Otters again...

laguna

Reaction score
I recently informed a 'lovie' that a big carp costs as much as £3,000 he said well your showing your true colours now for thinking fish are worth more than an otter!
You can't educate these thick types, they want to reintroduce predators that eats fish (usually only the heads) yet don't consider the consequences. I mean, who but us anglers pay for fish stocks?

I sensed I won the argument because he next went on to the reintroduction of Beavers and re-wilding of wolves and bears! :eek:mg:

Ps. One of my clubs are catching mink in traps - without bait.
(and the odd squirrel)

http://lagunafp.eu/repository/trapped/mink-20161007_161542.jpg
mink-20161007_161542.jpg

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
I know people that are talking to the NFU to see if fish (ok, carp) can be classed as livestock, thus insured against loss. And the NFU has a bit of clout.....

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
You just can't educate these thick types.
Well have a go mate. What is a "lovie" ?

thecrow

Reaction score
don't know if this helps

Example sentences containing 'lovie'

The man flashed me a brief, guilty smile - I don't think he can have been as far gone as she was - and said, `Sorry, lovie

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
He was referring to luvvies.
The point I was trying to make was that if you're going to accuse people of being thick it's best not to submit a post full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
Anyways. Glad his club is free of squirrels.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The point I was trying to make was that, if you're going to accuse people of being thick, it's best not to submit a post full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
Anyway, glad his club is free of squirrels.

I quite agree. ;):p

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Fish as livestock? Well, they're live, and, in many cases stocked, so the logic is clear.
However, in the kerfuffle - if that's how it's spelt - over the recent huge carp, someone elsewhere posted a link to a carp supplier who can microchip the carp they sell and register them on a national pet database.
Pets, eh?
Be very careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing as how "luvvie" or "lovie" was originally a slang term and only relatively recently introduced (and later than the reintroduction of the Apex Predators that are Otters) I have to wonder if it really matters how it is represented on a page providing that the intention is understood . . . .

My views on he reintroduction of Otters, without any form of prior consultation with the angling world, are well known enough as to not need to be restated.

If needed then the words Environment hooliganism should suffice!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I know people that are talking to the NFU to see if fish (ok, carp) can be classed as livestock, thus insured against loss. And the NFU has a bit of clout.....

Not if i got anything thing to do with it , it wont happen Objections and complaints already issued to the correct authorities .

PG ..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not if i got anything thing to do with it , it wont happen Objections and complaints already issued to the correct authorities .

PG ..

I think I could make a logical case for having commercial Carp as being "livestock" if push came to shove.

I'd be interested in reading exactly what your argument against this might be though?

Is there a difference between a carp fishery and, say, a PYO farm or even a conventional farm where livestock is bought in, grown on and then used for commercial and financial gain. Accordingly, any "loss" brought about by
outside forces, be they natural or man-made?

Frothey

Reaction score
The implication is, even for people like me with half a brain cell, that if the carp guys can get it through, then it'll apply to all stocked fish - fortunately otters eat other fish as well. So when they munch through the spinners barbel stocks, they could be replaced. Or when they clean out a chalk stream of brownies just before duffers week, the club can be recompensed. Cormorant damage would also fall under it, and all of a sudden if someone's actually losing money, who's to say shooting licences wont be easier to get. Downside is that the silver fish numbers might increase in the rivers, but us carp guys will be happy with that as it will keep the noddies away from the proper fishing.

But I'm sure all the other single species groups are on the case aren't they.....

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I think I could make a logical case for having commercial Carp as being "livestock" if push came to shove.

I'd be interested in reading exactly what your argument against this might be though?

Is there a difference between a carp fishery and, say, a PYO farm or even a conventional farm where livestock is bought in, grown on and then used for commercial and financial gain. Accordingly, any "loss" brought about by
outside forces, be they natural or man-made?

Well with 30K objections already , If you make Carp livestock then Every other species of fish in the UK has to be as well you can pull a stunt like that for carp alone one has also to remember that the only Native species of carp in the UK is the Curcian Carp .

Sorry but unless it encompasses all fish it is a non starter .

PG ...

Frothey

Reaction score
And if you read above, it could lead to any stocked, commercial fish being classed as livestock. The reason that carp are mentioned is that it's primarily carp guys that set up the PAG that are trying to push it through. I'm sure they'd love the support of the other single species groups - if they can stop arguing with each other for 5 minutes!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well with 30K objections already , If you make Carp livestock then Every other species of fish in the UK has to be as well you can pull a stunt like that for carp alone one has also to remember that the only Native species of carp in the UK is the Curcian Carp .

Sorry but unless it encompasses all fish it is a non starter .

PG ...

So, 30k objections already? That does seem an awful lot, might I ask as to where you get your research for that number?

I would agree in essence however that such a concept should encompass all fisheries regardless of species.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I believe that some fish are already considered livestock for the purposes of circumventing the protected status of other predatory animals and birds. Scottish commercial salmon farms have been given leave to deal with seals. Naturally, the antis are up in arms over it. There's little reason why similar protective legislation couldn't apply to all stocked freshwater fish, especially in enclosed commercial waters, but it's not going to be popular with the masses.

lutra

Reaction score
Wild carp although rare also indigenous to the uk.

Yes my mates lad gets to play football for wales on the grounds he has some 10 times taken away relative that slept with a sheep.....

Carp are not indigenous to all of the uk and are not naturally occurring in any of it. Otters are.