River Roding

Jub Hurren

Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering if any1 knew a good spot to fish the river roding?? thanks jub

Steve Dent

Reaction score
Hi Jub
It depends where you mean on the Roding I was brought around Buckhurst Hill
and used to fish between Loughton and B/Hill
There was always plenty of roach, perch and gudgeon ? but the M11 took care of most of these, however there are still plenty of fish in the river. Two years ago my brother had a Two pound roach out of the stretch from the cascade onwards although he said it was quite hairy with the brambles and overgrown bushes and trees. He also caught chub to three pound and I have seen a pike to about eight pound. Also if you can get hold of a copy of Improve Your Coarse Fishing dated October 2003 there is an article by Chris Dawn (ex local ) giving you a guide on the stretch from Loughton (Debden) by the M11 junction through to Roding Rd/ Cascades. Hope this helps, Also let me know where you want to target and I may be able to help ?
Steve

Jub Hurren

Reaction score
Steve ur an absolute legend that really helps. I had a few sessions where the roding runs past roding lakes by david lloyd. I live in woodford green and im happy to do a bit of travelling to find a good swim. Ill have a look around for that edition of IYCF. Thanks again

Steve Dent

Reaction score
Jub if you can@t find that edition let me know and I will try to scan it for you.
Just a note we moved out of Woodford Green / Clayhall area last year to the Norfolk Broads (I digress sorry) One thing the guy says in the article travel light.
Also if you walk the bank from Chigwell Rd tip opposite Maybank rd down towards Southend Rd/ Tescos you will see the chub darting about
Steve

Jub Hurren

Reaction score
I cant find it on ebay or anything and ive emailed the magazine to see if they keep old copies but i doubt it. If its not too much trouble then scanning that would be a massive help, dont worry if its a problem. I always try to travel very light when im fishing rivers anyway, i like to be as mobile as possible. Thanks again
Jub

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
Jub about 10 years since I fished it.We used to dabble when the Carping was slow at Wanstead Park.The stretch near their.Roach to about 1.5lbs,Perch to about a 1lb.

But it has done Barb's to about 5lbs recently.Around Loughton by all accounts

Jason

Steve Dent

Reaction score
Hi Jub
Re article:- I could not find a way of attaching IYFC article on this forum so I have put some links below hope it works just copy an paste to your browser ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/stephendent/IYCF1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/stephendent/IYCF1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/stephendent/IYFC3.jpg

Maybe somebody could advise us of an easier way to do this
also Jason mentioned that Barbel are in the river ? I have not heard this but as I said I have not fished the Roding for years so good luck.

Steve

fred hall

Reaction score
Jub must confess when I saw the title of this thread I thought that you were asking for advice on which fishing rods to buy for use on any river!

Jub Hurren

Reaction score
Lol fred. thanks steve those articles are brilliant. I had another session today and imhaving problems finding decent size fish. whatever i do i seem to be swarmed with tiny fish around my bait but cant get anything bif enough to fit the bait in its mouth. What to do?

Steve Dent

Reaction score
Just persevere
Also that IYFC article may help
and one day when I visit B/Hill I think I will bring a rod with me so might see you
Best of luck

Steve

Jub Hurren

Reaction score
steve u know 2 of the links u have posted are the same? there is 2 of the IYCF1 and IYCF2 is missing. Thanks for all the help steve

hix066

Reaction score
Anyone still got the info?

Hi,
Does anyone still have a copy of the article at all? I just unearthed this thread whilst trying to find intel on the Roding around Loughton area. I'm keen to find out where is best to start looking to fish. There is a lot of water to walk up and down so, if i could narrow down my search areas it'd be a great help.

Cheers

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Maybe someone can scan the article and put it somewhere we can see it. I grew up fishing the Roding - 28 mile round trip on a bike as an 11 year old. Can't see that happening today.

But barbel? Or is this just an urban myth?

hix066

Reaction score
If someone has the jpeg files or indeed the article and a scanner, I have loads of hosting space so can put them up on the web for all to get at. Photobucket has a nasty habit of self cleaning after a limited time. I can keep them there for time infernal :)

Andy Banham 2

Reaction score
river roding

hi all
i look after 2 1/2 miles for my club and the ea did stock barbel in the upper stretches and in the pollution of 2003, 30 or so were fished out dead weighing around 5lb even though they went in at a few ozs. no one or an organisation has been fined for this or several pollutions since. we have a few in our stretches however they are not up to colonising at the moment. we have a few potatoe growers upstream and they are allowed to take water all year round.i dont know why the ea dont enforce the building of reservoirs to harness the winter floods that happen every year now between oct and may. also in 2003 crayfish being more mobile over land made the 10 mile trip to our stretches. 3 species are in the river. our perch have benifitted growing very quickly but in the long term may suffer. there are carp 3 varieties including leathers and tench, pike, barbel perch,roach,rudd, chubb,dace,gudgeon,eels. there are no inbetween fish they are either small or a good size which is worrying.if we have another pollution of the 2003 scale which became diluted at our stretch i will be on the ea,s back everyday, one risers to a challenge however in essex they constantley fail to secure a prosecution.
andy bdac fishery officer mitchells farm river roding.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
That's fascinating. Thank you. I love that little river. Maybe I'll get to fish it again next year.

Windy

Reaction score
I loved it back in the early '80s when living in Woodford Green.

Wish to God I'd bought the four bedroomed house we students all rented together back then for peanuts with dining room french windows opening out on to half an acre of enclosed garden....

Way back then I have very fond memories of days of bite a cast fast action fury with a whip and.... golden orfe ! Plus the bloke from the local pet shop up the road who used to walk the tow path with a bucket buying the orfe for 10p each if you were willing to sell !!!

Paid for many a day's maggots that way. And they were the perfect golden coloured flashing livebait for the Pike that provided my main interest back then. Happy days on my old heavy as lead Rudge bike with the stainless steel wheels and four speed Sturmey Archer....

Was gutted to read of the 2003 pollution and even more upset to hear that nothing by way of compensation has ever been received. Let alone the crayfish plague. Good luck and all my best wishes but I fear that there will be whole year classes of fish lost wherever the crunchy plague has taken hold, not to be re-stablished until the predatory swine have starved.

Andy Banham 2

Reaction score
river rodin

hi windy/geoff
golden orfe need more dissolved oygen then most other cold water fish, they are often the first to dissappear when they are put in commercials. for there to have been a healthy population shows that the river can be clean. i think the biggest factor at the stretch i fish is the dogtoothed weir that replaced the lock gates at passingford mill. when the lock gates were in the river did have more flow and when the river was slow it did not take long to the river to fill before they were opened again. anyway i am over there today, on sunday i had a perch around 2lb after losing a much bigger one earlier on. success or failure post back later!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I drive through Abridge a couple of times most weeks. I can't believe how the river has changed. It used to be a fast-flowing mini-avon - looks more like a swampy lower ouse these days.