Hutchy Oval Brolly

S

Stuart Harvey

Any of you boys know much about the Hutchy Oval? Are they any good, can they fit a bedchair?

C

Carp Angler

I think that all ovals can fit a bedchair, that was the original reason for their design.

I have the Nash one, and aside from the obvious Nash issues (e.g. it leaked until I treated it) the size and shape are absolutely ideal for short session, mild weather fishing.

D

Dave Silvers

I've had a Rod Hutchy oval for about 3 years now.
It has stood up to some foul weather and never leaked.
I would recommend getting storm poles for it, just to add that extra stability in high winds.
There is room enough to fit a bedchair in lengthways but not much height due to the spokes of the brolly, especially if you lower the front extending legs to keep out the worst of the weather.
I have never bothered overnighting in so haven't tried to get an overwrap for it, I don't think Huthchy does one but other makes will probably fit, after all they are all pretty similar in shape.

S

Stuart Harvey

Rik

What did you treat yours with? I've been offered a Nash Profile for ?30 as well. But apparently the seams leak a bit. So it will need some sort of sealant put on it.

F

Frothey

fabsil do a seam sealant - put inside and out - and a brush on (much better than spray on) sealant.

C

Carp Angler

Fabsil is ok, but I've found that waterproof brick sealer (e.g. Thompsons waterseal) is much better and longer lasting.
Brolly needs to be left up until it's totally dry.

T

Tony O'Dell 2

I have also used the Thompson waterseal....coated my brollies two seasons ago..havent needed to re-do it yet.....