Hooklength material with a choddy

maver man

Reaction score
Am i right in saying when using the chod rig is best to use a stiff flourocarbon hooklink as it is stiffer and when the material warms you can form it rather than soft braid which is loser and more supple?

Cheers,
Adam.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
The chod rigs I have seen all use a stiff hooklength of flouro or similar around two to three inches long set up helicopter style. Usually with a pop-up bait mounted on a D-Ring.

I don't see why you would want to shape the hooklength by warming it though, flouro straightens with a quick pull whereas heating it up may affect it's strength.

Frothey

Reaction score
the only material to use for chod's is ESP stiff bristle. nothing else works the same, which is why people that are sponsored by other manufacturers still admit to using it.

you don't need to warm it, just pull it over your nail to get the curve, which is much better than having a straight section as mentioned above.

going flourocarbon isn't necessary - if you are worried about fish seeing the inch or two of line underneath the pop up, the swivel/hook/beads/lead will be more visible!

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks Frothy much appreciated.

I don't see why you would want to shape the hooklength by warming it though, flouro straightens with a quick pull whereas heating it up may affect it's strength.

...view the Korda vids on choddy's and the bend in it they explain it better lol

Cheers,
Adam

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have found Rig marole Cam H2O in 20lb it is stiff enough to get the all important arch in the hooklenght that is so important for chod rigs, however it is possible to get the flouro throught the chod hook three times even with a size 8 Korda hook. Oh and by the way dont to to stressed about doing a knotless knot when tying a chod rig try tying the rig with a whipping knot that way you only need to pass the line through the eye twice.

Knot_6.JPG

Knot_6.JPG

Simples

Last edited:

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks Ian.
I was gunna tie my hook similar to the way you tie a spade end but form a d out of the tag end add add a small rig ring to it :)

Cheers,
Adam.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Maverman
you can always crimp the Flouro like this
IMG_5509.jpg

Here are the hooklenghts
IMG_5488.jpg

I will do a how to article on chod rigs and alternative Knotless knots in the coming days.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
another point worth mentioning is the bouyancy off the pop up used for the chod rig to remain effective baits must retain a high level of bouywncy many shop bought pop ups are usually next to useless

maver man

Reaction score
Well i had a mainline milky toffee pop-up in for about 5 hours reeled in the change bait as i had no success and chucked the pop-up back into the water to see if it still maintained buoyancy and it did :)

richiekelly

Reaction score
although the pop up remained bouyant for 5 hours whilst fishing harder waters for big british carp the rods may need to remain in the water for the duration of the session mayb 4 days;)

maver man

Reaction score
Yes i did forget to state that :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I am can only go for 9 hours approx. and yes i understand that situation but my baits suit me so it all good.

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks ill have a look mate.
Atm i am being forced to use some 19lb monofilament and i dont know how that will work.

Cookie.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
For me a line that works well as a chod rig line need the following criteria to work well
1) Stiffness need to be stiff enough to hold a curve shape once steamed into postion but supple enough to be knotable.
2) Line memory once steamed must remain in curved shapewithout wilting.
3) Daimeter must not be to thick a diameter as getting the line through a chod hook eye three times is often a real challenge. A whipping knot over comes this issue but you then need a supple line to assist forming such a fiddly knot
4) Florocarbon I would alway prefer Flourocarbon as this has the stiffness and the verual invisabillity which gives you an adge over normal mono.
I often use Amnesia for stif booms but is if often very thick diameter and as such does not quite do it for me.
Good luck and whatch out for the really sharp choddy hooks as you tie the rigs.

Ian G