a hole to thread a hair through. The wife's a keen needle crafter but doesn't know of one small enough she did suggest leather punch pliers but that might be too big big.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I meant are the frolic's hard?
On the subject of pushing needles through cork, i've been looking high and low for a punch of some kind. Just big enough a hole to thread a hair through. The wife's a keen needle crafter but doesn't know of one small enough she did suggest leather punch pliers but that might be too big big.

Oops, we're not on the same wavelength here Chris - I meant drilling through the outer skin of the frolic to the middle (hole) hair rigging it with a stop and then just pushing the cork ball into the hole. The frolic is not 'rock' hard but hard enough to break in two sometimes if you don't use a drill - then again half a frolic works well, you just get a smaller bait without the neutral buoyancy........:)

BTW I always push a needle through cork but in this instance it just slots in..

robtherake

Reaction score
a little different here, but i used to use some weird baits just to try and get a bite. 90% of them worked. try pepperami with a cork insert (the red stick pepperami seems to work well) or for bottom bait just leave out the cork obviously lol. another bottom bait what i found works well on most venues for carp is a slug which im sure alot of you have already tried. the weirdest bait ive tried is a strawberry and i couldnt believe it,within ten mins of casting id got a 17lb mirror in the landing net. they work well as bottom baits.

Matt Hayes did the same thing in a photo article for one of the papers. How do they compare, pricewise, to strawberry boilies, one wonders? :)

laguna

Reaction score
Oops, we're not on the same wavelength here Chris - I meant drilling through the outer skin of the frolic to the middle (hole) hair rigging it with a stop and then just pushing the cork ball into the hole. The frolic is not 'rock' hard but hard enough to break in two sometimes if you don't use a drill - then again half a frolic works well, you just get a smaller bait without the neutral buoyancy........:)

BTW I always push a needle through cork but in this instance it just slots in..
Got ya! many thanks Jerry.

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

Matt Hayes did the same thing in a photo article for one of the papers. How do they compare, pricewise, to strawberry boilies, one wonders? :)

Pricewise, I would have thought real strawberry's are cheaper at around £1.99 a punnet Rob? but not as good as some of the better boilies made with real strawberry extract, at least in my experience anyway. Funny you would think all kinds of fruit would be fantastic, but its the same with melon which ornamental carp seem to like but their **** as a bait.
The reason is probably (very likely) that fruit juices are too subtle compared to extracts and concentrate.

steve80

Reaction score
well a boilie will stay on the hair longer i can tell you that. i just tried it once as someone told me it would work, it did but id sooner eat them to be fair and use strawberry boilies on the hair. im trying a new boilie at the mo. (salty squid) i wouldnt want to eat one of those lol

laguna

Reaction score
Boilies might stay on the hair better than a piece of fruit, but I'm always aware that something you can't 'shake' from a hook sometimes favours the anglers choice and ability to cast than what the fish prefer.

I think a softer, more soluble bait packed with REAL flavour catches more fish.

Last edited: