Crayfish trapping

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I don't know if many of you were aware, but the EA early this year were proposing a new set of charges for eel, lamprey, and crayfish traps. They conducted a consultation (although it was kept fairly quiet and I only found out because our local EA Fisheries officer let it out at a meeting) and the results are now in.

I am glad to say that the EA have listened to us in part at least.

Most anglers would want the trapping of eels to cease whereas the EA wanted to increase the charge per trap. Anglers are now forbidden from removing eels from rivers and lakes as they are now considered a 'endangered' specie with less than 1% of glass eels coming up the rivers that came in the 1950s. Trapping accounted for most eel removals before even when anglers were allowed to take one or two home.

But the biggest complaint was charging for trapping the alien nuisance - signal crayfish (and other like the Turkish Blue). It was being proposed to charge £45 for UPTO 10 traps whereas many anglers who trap merely for the immediate table/meal only set two or three at most and at the same time are attempting to control a pest.

For once, the EA has listened and removed completely the proposed charge for trapping crayfish (although you will still need to apply for licences/tags fro the traps you use). A full list of new charges for 2012 can be seen here.

One up for common sense!
Z

laguna

Reaction score
Great news indeed Jeff thanks!

A couple of seasons ago I was asked by the fisheries owner for the Rudd I had just caught. Thinking in my ignorance that he wanted to see its condition I handed it to him without hesitation, it looked perfectly fine and healthy to me when..... Whack! straight on the bonce and proceeded to cut it up with a sharp knife and stick bits into his Ronnie and Reggie traps! :eek:

waggy

Reaction score
Perfect bait for crays in their own pond. Probably feed on dead rudd in there anyway. As the owner, he'll know better than anyone what's expendable.

mick b

Reaction score
Anyone can register with the EA and receive their consultation documents when the are produced.
Many are about obscure (to anglers) subjects but some, like the eel survey are worthwhile and very interesting.

thx1138

Reaction score
EA consultations

I'm registered with them, but they never informed me of either the crayfish trap charges nor the plans for more hydropower. I have the Angling Trust to thank for both of those!

Hi Jeff,
The EA's online consultation system has a feature where you can request to be notified about any new consultations when they go live.
It is possible that your spam filter is blocking the email notifications, so worth checking your settings.
Cheers

Martin