Highfield Fishery, Poulton - Any Advice?

bruce1980

Reaction score
Goin visiting my folks in Blackpool this weekend but cant go a weekend without having a dip so I'm planning on taking my pops to Highfield Fisheries!

The Oak lake sounds pretty good, stocked with Carp, Ide, Barble, Skimmer Bream, Roach and Chub and F1s!

Never caught an Ide, Barble, Chub or an F1 so wouldn't mind having a go for one of them!

Has anyone ever fished this venue and if so, is it any good and have you got any tips that might help me impress the old man!? ;)

Ps. At the risk of sounding like a cretin... Is Ide pronounced eye-d?

Cheers peoples! :D

bruce1980

Reaction score
Well, seen as though nobody seems to know anything about Highfield fisheries, I thought i'd post an update just in case someone else needs to know a bit about it! :)

Firstly, Highfield was closed, (opens again on the 1st of March) so we went to Whitmore Fisheries in Kirkham instead! Considering every bit of water I saw on the way there was frozen, the only frozen water at Whitmores was the landing net dip tank! Dont know how they managed to thaw all 13 lakes but they had!

We chose to fish the East Lake. I was using my pole and my dad was using my waggler rod. I had rigs set up for my pole but soon found that none of them were deep enough! All my rigs were set up for about 4-6 feet of water but the East Lake was more like 10 foot deep!

Unfortunately we didn't get there till about 1:00pm and even though they're 'Open till dusk' the balif came round at about 4:00pm to inform us he was closing the gates in half an hour! When I asked if they were open till dusk, he replied, not in winter! Not much fishing got done!

I got harrased by tiddlers all day, only needing to use my landing net once (not that it was a big fish, just that it was my best fish of the day and didn't want to risk losing it by swinging it in!). A mix of small Roach and Chublets was all I had!

My dad on the other had caught a fair sized fish (Think it's a Chub, but correct me if i'm wrong!) just as we were about to leave so at least he was happy!

Dad-Chub.jpg

I'll definitely be going again next time I'm in Blackpool but this time, I'll be getting up earlier, set up longer rigs the night before but most importantly, catch a bigger fish than my old man! :)

redfin123

Reaction score
yes mate ive got some advice for your old man, quote don,t wrap towels round fish it takes the protective slime off there body which makes them vunerable to infection. if you dont like touching fish do,nt go fishing.

bruce1980

Reaction score
I dont like the tone of your voice, redfin, so here's a bit of advice for you! Wind your fcukin neck in!

He picked it up with a towel so he didn't drop it, which would pretty much certainly do it more harm than wiping off a bit of slime! Not cos he doesn't like touching fish!

Reaction score
OK here's some friendly advice

Don't hold fish with cloths or towels - it removes the protective slime and leaves them open to infection.

If a carp angler can hold a double figure carp without dropping it (preferably over an unhooking mat then a small silver shouldn't be too much of a problem surely???

dangermouse

Reaction score
:eek:

Easy tiger! Have to be honest the first thing I thought when I saw the pic was "he shouldn`t be holding it in a towel".

bruce1980

Reaction score
Friendly advice is always welcome and taken on board, can do without the sarky comments though! Especially when directed at my old man!

Reaction score
Bruce

In your first post you wrote:

"Hello there!

I'll soon be posting my first (or second if you count this one) post but thought i'd say hello here first!

Very amateur angler here! Used to fish a bit when I was a lad but now i've dusted off the old 4m whip, only from now on, instead of being a lad, i'm taking the lad! (Yes, it does make me feel old!)

Always nice to be a role model so if you've got any tips you can pass on to me, i'll be more than happy to pass them on to the lad (as if I knew how to fish all along!)

Cheers, Bruce!"

You came on FM for some advice/tips I believe and you would also like to be a role model for your lad.

All redfin offered was some fish handling advice. Why not take the advice and be a good role model and act on it.

bruce1980

Reaction score
And I have received a lot of good tips and advice which I appreciate greatly but like I said, there's no need for arsey comments! What would have been wrong with something along the lines of...
don,t wrap towels round fish it takes the protective slime off there body which makes them vunerable to infection.
Rather than the sarky version trying to belittle my dad!

redfin123

Reaction score
And I have received a lot of good tips and advice which I appreciate greatly but like I said, there's no need for arsey comments! What would have been wrong with something along the lines of...

Rather than the sarky version trying to belittle my dad!

Not trying to belittle you dad at all mate just offering good advice which you should have done in the first place.

bruce1980

Reaction score
Maybe I over reacted, just dont like anyone making my dad out to look stupid (He can do that by himself!)

Obviously he (and I) wasn't aware that picking them up with a towel was such a bad thing, but now we do!

So... Apologies, Redfin! :eek:

___________________________(This is me, drawing a line under it!)___________________________

:thumbs:

redfin123

Reaction score
Maybe I over reacted, just dont like anyone making my dad out to look stupid (He can do that by himself!)

Obviously he (and I) wasn't aware that picking them up with a towel was such a bad thing, but now we do!

So... Apologies, Redfin! :eek:

___________________________(This is me, drawing a line under it!)___________________________

:thumbs:

No worries bruce, welcome to the forum.

Andy Banham 2

Reaction score
Bruce if you cannot pick up bream without a towel go to the tidal thames they are big ,they fight hard and they dont have ANY SLIME AT ALL along with other fish in the tidal. protective slime is subjective as most fish lose there slime when spawning.

holding fish with a towel is bad practice however an occasional angler is doing less damage than some speed commercial anglers throwing fish at there keepnet, the keepnet removing slime and ripping out pharyngeal teeth on the end of there disgorger if they even bother with a disgorger.