FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Coarse Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 21:55
Nigel Moors 2

I need to acquire some new boots for winter fishing. Used to wear waders all winter but that's not always practical nor warm. Can anyone advise me of what brands work best? I am a tight git and don't want to spend a fortune, hopefully any saved pennies can be used to warm clothing. Any suggestions on that front would be appreciated. I currently have a one piece waterproof suit that I tend to sling on over whatever I'm wearing.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:50
Fred Bonney

Nigel,can't help with boots,mine are 4 years old, but I think the maker has gone out of business,shame.(Treeme)
You can't go wrong with Sundridge clothing though and they 'throw' in some boots!
Old 10-10-2004, 11:06
Mel Crighton

Nigel, Check out Glasgow Angling's Ron Thompson range, I got Booted and suited last year for 75 and the suit is a two pce so if it gets a bit warm up top you can take it off.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:50

Graham Whatmore has a spectacular aura aboutGraham Whatmore has a spectacular aura aboutGraham Whatmore has a spectacular aura about

Moon boots are fine, and warm but they are a nightmare for walking in and extremely dangerous on the river bank.

I have a pair of Derry boots which are waterproof, extremely warm and so light you don't even know you have them on, brilliant for walking. I think they cost me about 40 but they are worth every penny, better than any moon boots.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason
Old 11-10-2004, 12:37
Paul Christie 3

Are there any other clothing makes that come well recommended, beyond Sundridge?

Sundridge have a good reputation, but they are also quite expensive.

I could do with a winter jacket, but knowing how clumbsy I am and how dirty I get myself, I'd be scared to use a 160+ coat for fishing.

Are there good quality, cheaper alternatives that people have used and tested?
Old 11-10-2004, 13:19
Shrek

If you don't mind what you look like, you might consider getting a Goretex British Army DPM Jacket. I've got one and it's excellent. 3 layer goretex, taped seams, wired hood with volume adjuster. Mines large enough to get 2 or 3 extra layers on underneath and the best bit is it only cost me 30.
Old 11-10-2004, 16:09

Bryan Baron 2 is on a distinguished road

Thats cheap Adrian there going for around 70 around here.
Old 11-10-2004, 16:15
EC

Paul I am not sure I agree that Sundridge gear is expensive, yes the top of the range and flotation suits aren't exactly cheap, but there are many 1 and 2 piece suits for around 100 mark that are spot on, and you do get a 2 year guarantee mate, something which I don't believe any other angling clothing manufacturers give!

See the other thread/s or reviews for reports on their 'igloo' suit! Best 120 or so I ever spent!

Cheers

EC
Old 11-10-2004, 20:08
Nigel Moors 2

Graham W. I did a google search for Derri boots and first up was review by someone on the Barbel world website. He gave a good review but thought that they were a bit cumbersome. That's not exactly how you felt about them so found another hit here. These look nice and slimline and light, are they like the ones you recommend.

Does anyone have any thing to say about the Skeetex type boots?
Old 11-10-2004, 20:36
EC

Skeetex boots are ace for keeping your feet warm, not brilliant for walking distances in on uneven ground, although tow paths are ok!