Landing net/keepnet thread

M

mark williams 4

Damned if I can remember the thread that's on the end of angling accessories. Can anyone tell me?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Quite correct. It has become an industry standard.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Ron but why has it become so?
It's an odd thread to use, is it not?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What makes you thinks its strange Phil? Its been the standard thread gauge in industry, along with whitworth, since the turn of the last century. BSF (British Standard Fine thread, for those who don't know) is a finer thread than Whitworth and less inclined to loosen. It did the job perfect up to now so why would we want to change it?

P

Phil Hackett 2

Graham
Have you ever tried as a member of the public to obtain such a nut and bolt from the outlets availabe to the general public?

More chance of finding Rockin Horse manure!

M

mark williams 4

Graham and Phil have answered my next question. A source of 3/8 BSF bolts.... I'll try some of the local factors unless someone knows somewhere near Peterborough. Thanks to everyone.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have a recollection that the 3/8" BSF thread came about in the 50s due to the fact that the biggest manufacturers of fishing tackle accessories such as landing net handles, rod rests and other things was H. Steade of Sheffield.

It's like many other things in industry which use accepted standard interfaces, ie the Nikon bayonet fitting on camera lenses, the screw thread on camera tripods or the Code 3 connection on filter cartridges.

The cost of re-tooling would be astronomical.