Day Ticket Rivers in NW

Andy S

Reaction score
Hi All,
Does anyone know of any good day ticket stretches for rivers around the Manchester area? I normally fish the Dane on my Lymm ticket but have a friend coming up this weekend and so will need to find a good day ticket stretch.

I'll primarily be targeting Barbel and Chub and also maybe trying a bit of light trotting for roach, (Rons thread has given me a bit of a thirst for this).

Travels not too big an issue within reason ie I'd consider going to the Ribble and obviously the Dane.

thanks in advance

J

John McLaren

Andy, if you don't mind going up the M6 to the Ribble there is the Bonsai Stretch only a short distance off the motorway at junction 31. Follow the signs for Blackburn and look out for the sign to the Bonsai Nursery on the left half way up the hill. I don't know how much but have a feeling its ?5 - but there are good Bills in the river if its mild. Further up the road bear left off the dual carriageway following Clitheroe signs for several miles and just through Clayton-le-woods turn left at the lights and follow the road towards Ribchester, you will pass a pub on the right just before a sharp left over a bridge which crosses the Ribble, Dewhurst Farm is immediately on the right over the bridge - ?3 per day.

S

snotman

Andy, Do you know the Dane below Byley bridge near Middlewich, thats day ticket on bank, ?3 I think. Roving approach best, fishes well with some water in and colour (as I'm sure you know), should be Ok this weekend. As John says above, the Ribble Bills may show at Bonsai if its mild as it appears it maybe, but harder otherwise. Depends if you want quantity or quality?
Good luck.

Andy S

Reaction score
Cheers fellas. I've had some lovely fish out of the Dane but may be tempted to give the Ribble a go as i've never fished it. Would you say it was similar (in size and fish) to the Severn as i've fished this a few times.

Snotman do you think the Dane is easier than the Ribble? and do you think the fish in the Ribble on average are bigger? Just trying to get a picture of it.

The weather reports are looking good for Saturday, can't wait.

fred hall

Reaction score
Andy, besides the Dewhurst Farm stretch there is also the Ribchester Village day ticket stretch about a mile further downstream. Buy your ticket from the Spar shop in the village-you will have to produce a valid rod licence.
I would hesitate to say the Ribble is like either the Severn or the Dane which I have only seen.
Drop on the chub or barbel and you will enjoy yourself but be warned that this time of year is always iffy. Look at the recent venue reports on this site. As regards bait my advice is to stick to maggots, bread and pellets.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Andy there is also a day ticket stretch downstream of the motorway. Tickets at garage. This also allows you to fish a stretch just bellow the bonsai stretch.

Andy S

Reaction score
cheers

Having now decided to fish the Ribble i've just done a search for 'Ribble' and had close to 600 hits! Many of the threads are pretty much along the same lines as my own so apologies for that your all probably getting bored of reading these.

Here are my findings, for any other hapless sod trawling through the archives. Starting downstream:

1. Church Deeps (?3), Tickled Trout(?4) i've read there are car thieves around here and the TT stretch is pretty grotty. So i'll probably give these a miss.
2. Bonsai Nursery (?5), this sounds very good and worth checking out for Barbel & Chub.
3. Ribchester, Dewhurst Farm (?3) this sounds great and probably my first point of call.
4. Ribchester, Village again this sounds good but maybe too near urbanisation for me?? I don't know i'm just guessing from the descriptions.
5. Mitton EA Stretch (?4), this sounds fantastic for chub, very secluded.

What do you guys reckon? Do you think Dewhurst is the best starting point? Is the Tickled Trout section grotty? Is the Village stretch quite urbanised (i'm probably miles off the mark on a few of these so apologies in advance).

I'll take some maggots and won't be dissapointed if I blank as from what i've read i'll be privelidged just to be fishing on this river.

hugh middleton

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about the River Goyt in the Marple area? My daughter has just moved there and I would be interested to know about species,permits etc.

Thanks,
Hugh

J

John McLaren

Andy, I have not fished the Dewhurst Farm stretch - I often fish a club stretch immediately below, but it seems really good value and would definitely be my first port of call if I was in the same situation as yourself.

It is impossible to compare the Ribble to either the Severn or the Dane because it depends where you are fishing. In that general area the River is about 35 yards wide with stretches of shallow stickly water interspersed with deeper slower stretches. My own preference this time of year is to fish the deeper steadier runs (Float or feeder/leger as appropriate) with bread or maggot/caster, but pellet and paste is definitely worth a go if it is not too cold. As always, finding a nice crease to fish is worthwhile. Also,if possible, stay into dark particularly if it has been bright and the fish have not been biting - there is always a chance of some bites in those first couple of hours, sometimes later (have a look at John Conway's venue reports especially).

The bottom is strewn with rocks and boulders so be prepared for losses of terminal tackle. Good luck.

S

snotman

Andy, John's given you some good advice about approaching the Ribble. I fish Dewhurst farm but it gets very busy on saturdays and not that many comfy pegs and there are less barbel than on the lower stretches you listed.

Theres no comparison between the hard Ribble and the prolific Dane but the Ribble has far more quality but usually less quantity, and can be very tough even when conditions appear OK. Good luck.

M

matthew nightingale 2

What's Dewhurst Farm like. A pal of mine is planning to fish it. Are there any good Barbel to be had and is it possible to fish at night?

TIA

M

Andy S

Reaction score
When my mate arrived I told him that the Ribble sounded like a quality venue but can be hard compared to the Dane from what i'd heard. With it being a one off trip we decided that it would be best to fish the Dane.

The weather was perfect but the river was running quite low. I had a good day and caught 2 barbel (5.1 & 5.5), 1 chub (4.4) and a grayling (8oz). My mate wasn't quite as lucky and blanked but did have a few runs. Even though he blanked he still had a great day out and thought that the Dane was a fantastic river.

I'm joining Warrington AA today so will be spending a lot of time getting to know the Ribble. So thanks again for the advice.

J

John McLaren

Andy, looks like you may have made the right decision, the weekend venue reports from the Ribble were not spectacular - although fish did come out. I'm there tomorrow so I'm hoping for better things.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Hugh

The Goyt above Stockport is predominantly Trout and Grayling. It's fairly prolific and quite underfished. The Trout go to at least 6lb, grayling average 12oz with a few over a pound. Give it a go, I'm sure you won't regret it.

I've not fished quite that high up the river but I believe you can fish in Brabyns Park for free.

J

john conway

Dewhurst House has thrown up Chub to just under 6lb and barbel to just under 12lb, when the conditions are right. But it can get busy some weekends. However, having said that, I've fished it at weekends and I've been the only angler.
Andy S email me and I'll send you a word doc article I did for the 1st FM Ribble Chub Fish-in which has directions to other day ticket waters you haven't mentioned, namely Elston.
Why not come to the next fish-in on the 19th and meet other Ribble anglers?

john charlton 2

Reaction score
john elston is no longer day ticket and hasnt been for 2 years.it is shared by wigan and st helens,wigan permit is 22 pounds for season no waiting list.the confusion lies in the fact you pay at the farm to park,not for a day ticket.i was on a fortnight ago,the bailiff came there was about 8 people with no permit.sat on the nearest pegs for parking and 1 caught a big double there ,as members had to walk to farrer swims.there is no excuse for not having a permit there are signs up to say so,also as i had to do buy a permit from any tackle shop in wigan or st helens area.?22 no waiting list!