Sinking line

grizzlebear

Reaction score
Hi guys. Following my not netting post im now on a Size 10blowback safety rig and keeping the rod up when landing with a better net. Getting on great so thought i would go the next step.
Better line for the bigger fish in the pond. Have spooled a reel with EZ fluro and its just birdnesting. Warmed it before loading and have let it out and rewound through a cloth to settle it on the reel.

Ideas on a better line please. Also size of line(fish upto 18lb). I take it a sinking line is a must on stillwater?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use flouro as a mainline and prefer ProGold & Clear, also Krystonite. I've never used THIS but some friends use it and speak very highly of it.

kenpm

Reaction score
ESP Syncro XT in 18lb casts well and sinks well and is a fair bit stronger if you use decent knots as it explains on the packaging.

Keith M

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use flouro as a mainline and prefer ProGold & Clear, also Krystonite. I've never used THIS but some friends use it and speak very highly of it.

I also prefer Pro-Gold & Pro-Clear, it always gets good writeups in the yearly EFFT line tests for its suppleness, shock absorbency, abrasion resistance and under rated line strengths.

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's up with maxima, i've used chameleon and it seemed to sink quickly.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I used 6lb chameleon last season and it sank well, bit stretchy for my liking but it landed fish upto 14lb10oz. This year I've used both 6lb sensor which imo is better than the chameleon as it doesn't stretch as much and also used pro tough 8lb and I reckon it's good for fish upto 30lb, can't rate it highly enough

robtherake

Reaction score
I used 6lb chameleon last season and it sank well, bit stretchy for my liking but it landed fish upto 14lb10oz. This year I've used both 6lb sensor which imo is better than the chameleon as it doesn't stretch as much and also used pro tough 8lb and I reckon it's good for fish upto 30lb, can't rate it highly enough

I seem to remember Maxima being amongst the least stretchy lines when it became available in local tackle shops. How times change.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ain't gonn'a argue with you tm, I use sensor for most of my fishing and always recommend it but there seems to be a lot of people who hate it on FM !

I think sensor is quite stretchy though.

Keith M

Reaction score
What's up with maxima, i've used chameleon and it seemed to sink quickly.

I often use Maxima for open water waggler fishing and for this I think it's a really good line (better than most), but I've also had Maxima suddenly part as soon as a large fish has gone round some rushes or run through some reeds, and I needed a line that could also take this type of abuse especially when I was after fish like Barbel and Carp in streams and small rivers that were lined with rushes and reed beds, and I started using Pro-Gold which I found to be a lot more reliable for this type of water and Pro-Gold also had a lot of good writeups from a lot of good anglers that I knew. So if I am ledgering on a river for Barbel or whenever I'm after Carp I usually use Pro-Gold or Pro-Clear.

But In the end It's just a personal choice someone else may have a completely different experience.

Keith

Last edited: