Because you only fish rivers..........

chav professor

Reaction score
A commercial is anywhere where you pay to fish. I like the Royalty, Throop and the Itchen occasionally - they drive me batty at the same time. Much prefer my own bit of space - fortunatley there are no barbel (the second most popular fish?) in my river, so I can escape and find a little haven away from the world........ there - thats my motivation for going.

I think fishing on top of one another and competition for 'going' swims (having seen the drama that can occur on the Pipes swim - hillarious) - is the big problem - still water or running - everyone has their own idea of fishing etiquet or experiences a lack of courtesy. Never Snobbery.

mick b

Reaction score
I do not like carp fishing and would not enjoy fishing a commercial fishery where carp were the primary species.

By nature I like to ‘seek out’ my fish, by trotting a float through various swims during using a rod and reel of the highest quality I can afford.

I also go fishing at a time that suits me and not the fish, and if I meet a congenial angler, bailiff or river keeper while on the bank I will happily stop fishing and enjoy their company.

Each of us fish for differing reasons and fish the waters we can afford using the techniques that give us satisfaction.

My only wish is that everyone respects other anglers and the environment in which we enjoy our sport.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
BUT WHO ARE THEY AND DOES REALLY ANYONE CARE!!!! I get more the other way around to be honest - which is a bit perverse really:confused:

The assumption being if you fish without a bolt rig, own a cane rod, fish a float on a carp water ('do you know the size of carp in'ere?') - you are a traditionalist police type!!!!!

Perhaps that d!ck 'ed on the Throop was thinking, 'float fishing for specimen Chub? what you really need is a bloody great maggot feeder in your swim -luuv-Ley!

chav,

Are you certain ?

I have many Cane rods and Centrepin reels that I use with traditional baits /set up's,on many of the Big Fish waters.

Knowone has ever asked me if I know whats in the water ?

You get far more on this site and other tradition angling sites, than you would ever get on my syndicate waters.

In fact the new lads on my Kennet syndicate were most interested in my New Kennet Perfection and C815 Aerial the last time I went there ?

And yes, I do fish with modern tackle as well and it's been the traditionalist who have said to me that it's not proper fishing, fishing like that ?

Sorry, but it's far more common than you think, just look at the recent posts on this site ?

Bob

chav professor

Reaction score
You, like myself are happy to fish all methods and with all types of tackle. I have been carbelling on the Avon, just as happiliy as I have freelined for barbel. Caught chub in a wide variety of methods - excepting bollies -only because I am sceptical of their effectiveness on the rivers I fish.

I dont really care much for what others think. I have had plenty of wind ups and grief for using old rubbish!!!! Believe me, if I wanted an easy life I would be using modern gear - the wind-ups are tiresome.......

Snobbishness works both ways.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
"Snobbishness works both ways."

No, honestly, it really doesn't have to. If you are perfectly happy fishing "your" way it really doesn't have to.

I happily chat away to the carpers with their bivvies, and the pole men on the other hand and, possibly because they can tell that I DON'T CARE, they don't try any snobbery on me.

Feeling superior - or inferior - only works if you CARE.

I just enjoy fishing, and being alive.

chav professor

Reaction score
:eek:mg:Yes Frank! thats the point!:eek:mg:

Forums by definition just involve people spouting stuff and nonsence and personal opinion - which others jump on and seek to critisise - I've seen it work both ways.

Live and let live! As for B.P. posting on Fishing magic - bizzarre! But then again, the tone of some of the threads recently is it any wonder there is anything of any interest posted and there are less people posting.

Let the snobishness and B.P. remain a figment of peoples imagination. As I am rarely aware of it in the 'real world' and care to ignore any such nonsence as harmless banter regarding my 'bean poles'.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Although I prefer river fishing I also get a great deal of pleasure from fishing still waters. I prefer quiet places but would never ignore commercial fisheries as they of ten contain specimen fish of species nobody else is fishing for as they are only interested in carp so good results can be had with roach and perch.

rains

Reaction score
I will behonest i have only one problem is today fishing and that is people fishing for carp on still waters with more then 2 rods they hog the whole lake and feel the need to cast out to the other side just plain greedy. Now don't get me wrong you do get the odd fella who will free up a swim or move one of his rods closer in but they are far and few

And am not joking i have seen a fella with 8 yes 8 rods sigh

dannytaylor

Reaction score
8 rods :eek:mg:

Obviously hes rubbish at fishing, dont let it bother you just laugh at him. As fishing is the sport for the "masses" its always going to attract the baboons. Its silly season at the moment when the fair weather anglers are everywhere, id rather night fish mid-week at this time of year. One of the few good points about fishing in the autumn and winter is there are less "casual" anglers about. I suppose im being elitist in a way but i dont care im sick of picking up litter, listening to anglers banging in banksticks with mallets, playing loud music, fires, bog roll in the bushes. I can see why some anglers prefer the "escape" of the rivers, although i expect some of the popular "barbel" stretches are just as bad.

One reason why i now target the eels in the summer, nobody is fishing for them so you dont have added competion and mid-week nights are often quiet :w

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Baboons...ha ha ha. That is just the perfect description.

Increasingly I find myself NOT fishing at weekends simply to avoid other anglers.That restricts my opportunities & options considerably but I do like a bit of quiet & a bit of space.Its what I want from my fishing & though it costs me fish I accept that. I look forward to the winter when it thins out a bit too.

I cannot bear noisy anglers. I had Uncle Albert next to me yesterday and I dont know what he was up to but it sounded like he was building a shed.:eek:mg:

rains

Reaction score
8 rods :eek:mg:

Obviously hes rubbish at fishing, dont let it bother you just laugh at him. As fishing is the sport for the "masses" its always going to attract the baboons. Its silly season at the moment when the fair weather anglers are everywhere, id rather night fish mid-week at this time of year. One of the few good points about fishing in the autumn and winter is there are less "casual" anglers about. I suppose im being elitist in a way but i dont care im sick of picking up litter, listening to anglers banging in banksticks with mallets, playing loud music, fires, bog roll in the bushes. I can see why some anglers prefer the "escape" of the rivers, although i expect some of the popular "barbel" stretches are just as bad.

One reason why i now target the eels in the summer, nobody is fishing for them so you dont have added competion and mid-week nights are often quiet :w
Indeed it was funny when his bit alarm when off when he was about 80 foot away talking to someone needless to say he missed it. have too agree about the colder months the lazyness of people with regaurds to litter is beyond a joke there are bins less then 50 foot away but they just leave there rubbish. Would love to know where they live as i would pick it up and dump it in there garden while they where sleeping lol

---------- Post added at 02:21 ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 ----------

Baboons...ha ha ha. That is just the perfect description.

Increasingly I find myself NOT fishing at weekends simply to avoid other anglers.That restricts my opportunities & options considerably but I do like a bit of quiet & a bit of space.Its what I want from my fishing & though it costs me fish I accept that. I look forward to the winter when it thins out a bit too.

I cannot bear noisy anglers. I had Uncle Albert next to me yesterday and I dont know what he was up to but it sounded like he was building a shed.:eek:mg:
lmao :eek:mg:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm keeping out of this. Every time I'm tempted to wonder whether Argos bivvies now come with a mezzanine requiring sixteen more guy ropes, the beggars outfish me by about nine carp to three bream.
If the fish have come to believe that tent-pegs = feeding station, pass me a piledriver...