Because you only fish rivers..........

dezza

Reaction score
And would never be seen dead on still waters and commercials, do you consider yourself to be superior?

I have found the very same attitude amongst fly fishers too.

Come on, what do you think?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be that your 'impressions' are more pre-formed than experienced from other anglers Ron?

I probably fish 80% of my time on rivers, both for coarse fish and for trout and certainly don't consider myself superior to anyone else at all.

Most of the anglers I have met on the Test and the Itchen have been ordinary chaps, very friendly and certainly not snobbish at all.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Ron I consider myself superior before I even fish! I guess the implication is river angling takes more 'skill' than stillwater. Having read 'Stillwater Angling' at an early age I've never been in doubt that applied skills in each theatre can be effective, maybe more are required on a river subject to method selected. I don't see much skill shown in the two main arms of the sport, Barbel on Rivers and Carp on lakes, indeed they are becoming very similar. I may feel that I have had more 'reward' from my fishing if I use a skill such as trotting a float; then I look at the regimented Barbel angler and his two rods, dozing and yep, I feel that I've had a superior experience to his.

dezza

Reaction score
Well PJ there have been occasions where, on this website, certain people have insinuated that they would nevaahhh.... fish a commercial.

And I am not getting at yourself because if you remember, one of the last times we fished together was on a commercial!

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 ----------

Abso - bloody - lutely....What What What!!!

What did I tell you!

:eek:mg::eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well PJ there have been occasions where, on this website, certain people have insinuated that they would nevaahhh.... fish a commercial.

And I am not getting at yourself because if you remember, one of the last times we fished together was on a commercial!

Well, those people are pretty rare I'd hope.

Yes, we fished with Mark Wintle at Witherton Farm Lakes if I remember correctly, and you 'scored' a close to 2lb roach on the pole first time out, right?

The next time Mark and I fished there we both broke top 3 secions in the wind . . . dammittt!!!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
And would never be seen dead on still waters and commercials, do you consider yourself to be superior?

I have found the very same attitude amongst fly fishers too.

Come on, what do you think?

Ron,

It has never applied to me, having fished Still waters, Running Waters, Day Ticket, Syndicate, Free, Trout ( Upstream only), Trout Reserviors, Sea (boat and shore), unfortunately there is snobbery in all forms of angling, even Internet Angling ?

But yes there is snobbery of only fishing running water and it really is a trifle boring !!

Bob

dezza

Reaction score
Well, those people are pretty rare I'd hope.

They are rare thank goodness but they do exist.

Personally I find some of the commercials, not all of course, really nice places to visit. As long as they are not totally match oriented and as long as they landscape the lakes well and there are few carp and more other species, I will frequent them.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Ron, to be truly superior you've got to do all your fly fishing upstream (but only using wet flies and nymphs - dry fly is too easy), use a cane rod for everything (I'm currently buiding a long range 3lb tc jobbie) in conjunction with a centre pin (after all what are bait boats for?).

I do think you're getting confused between skill and knowledge and enjoyment here. To fish rivers well requires a little more experience than to fish still waters well, but that's not the point of fishing. The day I stop enjoying it will be the day I stop.

chav professor

Reaction score
They are rare thank goodness but they do exist.

And you have actually had the pleasure of meeting one of them???????

I'm sure they exist in the imagination of others - i've yet to meet one. If not choosing to fish commercials is snobbery, I hold my hands up - but i wouldn't cast judgement. I'm glad they do and find even more glad theyn enjoy it - more space to do what i do. Fishing wouldn't work if we all wanted to do exactly the same thing.

dezza

Reaction score
I do think you're getting confused between skill and knowledge and enjoyment here. To fish rivers well requires a little more experience than to fish still waters well, but that's not the point of fishing. The day I stop enjoying it will be the day I stop.

But Sean there are still a lot of snobs in this sport, I met 'em and I've heard them in pubs and other places.

On one occasion when I fished a very expensive trout stillwater in Hampshire I heard one particular unsavoury ******* telling his equally unsavoury monied mate that in actual fact he preferred the rivaahh old boy.

Really, these people should have dissappeared long ago.

chav professor

Reaction score
But Sean there are still a lot of snobs in this sport, I met 'em and I've heard them in pubs and other places.

On one occasion when I fished a very expensive trout stillwater in Hampshire I heard one particular unsavoury ******* telling his equally unsavoury monied mate that in actual fact he preferred the rivaahh old boy.

Really, these people should have dissappeared long ago.

Is it wrong that someone has a preference for running water, or still?

Oh i get it! people who like or prefer river fishing are snobs..... and people who fish commercial waters are the salt of the Earth....... sounds like those 'old boys' where fishing a COMMERCIAL trout water... What, what....What what what WHAT!!! Old boy!!!

---------- Post added at 03:54 ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 ----------

I could do with a ghille to cary all my gear :D

And Danny, I'd be more than happy to be your Gillie!

Last edited:

Frank Elson

Reaction score
I'd never fish a commercial, they look and sound horrible - to me.
And I prefer to fish rivers, but sometimes have a lot of fun on stillwaters.

...but I don't feel superior to anyone who does enjoy something that I don't. Why on earth should I?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I first started fishing rivers, then also still waters and canals, and for many years have happily fished both still and running water (I stopped fishing the local canals many years ago through the lack of safe parking). I have never given a thought to the ‘superior’ bit. Personally, I am not a fan of commercial waters, apart from MF & one other, but that’s a matter of choice as my club waters provide everything I require.

little oik

Reaction score
It depends on what your interpretation of a commercial is.To me it is a venue that you have to pay to fish and that it is stocked .You might say a river is not a commie but what was Adams mill at one point .You had to pay to fish ,It was stocked at one point and the fish were basically kept there due to the amount of bait that was put in .Now I know it could be construed as very controversial but hey ho every body is different in their thoughts
I fish a commercial now and again but thats because most of the fishing over here is done a few hours either just after dawn or just before dusk,and if I fancy a whole days fishing then thats the only place i can go .
Surely its what ever floats your boat and depends on your situation.Mind you I wouldnt be caught dead at one of these super duper 10 lake complexes with on site cafe and where you need 3 keepnets and transport is laid on to take your gear to your chosen Aquarium full of starving fish

Now a half pound brook trout caught on a dry fly ,I say I say,I say that Curruthers is what fishing is all about :w

chav professor

Reaction score
So actually this whole concept of snobbery in fishing is dreamt up - a figment of the imagination!! I even suspect the term Barbel Police (a word uttered in hushed tones - in case it incites forum central to engage in WW3) used to describe people who fish in a traditional style is a load of old ball bags too.

People at the end of the day people are just generally happy doing their own thing. so long as some bell end doesn't come along and spoil someone elses day - its happy days!!!!

Yes, Dorset Stour on the throop. patiently spending upwards of 40mins building up a swim with maggots and some person barely desribable in civil words hucks up on the opposite bank and sends a swim feeder into my swim.
-What, what - what, what, WHATTT - thats not Cricket is it old boy!!!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
chav,

But it the Barbel Police who are always banging on about using more than one rod, the loosing of skills in the young anglers, modern carp fishing, fishing the Stick float etc.etc.

Therein lies the snobbery ?

Because to be honest the average Specimen Hunter ( I include Carp Anglers) could not give a dam what the traditionalist do until they start attacking their methods of fishing !!

Bob

chav professor

Reaction score
BUT WHO ARE THEY AND DOES REALLY ANYONE CARE!!!! I get more the other way around to be honest - which is a bit perverse really:confused:

The assumption being if you fish without a bolt rig, own a cane rod, fish a float on a carp water ('do you know the size of carp in'ere?') - you are a traditionalist police type!!!!!

Perhaps that d!ck 'ed on the Throop was thinking, 'float fishing for specimen Chub? what you really need is a bloody great maggot feeder in your swim -luuv-Ley!