13ft avon travel rod

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know if there is a 13ft avon rod available TC 1.25 like a john wilson but 13ft has to be a travel version

Thanks in advance

trotter2

trotter2

Reaction score

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think Harrisons did a 'Sulis' which was an Avon travel rod, don't think it was 13 ft though, possibly 11 or 12.

trotter2

Reaction score
This 13ft travel float rod might be cheap enough to allow you some leeway over getting a dedicated tip rod in addition rather than trying to find the single allrounder.

Thanks Sam
I already have a John Wilson Travel avon which I use a great deal.
But If I could get a similar rod in 13ft it would be more like a long trotting rod hence the reason for asking the forum members.

Cheers appreciated.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

I think Harrisons did a 'Sulis' which was an Avon travel rod, don't think it was 13 ft though, possibly 11 or 12.

Thanks bluenose
Looked it up mate unfortunately its only 11ft similar to the wilson avon

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/reviews/12214-harrison-h-design-sulis-11ft-avon-quiver-rod.html

Bluenose

Reaction score
Not sure where you live mate or what your budget is, but Kev Baynes, Anglers Workshop, newcastle under Lyme (near Stoke) would almost certainly build you something made to measure on a quality blank, not as expensive as you'd think either!

I'm not related nor do I get a commission.

trotter2

Reaction score
Not sure where you live mate or what your budget is, but Kev Baynes, Anglers Workshop, newcastle under Lyme (near Stoke) would almost certainly build you something made to measure on a quality blank, not as expensive as you'd think either!

I'm not related nor do I get a commission.

Thanks Bluenose I will keep that in mind if nothing comes of this

Cheers:)

B

binka

If it's any help trotter i've got the Greys 12' TX Rova Float, it's a foot shorter than you wanted which is going to affect the line lay and pick up on the strike a little bit but to be honest i've not really found it any hindrance compared to when i've been using 13' rods.

I will say that the action is excellent considering it's a six piece rod with no noticable flat spots, it reacts well on the strike and the tip handles finer hooklengths with ease... no shortage of power deeper down either :)

If I was pushed I think i'd rather be handling a better 12' rod than a not so good 13' but i'm not really sure what there is on the market comparable in the 13' range so there may be just the thing for you out there somewhere.

Edited to add: If you do consider a 12' rod there's also the Hardy Marksman XT Smuggler at rrp £199, I don't know the line rating for the Greys but think it must be lighter having used it quite often... the Hardy looks more Avon style with a 4 - 10lb hooklength rating.

http://coarse.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/products/coarse-rods/marksman-xt/marksman-xt-smuggler-rods/

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it's any help trotter i've got the Greys 12' TX Rova Float, it's a foot shorter than you wanted which is going to affect the line lay and pick up on the strike a little bit but to be honest i've not really found it any hindrance compared to when i've been using 13' rods.

I will say that the action is excellent considering it's a six piece rod with no noticable flat spots, it reacts well on the strike and the tip handles finer hooklengths with ease... no shortage of power deeper down either :)

If I was pushed I think i'd rather be handling a better 12' rod than a not so good 13' but i'm not really sure what there is on the market comparable in the 13' range so there may be just the thing for you out there somewhere.

Edited to add: If you do consider a 12' rod there's also the Hardy Marksman XT Smuggler at rrp £199, I don't know the line rating for the Greys but think it must be lighter having used it quite often... the Hardy looks more Avon style with a 4 - 10lb hooklength rating.

Hardy Coarse - Products - Coarse Rods - Marksman XT - Marksman XT Smuggler Rods

the Greys TX rods are superb for the money...Forget 13ft and buy one :)

trotter2

Reaction score
Thanks lads I think the rover tx looks about the best bet.

Cheers for all the help:)

B

binka

I'm not sure where you are trotter but if you're anywhere around these parts and want to take mine out to try before you buy you're more than welcome.

trotter2

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are trotter but if you're anywhere around these parts and want to take mine out to try before you buy you're more than welcome.

Thanks for the offer Binka but I see you are in Mansfield little to far away
but much appreciated very kind.

trotter2