Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 19:47

chubby48 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: litter on our river banks.

it happens a lot these days---we blame kids----but adults are as bad
Old 03-10-2011, 20:37
Moaning Marlow Meldrew

Jeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enoughJeff Woodhouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin123 View Post
We all know who the culprits are
The implication being it's eastern Europeans, Poles to be more exact.

Well, in truth, I visited a part of southern Poland about 4 years ago and there was a lot of rubbish around the streets of their city. I thought perhaps it was encouraged as the streets themselves were rather unkept, broken paving, cobbles missing in quite large areas, and a huge crater about 1 metre across on the main road back to the airport. It did look bad and I have found tackle packets myself on the bank and no doubting where they originated from with prices of 4 zl on the packets.

In contrast, I spent last week in Hungary, in Budapest their capital. NOT ONCE did I see any litter on the streets, not even the back streets, not even cigarette ends as each litter basket, and there are loads of them, has an ashtray mounted on the front. Teams of workers are constantly going around sweeping up, but in all honestly, there isn't much to sweep up. One of the cleanest cities I have ever been to and even puts us to shame.

Why it happens that some people want to spread litter is beyond me. It happens in our local woods near a makeshift laybye, which isn't really, just that cars parking there have made it so. I was even thinking of placing a notice on one of the trees saying:

WHY BOTHER TAKING YOU LITTER HOME WITH YOU?
JUST DROP IT HERE IN OUR WOODS
AND WHEN IT LOOKS LIKE A SH!THOUSE, AS YOUR HOUSES MUST,
PERHAPS YOU'LL FEEL MORE AT HOME WITH IT.

Only problem with that is, the idiots will think it's serious.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:15

Peter Jacobs is a jewel in the roughPeter Jacobs is a jewel in the roughPeter Jacobs is a jewel in the rough

Fortunatley we don't suffer a lot of litter on my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon, I've been fishing there for many years and its never really been a problem.

My experience is that you tend to find much more litter on uncontrolled stretches, or those without regular bailiffs too.

Taken the Lower Itchen, great river fishery, well bailiffed and kept and little or no litter around.

We were at a commercial in the midlands on Saturday for an annual match and the pool was perfect, absolutely no litter anywhere, clean banks well kept and decent facilities as well.
A credit to the owners!

On the way back down the motorway I was passed by a large person carrier with the occupants chucking all sorts of litter out of the windows.
so its not just a problem for the rivers.

Truly disgusting!

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Old 04-10-2011, 09:18

bails is on a distinguished road

Litter is a problem across the whole of society and there aren't enough people speak up (including myself) to embarrass those caught in the act.

All too often you see people dropping crisp packets from window, only this weekend I watched a lout with his mates blatantly throw a beer can into a field.

The government and general public need a campaign on how disgusting it is
Old 04-10-2011, 20:11

flightliner is on a distinguished road

I live very near to a "natural" woodland cemetary in lovely open countryside. A notice board just inside the perimeter asks visitors to take away any dead flowers so as not to clutter the place and to keep exactly what those interned there wished for-- in short a wooded setting. Thats what people do to the letter. Then, on leaving the place and walking in either direction you come across thrown away dead bunches of flowers by the wayside on what should be a nice country lane-- absolute twonks!!!!
Old 18-10-2011, 16:06

Michael Howson is on a distinguished road

I and my wife visit my son and his wife and family (three children)at least twice a year and travel around regularly while there.The trip from the ferry to their house is 80 miles and along that route you would hard pressed to fill a small carrier bag of rubbish and the same applies all over the country. On the odd occasion when you do see a full litter bin its because it s due for being collected. The fishing areas are the same and many stretches of river are also nature trails and as such are treated with respect . Just why it should be so different here is hard to get your head round.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

P S I forgot to mention my son lives in Denmark.
Old 18-10-2011, 16:33

redfin123 is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: litter on our river banks.

hi michael, I agree why sould it be any different here, I guess the litter louts don,t care about state of our country side or river banks. If some one dumped some rubbish on there door step they,d be the first to complain. Was,nt there a law brought out stating that littering was a crime and would be dealt with accordingly, ive never heard of any body being find for dropping litter have you??
Old 18-10-2011, 19:27

flightliner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Howson View Post

I and my wife visit my son and his wife and family (three children)at least twice a year and travel around regularly while there.The trip from the ferry to their house is 80 miles and along that route you would hard pressed to fill a small carrier bag of rubbish and the same applies all over the country. On the odd occasion when you do see a full litter bin its because it s due for being collected. The fishing areas are the same and many stretches of river are also nature trails and as such are treated with respect . Just why it should be so different here is hard to get your head round.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

P S I forgot to mention my son lives in Denmark.
Mike, I think i'm right in saying that the woodland cematery I talk about is no more than a mile or so of where you live.
Old 20-10-2011, 02:25

watatoad is on a distinguished road

A There was me thinking the thread was about a new dress code for fishing, perhaps a return to tweeds, shirts, ties and waistcoats...hehehe

River bank or town centre its an attitude problem and one that is not easy to deal with. But on private angling lakes or even commercials there is no excuse for anyone getting the blame but an angler leaving litter so lets all just make sure we are all clean and tidy.

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God
Old 20-10-2011, 18:28

terry m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
Fortunatley we don't suffer a lot of litter on my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon, I've been fishing there for many years and its never really been a problem.

My experience is that you tend to find much more litter on uncontrolled stretches, or those without regular bailiffs too.

Taken the Lower Itchen, great river fishery, well bailiffed and kept and little or no litter around.

We were at a commercial in the midlands on Saturday for an annual match and the pool was perfect, absolutely no litter anywhere, clean banks well kept and decent facilities as well.
A credit to the owners!

On the way back down the motorway I was passed by a large person carrier with the occupants chucking all sorts of litter out of the windows.
so its not just a problem for the rivers.

Truly disgusting!
That is my experience on the Avon & Stour also.

The thought of someone using a bag as a toilet and then hanging the bag in a tree for someone else to happen upon is simply revolting.

From a general litter point of view, I think we are a poor example in the UK. I travel regularly in the Eu and beyond, including Poland, and in my experience it is hard to find a place where litter is strewn around with apparent abandon in the way it seems to be in the UK. Discarded fast food cartons are my absolute pet hate.