fishing with prawns

owzatsteve

Reaction score
what a wonderfull days fishing i have just had 86lb of roach and rudd to 2lb in the morning 65lb of bream in the afternoon along with 5 golden tench to 4lb and to my suprise every single fish was caught on prawns dident know it was such a good bait anyone else had some sucsess with them

M

Martin Womble

I always use them for chub and barbel at the start of the season,its a bait that never seems to spook them in day light where as pellet/meat tends to make them a little uneasy.

B

Budgie Burgess

Only used King Prawns (Tiger Prawns?) for Catfish at Claydon.Caught on them but then again there aint much any of the fish in there wouldnt take!

Matty C

Reaction score
hmm.. prawns.. Might use some in my barbel campeign at the start of the season.. Im thinking of doing a little bit of prebaiting with hemp and a few pellets in a wier pool I know.. (its the only place on my river which has a couple barbel in).. should I chuck a few prawns in too.. ?

Just so I know though.. is there a spacific kind of prawn to use.. or just those small normal prawns I can buy frozen from tesco ?

Cheers guys.. sorry to hijack your thread Steve.. hope you dont mind..

G

Geoff Cowen

I've always had trouble keeping them on the hook, any tips?

Matty C

Reaction score
Also.. do the crayfish go for the prawns too.. ? I would imagine they do.. if so, would pellets or boilies be a better bet.. or maybe bouncing around a piece of meat.. or would that be better later in the year, around autumn time.. ?

B

Budgie Burgess

Geoff,I used to thread the prawn on whole on a 3/0 hook.Due to the bream nibbling them I would wrap a bit of shearing elastic around the tail.Used to use them uncooked and unpeeled.The carp unfortunately liked them to.

I believe people normally use the small cooked and peeled ones for other species?

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Budgie's method of using a 3/0 hook works but I prefer to fish them on a "mount" that I make myself from lawn mower/strimmer cord. That red stuff that whirls round and cuts the grass. These are two inch bits cross cut for a point and the other end flattened with hot pliers then having a hot needle passed through it to form an "eye". This is slid down the line like a needle going in tail first right through the body to just behind the head of the shrimp. The hook goes in from underneath the head with nearly all the hooks gape sticking out above the head. Pretty much the same hook presentation when using soft plastic jigs. This way, much like Budgies method, the shrimp is presented in its "natural" shape.

Some people might not realise this, but the cooked pink coloured ones you normally buy from the supermarket etc are NO WHERE near as good as the ones that are sold for salmon anglers. Not the brightly coloured dyed ones but the natural coloured ones that are salted in a brine solution. These last for ages in the packet and are obtainable from any decent tackle shop that sells game fishing tackle. I use these myself but also obtain un-cooked shrimp and prepare them myself.

These baits are fish nailers when fished in weir pools and white water run offs below. The rig couldn't be simpler. A running drilled bullet from just over an ounce-two ounces on the mainline with a plastic sleeve inside the bullet to protect the line. This runs down to a rubber bead, swivel, hook length with the plastic (strimmer cord) mount and lastly hook. Any wide gapped hook will do in size 4-2.

When fishing weir pools I cast on top of the weir and let the rig trundle over the weir down into the pool below letting the weirs current take the bait around in the pool naturally because very often this is where your quarry will be lying. White water run offs are fished by casting upstream and letting the bait roll down in the current. A few casts and a few takes will soon let you know where the fish are lying. The secret to success lies in the shrimps presentation and fishing with those natural coloured salty baits. Keep a good grip on that rod though as the takes are mostly rod wrenching affairs!

Regards,

Lee.

Loz

Reaction score
How about tinned (in Brine)? That way I could always have some ready as a change bait

G

Geoff Cowen

Thank for that Lee and Budgie, plenty to think about for the start of the season.