Winter Clothing

N

Nigel Moors 2

I need to acquire some new boots for winter fishing. Used to wear waders all winter but that's not always practical nor warm. Can anyone advise me of what brands work best? I am a tight git and don't want to spend a fortune, hopefully any saved pennies can be used to warm clothing. Any suggestions on that front would be appreciated. I currently have a one piece waterproof suit that I tend to sling on over whatever I'm wearing.

F

Fred Bonney

Nigel,can't help with boots,mine are 4 years old, but I think the maker has gone out of business,shame.(Treeme)
You can't go wrong with Sundridge clothing though and they 'throw' in some boots!

M

Mel Crighton

Nigel, Check out Glasgow Angling's Ron Thompson range, I got Booted and suited last year for ?75 and the suit is a two pce so if it gets a bit warm up top you can take it off.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Moon boots are fine, and warm but they are a nightmare for walking in and extremely dangerous on the river bank.

I have a pair of Derry boots which are waterproof, extremely warm and so light you don't even know you have them on, brilliant for walking. I think they cost me about ?40 but they are worth every penny, better than any moon boots.

P

Paul Christie 3

Are there any other clothing makes that come well recommended, beyond Sundridge?

Sundridge have a good reputation, but they are also quite expensive.

I could do with a winter jacket, but knowing how clumbsy I am and how dirty I get myself, I'd be scared to use a ?160+ coat for fishing.

Are there good quality, cheaper alternatives that people have used and tested?

S

Shrek

If you don't mind what you look like, you might consider getting a Goretex British Army DPM Jacket. I've got one and it's excellent. 3 layer goretex, taped seams, wired hood with volume adjuster. Mines large enough to get 2 or 3 extra layers on underneath and the best bit is it only cost me ?30.

E

EC

Paul I am not sure I agree that Sundridge gear is expensive, yes the top of the range and flotation suits aren't exactly cheap, but there are many 1 and 2 piece suits for around ?100 mark that are spot on, and you do get a 2 year guarantee mate, something which I don't believe any other angling clothing manufacturers give!

See the other thread/s or reviews for reports on their 'igloo' suit! Best ?120 or so I ever spent!

Cheers

EC

N

Nigel Moors 2

Graham W. I did a google search for Derri boots and first up was review by someone on the Barbel world website. He gave a good review but thought that they were a bit cumbersome. That's not exactly how you felt about them so found another hit here. These look nice and slimline and light, are they like the ones you recommend.

Does anyone have any thing to say about the Skeetex type boots?

E

EC

Skeetex boots are ace for keeping your feet warm, not brilliant for walking distances in on uneven ground, although tow paths are ok!

R

rob d

just replaced the liners in my skeetex after ten years the boots look as good as new although i dont do a lot of winter fishing. one thing to bear in mind is they seem a bit small for the stated size i normally take size 11 but my skeetex are sized 12/13 and they are a only just long enough

N

Nigel Moors 2

Mel - have checked out some Derri boots as promoted by Graham but have checked out the RT range you mentioned. The Glasgow Angling website wasn't too good but have found the range at WMAC. WMAC

Can you answer a couple of queries for me? There appears - as far as I can see - to be two waterproof sets. One a cheaper 'carp' range and the heavier duty 'specimen' set. The latter set obviously appear warmer and come with free RT thermal boots.

Is this the stuff you bought? This lot retails for ?80. Also with regard to Rob's remark above, if you have the RT boots are they like the ones pictured and do they size up correctly?

Steve Hammatt

Reaction score
I recently bought some Grauvell boots for ?35, which are identical to the Wychwood Lunker boots, except for the logo on the side and the fact that they cost less. They're bulky, but they have a good tread on the bottom and a thermal liner.

I've got Army surplus gear too. As for the price, it can vary depending on what "grade" it is, i.e. how well-used and if it's been repaired. I bought a "Grade 1" (lightly used, but you can't really tell, looks pretty much like new) Gore-tex jacket for ?45 and Grade 1 Gore-tex trousers for ?25. The older style Gore-tex DPM trousers are better since they have zipped cuffs (easier for getting on over boots), whereas the newer ones have elasticated cuffs.

Those are waterproof layers, you'll obviously need something under that to keep you warm, e.g. a fleece top and some thermals.

P

Paul Christie 3

Eddie

I did have a Sundridge clothing catalogue and there jackets were pretty expensive.

I've never priced them in a tackle shop. Are you saying the RRP is the usual load of bull and they are actually much cheaper?

E

EC

You have hit the nail on the head mate, for example this months sea angler you can get a flotation jacket for ?52 or 1pce suit ?69ish, you can still pick up the green silcatex 2 pce suits for ?100 mark and they often come with free boots, I saw an igloo advertised on the net (in a shop) for ?100 new, a steal!

It all depends on what you consider as expensive though mate! Sometimes I blow ?50quid or more on a night out (less often nowadays with rugrats knockin about)so to spend over ?100 on something which will keep me warm and dry for years is money well spent in my opinion, esp when I consider how much my rods and reels etc have cost!

There are cheaper ways though, our friend here talks about the army issue goretex,I have seen one and they are top drawer, I also know that buying base layers thro shops that advertise in runners world magazine is silly cheap compared with other named brands!

david parker 2

Reaction score
sundridge specimen active 2 piece thermal suit - rrp 100 but currently ?50 at swiftys tackle. a bargain imho. keeps you warm and dry in the worst weather.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
I can vouch for the Sundridge Specimen Active. I bought one this time last year, it is very warm, totally waterproof and has that little bit of extra room in it for the more mobile angler. I paid more than ?50 for it though but at that price I am tempted to get another and put it away for when my current one gives up on me.

david parker 2

Reaction score
i paid ?99 for specimen active - well worth it even at that price. Snap them up at ?50!

N

Nigel Moors 2

Well done guys, have just ordered the Sundridge stuff from Swifty's at what is an outrageous bargain price. Thanks all.

Oh have also picked up some Chub field boots for ?20 as suggested by Rob via e-mail. Thanks once again.