The Barbel Society Barbel Challenge Part 2

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
The Barbel Society Barbel Challenge in aid of The Army Benevolent Fund

Working as a team Five members of the barbel society are currently planning a task to take place over 10 days in which they will attempt to capture a barbel each including 20 double figure barbel from 10 english rivers, 2 from each river 5 in the north and 5 in the south.

Jerry Gleeson, Paul Floyd, Mark Dutton, Phil Smith and Dave Chambers aim to fish from 8th August 2014 some of the following Rivers:

Dove
Derwent
Trent
Soar
Wavon
Lea
Kennet
Nene
Colne
Thames
Hamps Avon
Arun

The aim is to get sponsors for the team based on the amount double figure barbel caught, on barbel overall or the event as a whole, its hoped members of the angling community family and friends will get behind this very worthwhile cause.
Donations can be made via jerry gleeson is fundraising for ABF The Soldiers' Charity or cheques made payable to The Army Benevolent fund.

Jez

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Severn this year Jerry?

I've kicked it off with a tenner for you.

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Not as of yet mate, struggled on there last year, although there are plenty of other stretches that would produce.

Many thanks much appreciated, thanks for your support :)

Jez

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Many thanks to Kings Weir Fishery for allowing us to use there stretch of river

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
We're after help securing a stretch of the lodden if anyone would like to help us

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Can't help there but if you fancy a couple of days on the welsh border Wye....??

Many thanks for the offer mate its appreciated, but we wernt going to do the wye it was just a little out of the way in relation to the other rivers.

Jez

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Dates we will be on rivers

Dove 8th/9th
Derwent 9th/10th
Trent 10th/11th
Soar 11th/12th
Nene or wavon 12th/13th
Kings weir 13th/14th
Colne 14th/15th
Lodden or Thames 15th/16th
kennet 16th/17th
Arun/Avon or Stour 17th/18th

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Back to the original 4

We need your help to raise money for The Army Benevolent Fund, please sponsor us on the event as a whole or on fish caught, the easieast way to danate is to use the just giving link, to sponsor us on fish caught please contact me.

The Barbel Society Barbel Challenge part 2 in aid of The Army Benevolent Fund
Working as a team four members of the barbel society are currently planning a task to take place over 10 days in which they will attempt to capture a barbel each including 20 double figure barbel from 10 english rivers, 2 from each river 5 in the north and 5 in the south.
Jerry Gleeson, Paul Floyd, Phil Smith and Dave Chambers aim to fish from 8th August 2014 some of the following Rivers:
Dove
Derwent
Trent
Soar
Wavon
Lea
Kennet
Nene
Colne
Thames
Hamps Avon
Arun
The aim is to get sponsors for the team based on the amount double figure barbel caught, on barbel overall or the event as a whole, its hoped members of the angling community family and friends will get behind this very worthwhile cause.
Donations can be made via jerry gleeson is fundraising for ABF The Soldiers' Charity or cheques made payable to The Army Benevolent fund.

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Just passed our 1st small milestone and gone past the £100 mark with donations, many thanks to those that have donated already.

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Specimen fishing UK have offered to be our official tackle shop sponsor and will donate 10% off all online sales to our justgiving page and will do this every week until the challenge finishes.
It's a fantastic shop with all the top brands so of you fancy some new bits and bobs give them a shout and help our charity out at the same time.

Specimen Fishing UK

Please quote "barbel challenge" should you place an order

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Loddon soughted out thanks to Tom Herbert and twyford angling and the thames thanks to civil service angling society.

just a little reminder about specimen fishing uk, this is a fantastic opportunity for us to raise a fantastic amount of money with your help.

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score

Please get behind us and help us raise a fantastic amount of money for our wounded sevicemen and women past and present
The easiest way to donate is our just giving page. jerry gleeson is fundraising for ABF The Soldiers' Charity.
Alternatively if you wish to sponsor us per barbel caught pop your name below.
Dont forget specimen fishing uk in coventry are donating 10% of all online sale's to our just giving page every week until the challenge ends, so if you need any new bits give them a shout and help us out as well. Specimen Fishing UK

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Now the planning is finished we will actually be fishing 14 rivers in 10 days
dove, derwent, trent, soar, wavon, nene, lea, colne, loddon, st pats, kennet, thames, avon, arun

the plan is still to get a barbel each from each river with the ultimate goal of a brace of doubles, we havent a hope in hell of doing it but it will be fun trying and with your help we'll raise lots of money for the army benevolent fund

jez

Last edited:

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Dates we're on rivers and who's fishing.

Dove 8/9th Me, Paul, Phil, Mark
Derwent 9/10th Me, Paul, Phil
Trent 10/11th Me, Paul, Phil
Soar 11/12th Me, Paul, Phil
Nene 12/13th Me, Paul, Phil
Wavon 13/14th Phil
Lea 13/14th Me, Paul, Dave
Colne 14/15th Me, Paul
River?? 14/15th Dave
Kennet 15/16th Me, Paul, Dave
Loddon/St pats 16/17th Dave, Paul
Thames 16/17th Me
Avon 17/18th Me, Paul, Dave

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Just over 6 weeks to go

The barbel society barbel challenge in aid of the army benevolent fund

Mission impossible

A barbel each including 2 doubles from 14 english rivers in 10 days

Following on from last year's successful challenge 4 members of the barbel society Jerry Gleeson, Paul Floyd, Phil Smith and Dave Chambers will aim to catch a barbel each including a brace of doubles from 14 rivers in just 10 days.
Working as a team they will fish the rivers dove, derwent, trent, soar, nene, warks avon, lea, colne, loddon, st pats, thames, kennet, arun and avon.

The aim is to get sponsors for the team on the amount of barbel caught or the amount of double figure barbel caught. It is hoped the angling community, family and friends will get behind this very worthwhile cause, donations can be made via the following options
www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson1 or cheques made payable to the army benevolent fund. Jerry can be contacted at kellou82@icloud.com for details of where to send.

Other ways to donate buy online from Specimen Fishing UK and 10% will be donated to our just giving page
or
Www.razziafishingsystems.com and 10% will also be donated

jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
4 weeks today we will be starting the challenge to raise money for the army benevolent fund and will be in our 1st river the dove.
We can only raise money with your help, any donation no matter how small will go along way.
Www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson1

Alternately you can sponsor us per barbel caught or per brace

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Christophe who owns razzia fishing systems has kindly offered us £30 per double if caught using his bang on method.
Suppose I'd best get practicing with it :)

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
The calamity of diasters and cock ups that happened to me last year

forgot to pack any underwear
didnt take enough clothes
the shower gel I packed turned out to be aftershave balm
thought I could spend 2 weeks wearing a pair of heavy boots and 3 pairs of socks
didnt take enough socks
left a trail of baiting needles from stockport to hampshire
lost 3 catapults
lost 2 pairs of polarised sunglasses
landing net pole floated off down the dove
Dropped a brand new dslr camera in the soar
shortly after I fell in the soar
the 1 pair of boots I took were now completely ****** wet through
destroyed Daves weeks supply of bog roll 5 minutes after meeting him on the loddon when it all fell in a puddle when I opened his passenger door
got bit on my eye and couldnt see properly for 3 days
im sure there's a lot more.
Incidently I left the house in a white pair of calvin kleins boxers, they were never the same again

jez

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need a back up crew Jez.