Coloured Hooks!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Back to the original question....I like the red maggot hooks when I am fishing in Chesterfield Canal during the Close Season. The ones I use are not very strong but perfect for the 2 to 3lb chub I get there.

I am not that sure they are any better than any other hook to be honest but I always believe that fish can see end tackle and if I can use a component of my end tackle that disguises what it is ...then I tend to use it.

I also love using them when I am trotting on the Trent for roach and chub too......

Maverick

Did you see my post about the blue duck? makes you think don't it?

I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter one iota what colour the hook is!

maverick 7

Reaction score
Did you see my post about the blue duck? makes you think don't it?

I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter one iota what colour the hook is!

You may well be right there Mark......I think these things sometimes gives the angler a little bit more confidence more than anything....and if they think they are going to catch more then that can only help.

I mean if carp cannot see the hair rigged size 4 hook to an orange boilie ...then they almost certainly cannot see a size 16 half embeeded in the bait.

I didn't see the post about the blue duck......but I will look now after this.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Anyone seen the piece on Bob Roberts and Stu Walkers Video where he puts a bright blue plastic duck in the middle of a shoal of feeding Barbel? throws the Idea of camouflaged gear right out of the window :eek: :eek: :eek:mg: :)

You're right mate.....it does make you think.

Maverick

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You may well be right there Mark......I think these things sometimes gives the angler a little bit more confidence more than anything....and if they think they are going to catch more then that can only help.

I mean if carp cannot see the hair rigged size 4 hook to an orange boilie ...then they almost certainly cannot see a size 16 half embeeded in the bait.

I didn't see the post about the blue duck......but I will look now after this.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

You're right mate.....it does make you think.

Maverick

If you have not seen the Barbel days and ways CDs then you are missing out! Really great footage of barbel feeding and also showing how your bait functions under water!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think that disguising it so that it looks like a edible creature or piace of food ie sticking a few grains of hemp on it does no harm and coloured hooks on trout and predator lures may help visually When we used to fish for herring of a night off southend pier we always did better with plain silver hooks than brown or black.

Last edited: