Canal Carp Challenge

quickcedo

Reaction score
On the other canal Carp thread I laid a challenge down to Speci to catch a 15lb or over Carp during the river close season. This is from a pound (one lock to the next) he doesn't know (fishing wise). This got me thinking. The challenge should be laid down to all of you. Be honest, pick a section of canal you don't know well and see what you can do. There are no prizes and def no glory to be had, just a good topic to chat about as it would be interesting to see how many ways people find to achieve this, baits, rigs etc and indeed how widespread Carp of this size are spread throughout the canals.
I personally think canals are very underated when it comes to carp fishing.

quickcedo

Reaction score
If enough take up the challenge. I must say I hope people do as this could prove to be quite a data base and encourage more to find the delight of canals.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
You just have to look at the small "Grachten" in the Netherlands, which are very small canals and they inhabit grass carp up to 30 lbs+ plus carp to good sizes.
I too think that canals are underrated.

I am in a fishing club which owns a small pond (220 meters by maybe 20 without counting the "safe-zone" (?) of about 15 by 15 meters and it inhabits a few good fish (although i ask myself sometimes what they feed on)

We have two Bighead Carp, one of them has 30lbs, we have one Wels which is estimated to be 1,50 meters (one of my targets for this summer ...), a pike of 1,08 meters found dead (died of old age probably) and some carp to up to 25lbs (caught that one myself and it is still in there).

And this is a closed water with no water running through except for a few drops from very small underground springs (this is a likely theory but it could also be just gas coming out of the ground on a few spots).

This is just to show how fish can thrive in small waters and canals are big compared to that.

jcp01

Reaction score
The biggest problem with canal carp is that they rarely show themselves so locating them is hard work. I live right next to the Coventry canal and it certainly has carp in it, but, I walk a couple of miles of it every day with the dog and the only time I ever see the carp is when they die and float to the surface, none of the usual jumping clear of the water, rolling, crashing around in weed beds. They are invisible...

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I might just have a go at this myself ??? I aint done any serious carp fishing for a good few years though !!!
Plenty of good canal fishing not too far away from me either and it`ll give me the chance to look at the piking possibilities as well :D

quickcedo

Reaction score
you can handle it Speci. You have big broad shoulders. I might even do it myself on a different pound. I really do hope we can get a few of us to do it as it will give rise to some good chat and not a little mickey taking!!!

Nathan

Reaction score
I'm definitely up for the challenge. I did hear that you can locate carp by walking up the canal with a bright torch, apparently the light shines back off their eyes in the same way as a cats. Anyone else heard of or tried this?

mr impatient

Reaction score
:DDon't know if the light shines off their eyes,but this bright torch buisness is a known method of searching a lot of water. I used to fish the Bridgewater canal in Manchester myself and that holds the canal record for pike at 37pounds plus. Best I could manage was 16. But it proves what an untapped source canals are.:D:D

quickcedo

Reaction score
Nathan, good man!
During the winter when the boat traffic stops the canal can become so clear that fish spotting with a torch is a real edge. However i have never heard of the reflecting eye theory, That of course is not to say it isn't so. However even in the summer the torch thing still holds advantages, because the fish can be found on or near the surface more at night than during the day imo due to the boats. Part of my location process is to use a torch and slowly drift along in my canoe, this I believe has saved me weeks of hard work trying to locate by other methods. Of course the most effective and simple way is to ask, matchmen (a great resource) and of corse the local tackle shop.

Nathan

Reaction score
Of course the most effective and simple way is to ask, matchmen (a great resource) and of corse the local tackle shop.

Ahh but you see the matchmen on my local canal aren't exactly the friendliest or most talkative bunch in the world!!

Local tackle shops could be the way forward. It will give me an excuse to go in there after work & see what shiney new things i can buy while im there! :D

Cakey

Reaction score
thats cool .....i dont know any pounds
but to be fair I will let you pick one anywhere on the Lea/Lee