The Method and colder times

rob hudson

Reaction score
Is it worth trying to catch with the method now its getting colder? Or do i scale down to small pva bags?

D

Dave Rothery

i use method all year round, though i use half groundbait half pellet.
and small pva bags

C

Carp Angler

It might pay you to experiment with drier mixes, so they are more active in the colder water and cut down on your oily ingredients, as the oils tend to coagulate as the ambient temperature lowers and an inert oliy mass on the lakebed may not be the most tempting of offerings.
Whereas a drier, more active mix may well attract marauding fish.

C

Cakey

As Rik says cut the oil down and try condensed milk instead for a nice cloudy effect.

K

Kevan Busby

Definately yes to that question, Add 2 tins of Tuna & Sunflower oil to your preffered method mix + a little of Hutchy's EVA flavouring ( of your choice) and wahay its kissing the block time..!!

D

Denis Goulding

Hi all,
Whats the cheapest most nutritional base mix available..i know its a contradiction but had to ask..

Regards,
Denis

D

Dave Rothery

you dont want a method mix to be nutritional, as it'll fill 'em up and stop them feeding. lots of coarse, smelly bits 'n' pieces to get the smell of food around, but with little food value.

ground particles, a bit of low oil pellet, bit of propietary groundbait, condensed milk or nesquik (for that luvly cloudy effect) and a little bit of fruity flavouring. you cant really go wrong!

D

Dave Rothery

if you mean for boilies, a simple fishmeal would be your best bet, but maybe not the right time of year to start feeding it in. if you want to , then drop the fish oil content and use a bit of olive oil to help the bait to roll.

rob hudson

Reaction score
The cheapest method mix is vitalin. looks a bit 'stodgey' for winter fishing as it comes in the bag, but I stick it in a blender for my winter mix. Add with baby milk powder and crushed hemp.