anti glare sunglasses

N

Nick Lyons

I am thinking of buying some new sunglasses for fishspotting,has anyone got any good or bad reports.I have been looking at the shimano range but are they any good

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Nick, I use Polaroid glasses which I get from TK MAX, it's a bargain store but don't be put off I got 4 pairs over the last few years. The last pair I got were Designer glasses with polaroid lenses (they are labled with their properties) for ?13 and in Boots across the street they were selling the same ones for driving at ?85. I also have a pair of Shimano glasses and they are as good as any I suppose but very plasticy.

R

Richard Drayson

I`ve only ever used sunglasses by Optix for my fishing. They might not look fashionable but they really do cut down on glare and allow you to spot fish.

P

Paul Williams

I break/lose so many i can't afford to buy any more expensive ones.......but all i need is a pair of "real" polaroids a peaked hat and my hands to stop side light and i can fish spot as good as most, i long ago came to the conclusion that this is a big rip off area.

S

Steve Burke

I wear glasses and used to use clip-on polarised sunglasses. Then I treated myself to a pair of prescription polarised glasses from Optilabs (0181 686 5708. Email sales@optilabs.com.)

The difference is staggering. I can see far more and they're a lot less tiring. Mine cost about ?75 which is very much less than from a high street optician.

P

Peter Morton

I have a pair from OPTIX,money well spent.
I've had them 10years and they are unbreakable as far as i can make out,having sat on them 2-3 times a season for the past 10 yaers.They also float which is very handy if you are as clumsy as me(i use a lanyard on them now).Light and comfortable to.

F

Fred Bonney

I've had prescription optilabs for 4/5yrs agree totaly with Steve's comments.

M

Malcolm Bason

"I wear glasses and used to use clip-on polarised sunglasses. Then I treated myself to a pair of prescription polarised glasses from Optilabs (0181 686 5708. Email sales@optilabs.com.)

The difference is staggering. I can see far more and they're a lot less tiring. Mine cost about ?75 which is very much less than from a high street optician."

Steve - thank you very much! Being a spectacles wearer myself, I have been considering asking my optician if they could even be produced - so you have saved me the bother and asked my question prior to even asking it!!! LOL

I will be contacting them.

D

Dave Burr

I have used Optix for years. The last pair I bought were okay until one of the lenses fell out. I sent them back under the lifetime frame waranty, and got a new pair back by return post! Later I wrote to them asking if it was possible to get replacement lenses and how much would they cost, they sent me new lenses for FREE! They are also brilliant for fish spotting.

N

Nick Lyons

thanks very much all,at least I have got an idea now,no one has mentioned shimano !!!.
Sorry for the delay in replying but have been working on two lakes all day.

S

Simon Barnard

Can anybody tell me where I can get Optix glasses.

Cheers,

R

Rodney Wrestt

I mentioned in the first reply to your post I have a pair of Shimano glasses. They do their job but aren't as stylish as some of the other makes, I see they now make fashion glasses but I'm not sure they are polarised. The reason I said stylish is because some of the glasses available are very large and........ well they just LOOK like fishing glasses, others like the ones I have can be worn when taking the dog for a walk along the bank or taking the kids out and help fish spotting

D

Dave Burr

Hi Simon
I got mine from Exeter Angling Tel 01392 436404. I have seen them in a few other tackle shops but never the full range. If you give Exeter a ring they are very helpful and can tell you what they have got in stock. I think the brown lenses are the best for fish spotting.

K

Keith Manger

I got mine from Watford Tackle Carrier, they do mail order, I agree that the brown/amber lenses are better this time of year as they are made for low light.

F

Fred Bonney

Just by way of an update on this thread. My 5 year old Optilabs polorised prescription lensed glasses gave up the ghost, I broke the frame and cracked a lens.
Last Thursday I contacted Optilabs for a new set, sending off my order, with my up to date prescription in the post this Monday.
Today my new set arrived, how's that for service.
The cost including postage ?102.45, I think the price is unbeatable for the quality of the product.
See their website <a href=http://www.optilabs.com/homeframeset.html>Optilabs</A>

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There's a review of Optilabs here, It's an old one but still very much relevant:
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=193>Optilabs</A>

S

Steve Burke

I'd echo the recommendation for Optilabs. Much better than clip-ons and much cheaper than on the High Street, where all the standard presciption sunglasses are non-polarised. My Optilabs ones cost me ?75 eighteen months or so ago.

K

Keith Miller

Just checked with the wife, an optician, she has prescribed single vision polarised sunglasses for anglers and reckons cost about ?100. Varifocals would be closer to ?200. You would also through a High Street practice get fitting and adjustment as part of the deal.

K

Keith Miller

Wife also advises that Bolle do a wide range of products with different tints etc for a wide range of sports. I have used different colour lenses for skiing in different light conditions and know how effective they can be.

P

Paul Kendall

I just got some new glasses from Specsavers and discovered that they now offer polarised sunglasses as the free second pair - so guess what I now have a pair of prescription polarised sunglasses and have to say that they are excellent.