Float ledgering

Andy M

Reaction score
Just got a copy of John Wilson's coarse fishing method manual and was reading about float ledgering. Something I have never tried but fancy giving it a go in a local lake (quite shallow max 6'). What do folks think of this method and any tips?

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

It's a method not used too often these days, but it can be good fun. All you're doing really is legering and using a float instead of a quivertip (for instance) to indicate bites. It's often used byanglers who are forced to leger through adverse conditionsbut still want to watch a float. Some would claim it's more sensitive than straight-forward legering, but I'm not so sure.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Andy I have been reading about the same thing,I am going to try for carp and tench with it.I am trying it because I have yet to see a carp angler with a float out all optonics but the fish can be a way out so it seems perfect,so I am hoping it might turn quick bleeps into fish as it is something completly different to what anybody else is doing.Sorry no tips though as like you it is new to me.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The technique is simple enough. You just fix a waggler on about 2ft overdepth, cast in the bomb or swimfeeder, then tighten up until a half inch or so of float sticks above surface. Don't use any other weight on the line, and don't use a weighted float, and then both pulls and slack liners will register. It's a lot like the lift method except you're using a bomb or swimfeeder instead of a big shot. Use two rod rests to keep the rod steady.

There are varieties of my explanation but the principle is the same.

Andy M

Reaction score
T hanks guys, sounds good so will give it a try as I tend to find quiver tips boggle my eyes a bit..........er any thoughts on that while were at it?

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
It is even easier using the Polaris floats or similar, as you can float ledger any depth of water, and you can even float feeder fish. I fish Porth reservoir a bit & some of the pegs are much deeper than your rod even a couple of rod lengths out, and with swims being surrounded by trees & at the bottom of a steep bank. They are available in a range of styles & sizes & are dead easy to get on with

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Yes the Polaris range of floats really are good, especially in deep water, they are very sensitive too. 'Lokslide' are another version of the same.

I could never understand how a lift bite occurs with the Polaris type floats. I have caught 2/3oz Roach on this method with a 'lift bite', surely these smallfish have not caused the'lift' by moving the lead weight which in the larger size floats could be 1oz or more.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Hooked themselves........i have had small roach case big drop backs (butt indicators)at 60+yds with 21/2oz leads.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

well andy you can try painting the tips diff colours that may suit your eyes better or mount a target board behind it to show movement more clearly .But have you ever tried swin tipping this to me is by far the most sensitive way of fishing that you can find but ,sadly becoming a lost art. But do try the float legering its greta fun too.

geminus

Reaction score
If you like the idea of float ledgering try the lift method.

Use a straight peacock waggler attached to your line with a piece of silicone tubing at the bottom.

Then put on enough shot to just sink the float, all the weight should be close to the hook ( 1" to 12" from hook) I find 3" to 6" ideal.

When the fish takes the bait it moves the bulk shot.

The float normally either lifts (as name implies) or sails aways.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have not found float ledgering to be a particulaly sensitive method, as the bite has to counteract the entire boyancy of the float. The slider is usually a better method and is also very useful where casting room is limited eg.fishing tight under trees or when fishing tight against lilys or weed beds.