FISHING IN SHEFFIELD

Monty Python

Reaction score
some anglers will do anything to get a bite/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you mate. Yes it seems that there is a few members on this forum that are seeing words that are NOT there.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Jimmy, not a personal attack at all, but it does reveal that we should not eat what we catch unless we know something about the water!

Seriously Jimmy, Lee is right to point out the dangers of eating fish from any of the rivers around Sheffield and most of the West Yorkshire rivers, not long since they were all seriously polluted. There are some great commercial waters however, and if you need info I will gladly supply it, just let me know exactly when you and the lads are due up to our lovely city.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Jimmy all I can see is some pretty bad grammar and a spelling mistake making for a very difficult post to read.

That is not an attack, just an observation.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes it is an attack on me. One spelling mistake, and you say a very difficult post to read.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Sogster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Jimmy all I can see is some pretty bad grammar and a spelling mistake making for a very difficult post to read.

That is not an attack, just an observation. </blockquote>

Cheap shot Sogster! I'm not taking sides here, I never like to see anyone getting criticised for spelling or grammar. If it's just an observation why did you have to make a comment about it? Looks more like an personal attack to me? I can only see one spelling mistake, so what, the rest of the post reads okay to me.

If you wanna have a debate with someone then do it, don't criticise their spelling, that just makes you look high and mighty.

This is not an attack, just an observation, hope my spelling and grammar is okay?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Sogster, for what it's worth mate in my opinion I think an apology is called for, it was in poor taste.

And oh by the way,Lee Swords was spot on, I grew up alongside Rivelin Valley and all of my childhood was spent fishing on that river, for the Trout, and the Rivelin Dams for Roach and Perch. Starting in 1952, there is no comparison between Rivelin and the Loxley with the River Don or Rother. In my childhood years to a young adult they were open cesspits.

The Sogster

Reaction score
No attack at all or a cheap shot, apologies if you feel that way.

I have read and re-read the original post several times, before even making my first post. I find the post is difficult to read due to the punctuation, order of words and grammar.

Your response to my questions about whether you regularly BBQ your catch and to provide a list of your local waters where fish can be taken for the pot was to ask me to re-read your original post - I did.

Jimmy, if you feel there is more to your post than is evident, then please elaborate. I see a request for information about catching carp for eating on the bankside which I responded to in my original posts by informing you to check the EA website and local byelaws regarding fires on the bank.

I also informed you of stretches of free water where you can take fish for the pot. Not exactly the actions of a person attacking you.

Steve, to quote yourself "If it's just an observation why did you have to make a comment about it?"

You are entitled to your opinion, but I refuse to be drawn by your accusations and pedantry questions regarding your own grammar.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is what I have said in my first post;

Now we are wondering how manythey can catch and B.B.Q them. I will not be having any.

NOTICE the word they can catch and B.B.Q.Them. I will not be having any.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Sogster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

That is not an attack, just an observation. </blockquote>

Sogster, why did you make that post?

I always see it as a cheap shot when someone ridicules a member about their spelling or grammar. You are basically saying "I am educated better than you and therefore don't understand you?"

I don't believe you can't read Jimmy's post, or make sense of it, I can.

Debate with the members of FM, don't ridicule them.

Pedantic? Hmmm?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Looks good Steve........

until................."Jimmiy's post"

Should be ' Jimmy's post'

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Steve, trying to debate with the pompous is a no win situation, you see they are never wrong. And as a consequence never feel the need to apologise, same old, same old I suppose. Patronising I call it, productive, not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
What you on about Hewitt??? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

It just bugs me Derek!

Sorry edit.

What is one on about Hewitt??? /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

The Sogster

Reaction score
Jimmy, despite the fact that you will not be fishing for carp or partaking in the eating of any potential catch my questions are still valid.

You are asking on behalf of your friends how many fish can be taken for the pot. Therefore you are as responsible for their actions as they are. Simply because if you are supplying them with the information then you are directly influencing their actions.

To use an analogy: It is like standing in front of a judge and stating, "my friend shot the man, I only passed him the gun"

Are you saying that you don't ever BBQ your catch? If so why would you wish to assist others to?

Perhaps I should rephrase my second question:

Please provide me with a list of your local waters where my friends can catch fish for the pot. If your friends feel the need to deplenish stocks in my local waters it's only fair that you reciprocate and give other anglers the opportunity to reduce your local fish stocks.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It,s no use me going any further with this subject with you Sogster;

As it seems to me, that you have now resorted to change your tactic,s.

And as you say YOU can,t read my post, so what is the point in me wasting my time with you.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
The Sogster wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>

Jimmy, despite the fact that you will not be fishing for carp or partaking in the eating of any potential catch my questions are still valid.

You are asking on behalf of your friends how many fish can be taken for the pot. Therefore you are as responsible for their actions as they are. Simply because if you are supplying them with the information then you are directly influencing their actions.

To use an analogy: It is like standing in front of a judge and stating, "my friend shot the man, I only passed him the gun"

Are you saying that you don't ever BBQ your catch? If so why would you wish to assist others to?

Perhaps I should rephrase my second question:

Please provide me with a list of your local waters where my friends can catch fish for the pot. If your friends feel the need to deplenish stocks in my local waters it's only fair that you reciprocate and give other anglers the opportunity to reduce your local fish stocks.</blockquote>

Almost amusing............

/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

The Sogster

Reaction score
Jimmy my tactics have not changed. I am still seeking the answers to my original questions.

You have chosen to ignore my first perfectly valid question as to whether you have ever BBQ'd your catch. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

As to the second question I have simply rephrased it now that I understand that your work colleagues wish to catch and eat fish from my local waters. If you are willing to assist them then why not others? It seems that you are perfectly willing to take advice but not to give.

As stated before I have assisted you with some information regarding the local waters and pointed you in the right direction to ensure that they stay within the law.