"Silverwings" - water information?

S

Steve Plant

Can anyone help with some information?

I am looking for more details about a water that apparently was/is known as "Silverwings" - taking its name 'cos it was originally controlled by an angling club with connections to Rolls Royce I believe.

I have been told it was a popular carp venue a few years ago when it contained a much sought after big mirror carp, but, since the death of this one fish, is now largely unfished. I have also been told that it contains a good head of specimed bream, which is what I am most interested in. Yes, I'm one of those anglers who likes catching the slimy things!!

The water lies adjacent to Wraysbury 2, I think at the southern end, in fact it is separated by just a thin strip of land.

Any info would be most welcome, details of controlling clubs etc, contact phone numbers etc. That is if fishing is still permitted.

Cheers in anticipation,
Steve

S

Scott Loughnane

The priory as its also known as is run by local community as far as i know,the local church have something to do with it.
Try contacting them.
*scott*

R

rob tudor

The water is controlled by Blenheim AC they have a web site the best way of getting to it is to go to hooklinks.net clicking on clubs and there it is. The club has some archaic entrance requirement, and silverwings had no night fishing although that may have changed and that pit is vvv difficult the other lakes the club has got are pretty good as always in the colne valley car security can be a problem good luck although i think that the inland sea up the valley may be easier !?

S

Steve Plant

Cheers lads,

I've just sent a mail to the secretary of Blenheim AS, hopefully he can give me the up to date info.

Thanks again,
Steve.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I always thought the lake known as Silverwings was at Rickmansworth and that the limited fishing allowed was availble only through British Airways. For that reason I've never followed it up, but if I've got it all wrong then I'd like to know who has the fishing rights to that lake.

S

Steve Neck

Rob is correct with information regarding Blenheim AC, the reason it's called 'silverwings' is because the British Airways sailing club have use of the water.
If Blenheim AC still control the water, you can only fish the road bank and the bank that backs on to Wraysbury 2, the sailing club bank is out of bounds. The water also gets very weedy the sailing club used to cut the weed with a big floating cutting machine. As for the BA water at Rickmansworth BA control this water and unless you are an employee you can't get on there and it's heavily bailiffed.

S

Steve Plant

I've had a reply back from the secretary of Blenheim AC, apparently they are terminating their lease on Silverwings and has suggested I get in touch with Three Valleys Water which I assume is the local water authority. But it sounds as though even if fishing is still to be allowed, there are a lot of restrictions which may make a hard water in the first place even tougher.

D

David Will

To clear this up. Silverwings is or was the Blenheim AC water.Like most of the gravel pits in the Colne Valley it is owned by Three Valleys Water Company. They lease waters to clubs. Therefore to fish Silverwings you will have to either lease the water or wait for whoever takes up the fishing rights.
Murray the lake you are talking of is a British Airways lake for employees.The club used to be called Silverwings hence the confusion.It is now British Airways Clubs.