line catching round tip of rod - grrr

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
I had a nice session yesterday catching some fin perfect roach, one with the reddest fins I've ever seen. However, one annoying thing was the line kept wrapping round the tip of the rod. It's a spliced tip rod, and I was fishing quite deep (waggler dragging shot along bottom to try and beat downstream wind) and it was quite windy, so those things no doubt all contributed. In the past, one thing I've found that helps is to dip the tip of the rod in the water as soon as I've grabbed the hook. I think this works because I mostly seem to fish with the river flowing from my right to my left and I'm right handed. Thus the flow keeps the line away from the rod tip. However, yeaterday I couldn't use this trick because at my rod tip there was thick smelly mud covered in about half an inch of water. Anyone got any good tips?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Try dunking the whole of the spool in the water before casting. Or carry a spray bottle and squirt the spool every so often.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Check the tip ring; the angle of the ring should be slightly LESS than 90 degrees - often they are about 110 to 120 degrees in which case you need to very carefully bend it towards the rod WITHOUT breaking the tip or ring. But it does make all the difference. If this does not make sense then email me and I will draw a diagram.

njb51

Reaction score
Why do new rods come with the tip ring set somewhere between 110 - 120 degrees, just out of interest?

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
Thanks Baz - I always spray the reel with floatant or sinkant before tackling up. Does it have to be water? And do you know why this helps?

Thanks Mark - I've checked and the angle was indeed about 120 degrees. I've carefully bent it as you say.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Line twist is the primary cause of wrap rounds,pull a load of line off then retrieve through grass.not using a Shimano reel by any chance ?./forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Water makes the line heavier Jon. So it helps to prevent wind knots or line wrapping around the end of the rod which I think is what you are getting. I use Shiman's Tris, and don't get this problem.

What kind of line are you useing Jon? Does it curl up on you at all?

Paul C

Reaction score
Also try polishing the rod, particularly the top section with furniture polish from time to time and remove dirt. This helps by preventing the line from sticking to the blank of the rod.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Jon,

Sounds like the line might also need changing.
Old line that has been used for stick float or waggler fishing does tend to get 'curly' which causes the annoying wrapping around the tip ring.

Also, using double maggot often causes further line twist, you can avoid some of that by hooking the two maggots the opposite way around, one from the tin end and the other from the fatter end.

Hooklengths formed by a double loop can also aid line twisting, for the waggler method you mentioned I'd have been tempted to use a micro swivel for the main line to the hooklength.

And of course, the downstream wind wasn't helping you much either.

Hope this helps.

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
Thanks all...

I was using Maxima 2lb mainline. It was brand new. It didn't appear to be twisting at all. To spool it I walked out 50 yards in my garden and then retrieved it through the grass (which as it happens was wet). The reel was an abu 704. Thanks for the tip on keeping the tip clean. I check and clean the rings from time to time but but the rod itself. And I always use a simple water knot to tie my hooklength on (less bulky - the river is often very clear).

Cheers - JJ

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

When casting a waggler, I usually only have about three feet of line hanging from the end of the rod. And Bowl the line out rather than throw it out.

Yacko

Reaction score
It could be in some part due to it being new line, I always stetch the line prior to my first outing. I.E. run the line through the rod rings, tie to a fence post or the like and from ideally 30 yards away put a good bend in the rod- also point the rod straight at the post and move rod back to remove all stretch ( take care not to overload)

I rarely get this problem so if you follow all the tips you've been given in the other posts I dont think you will get this very often.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Some of the above are good tips but one of the main causes is poor casting technique resulting in loose line and wind makes it even more of a problem, are you feathering the line before it lands thereby keeping it reasonably straight until it enters the water?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Having bent the ring, and it's surprising the difference this will make, I'd try it again and see if the problem is cured.

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
More great advice. This really is a top list /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I think the springiness of the new maxima is high on the suspect list. I have a friend who is a very good fisherman and he loves maxima but says its really terrible the first time out! And I used the same rod and reel on a nearby swim on a previous occasion with a different spool of line and had only a couple of tip-tangles problems that day.

I don't think it was poor casting technique. I do feather on the cast yes. I could see the dimples as each shot landed on the water, and they were beautifully in line (one benefit of a downstream wind). No, every time the tip tangle was there before I went to cast. I'd flop the float out (as if casting a couple of yards out) to flick the tangle off, then retrieve, then cast properly.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Loads of tips here to help out Jon any of which could be the root of the problem. Another one is putting your rod in the rest and letting thr tip bounce.

I have an old Drennan medium feeder that used to drive me insane with this problem. My solution was easy. I threw it in the loft lol.

Paul C

Reaction score
If it's happening while you are re-baiting etc, the best thing to try and do is to always maintain tension in the line, so the tip is slightly bent,whilst the rod is in the rest.

I've had similar problems after playing a fish or two hard on the clutch, which has caused the line to pigtail. Try to avoid letting the line go slack and it will prevent it wrapping around the tip. It's the same when quiver tipping, only the quivertip is even more prone for it and usually costs you a new tip if you are not careful.

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
I don't use a rest. I just jam the butt between my legs (while sitting on my box). I do and try to maintain tension, but it is difficult in this swim because when I'm holding the hook the float is very near the tip of the rod (fishing overdepth to slow the bait down remember). I might get out again tomorrow - will let you know.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
That may well be the route of the problem Jon. There is little or no control on the tip of your rod (particularly on a spliced tip) when you jam the but up your crutch.